Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welding galvanized nuts and bolts...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Well I intend to live as long and as healthy as possible. If you choose differently, then so be it, that is your choice. Hopefully everything works out for you. (I meant that in a sincere way, no sarcasm)

    I mean no insult to Handy, and this comment is not directed at him. But not everyone has a high level of common sense, and it is better to cover all the bases. You know what they say about assume...
    Last edited by Admin; 03-10-2008, 09:07 AM. Reason: Added to post
    Owner of Burnt Beard Fabrication & Welding Ltd.

    BigBlue 500D
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 211
    4' Box and Pan Break
    IR compressor

    Comment


    • #32
      Shorerider, you are coming off as a little too arrogant for your own good. You do not know it all nor will you ever. You should really tone it down a bit if you ever want any credibility. There is being safe and there is being paranoid. A little balance will go a long way. Everything is not all one way or the other. There can be some leeway in almost everything in this business. Spend a little more time in it and you should see that. If you don't see it or won't, you won't last very long.


      Read the AWS pages again. They say it better than anything will...and they do contradict you. Are you saying you now know better what to do than the AWS does? The man is trying to weld a few bolts. They won't kill him now or later. He isn't talking about being in pressure vessel or anything like that...he wants to weld some bolts. We are talking extremely minimal exposure here...not anywhere near enough to require more PPE than one normally uses. If he uses the methods I have laid out, he will have zero exposure. I have only been doing this almost 1.5 times longer than you have been alive. I do know what I am talking about.
      Don


      '06 Trailblazer 302
      '06 12RC feeder
      Super S-32P feeder

      HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
      Esab Multimaster 260
      Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

      Comment


      • #33
        And once again, if you read my post you would see that I am simply saying that it is important to cover all the bases and take nescessary precautions. Like I said, some people will misinterpret perfecty reasonable advice, or misapply it to another scenario. I am not paranoid, I take shortcuts and calculated risks regularly just like every one else. (And have gotten chewed out at school more than a few times for "improper use of a grinder") If you have gotten the impression that I walk around in a captain safety outfit you are wrong.

        You say I come across as arrogant, mabye that is your interpretation, but that is not my intention. Personally I think that you overeacted as well, but hey, that's from my perspective.
        Owner of Burnt Beard Fabrication & Welding Ltd.

        BigBlue 500D
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 211
        4' Box and Pan Break
        IR compressor

        Comment


        • #34
          Now hold on a minute...you pulled the trigger first, kid...and you got called on it and.... now you don't like it and feel the victim??? Gawd...now I have heard it all.

          You didn't say it was important to cover the bases...you said I was being irresponsible with my posts. What I said was almost exactly what the AWS guidelines dictated. If you disagree, take it up with the AWS, not me. Like I have said, I have been doing this a lot longer and have real world experience with this stuff. I have welded electro plate, hot dip, cold dip, paint on, etc....if it is galv, I most likely have welded it under numerous conditions. I have done it under OSHA's nose, MSHA's nose and the Army Corps of Engineer's nose just like I dictated and have never ever been cited for incorrect procedures or anything. If I was not being safe, I would have been nailed a very long time ago.


          If arrogance is not your intention, then learn how to express yourself better, because that is how you come across when trying to correct everyone else.
          Don


          '06 Trailblazer 302
          '06 12RC feeder
          Super S-32P feeder

          HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
          Esab Multimaster 260
          Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

          Comment


          • #35
            I have to say that I agree with Don on this one. As long as ventilation is adequate, the man shouldn't have any problems with exposure to toxic fumes. I also feel that people who don't have as much experience should learn how to shut up and listen to the people around them. I don't see how it was figured that Don was being irresponsible with his posts, he was giving the man advice that comes from years of experience working with the ****. I've been doing some galvanized work myself here lately, been doin it right outside the shop door with plenty of ventilation and I haven't had any problems with breathing or feeling sick or anything else like that. As long as common sense is used, there shouldn't be a problem, especially since the man is only welding a few nuts and bolts here and there and the exposure will be minimal.
            At Home
            Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
            Performance Tools 6" Bench Grinder
            Craftsman Hand Tools
            Craftsman Cordless Drills

            DeWalt Angle Grinder
            1976 AMC Jeep CJ7
            1980 Ford F150 Custom
            1994 Chevrolet Silverado C1500

            At Work
            Miller Bobcat 250
            2 Miller MM251s
            2 Miller MM252s
            Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC

            Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
            Snap-On Flux Core Welding Machine

            Hypertherm Plasma Cutter
            Victor Torches

            2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4x4

            Proud American Ham KE5TJA

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by DDA52 View Post
              Now hold on a minute...you pulled the trigger first, kid...and you got called on it and.... now you don't like it and feel the victim??? Gawd...now I have heard it all.

              You didn't say it was important to cover the bases...you said I was being irresponsible with my posts. What I said was almost exactly what the AWS guidelines dictated. If you disagree, take it up with the AWS, not me. Like I have said, I have been doing this a lot longer and have real world experience with this stuff. I have welded electro plate, hot dip, cold dip, paint on, etc....if it is galv, I most likely have welded it under numerous conditions. I have done it under OSHA's nose, MSHA's nose and the Army Corps of Engineer's nose just like I dictated and have never ever been cited for incorrect procedures or anything. If I was not being safe, I would have been nailed a very long time ago.


              If arrogance is not your intention, then learn how to express yourself better, because that is how you come across when trying to correct everyone else.
              Not really sure where I complained, just stated that you came across as being rather "hot." I also never pointed a finger at anyone, it was a genreral adress.

              Either way, this is now totally pointless.
              Owner of Burnt Beard Fabrication & Welding Ltd.

              BigBlue 500D
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 211
              4' Box and Pan Break
              IR compressor

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by bryce_burden View Post
                I have to say that I agree with Don on this one. As long as ventilation is adequate, the man shouldn't have any problems with exposure to toxic fumes. I also feel that people who don't have as much experience should learn how to shut up and listen to the people around them. I don't see how it was figured that Don was being irresponsible with his posts, he was giving the man advice that comes from years of experience working with the ****. I've been doing some galvanized work myself here lately, been doin it right outside the shop door with plenty of ventilation and I haven't had any problems with breathing or feeling sick or anything else like that. As long as common sense is used, there shouldn't be a problem, especially since the man is only welding a few nuts and bolts here and there and the exposure will be minimal.
                Ditto!!!
                Dynasty 350DX
                Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
                MM 350P
                MM Passport Plus
                Spectrum 375 Extreme
                08' Trailblazer 302

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by bryce_burden View Post
                  I also feel that people who don't have as much experience should learn how to shut up and listen to the people around them. .
                  Thanks, Bryce. You took the words outta my mouth. Some will learn, some won't.
                  Don


                  '06 Trailblazer 302
                  '06 12RC feeder
                  Super S-32P feeder

                  HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                  Esab Multimaster 260
                  Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Yeah, it just really makes me angry when people start arguing with others that have more experience in a certain field. Being one of the more experienced (but far from an expert) welders at our school, I run into this problem with a couple people on a daily basis and it pisses me off. When he got on here and started doing that to Don, it kinda had the same effect. I wish people would learn that they could benifit so much more from listening to people with more experience and asking them for advice than trying to argue with them. I have learned so much about welding, not only from practicing every chance I get, but also by asking (and listening) to the folks on here, my Grandad Gene, my Dad, and anyone else that has helped me along the way.
                    At Home
                    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
                    Performance Tools 6" Bench Grinder
                    Craftsman Hand Tools
                    Craftsman Cordless Drills

                    DeWalt Angle Grinder
                    1976 AMC Jeep CJ7
                    1980 Ford F150 Custom
                    1994 Chevrolet Silverado C1500

                    At Work
                    Miller Bobcat 250
                    2 Miller MM251s
                    2 Miller MM252s
                    Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC

                    Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
                    Snap-On Flux Core Welding Machine

                    Hypertherm Plasma Cutter
                    Victor Torches

                    2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4x4

                    Proud American Ham KE5TJA

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Well, Bryce....I just looked at your profile and was shocked. I would have put you as much older than you are. Well, no matter your age, you exhibit a very good attitude and a willingness to learn. That will take you very far in life. We all are constantly learning, no matter how old we are. When you stop learning, it is all over so to speak. That is when you no longer progress in whatever you are doing. We can all learn from one another, too. No two people look at things the same way and approach things the exact same. I always look for ways to improve things. If I learn a new way to do something that is better than how I am currently doing it, I could care less who is the one teaching it. Young or old, we can all teach something at some time or another to someone else.
                      Don


                      '06 Trailblazer 302
                      '06 12RC feeder
                      Super S-32P feeder

                      HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                      Esab Multimaster 260
                      Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by DDA52 View Post
                        Well, Bryce....I just looked at your profile and was shocked. I would have put you as much older than you are. Well, no matter your age, you exhibit a very good attitude and a willingness to learn. That will take you very far in life. We all are constantly learning, no matter how old we are. When you stop learning, it is all over so to speak. That is when you no longer progress in whatever you are doing. We can all learn from one another, too. No two people look at things the same way and approach things the exact same. I always look for ways to improve things. If I learn a new way to do something that is better than how I am currently doing it, I could care less who is the one teaching it. Young or old, we can all teach something at some time or another to someone else.
                        Thanks Don. I agree that no matter how young or old a person is, he never quits learning. I try to help the ones out here that are just getting started, until they get smart with me. At the same time, I am not afraid to ask someone for advice if I'm not sure of the best way to do something.

                        Another thanks goes out to everyone else here on the boards. You guys are so knowledgeable and so willing to share your knowledge with the rest of us, and that makes everyone improve. I really enjoy my time on here, getting to visit with everyone, learn tricks and techniques of the trade, and share project pics and ideas.
                        At Home
                        Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
                        Performance Tools 6" Bench Grinder
                        Craftsman Hand Tools
                        Craftsman Cordless Drills

                        DeWalt Angle Grinder
                        1976 AMC Jeep CJ7
                        1980 Ford F150 Custom
                        1994 Chevrolet Silverado C1500

                        At Work
                        Miller Bobcat 250
                        2 Miller MM251s
                        2 Miller MM252s
                        Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC

                        Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
                        Snap-On Flux Core Welding Machine

                        Hypertherm Plasma Cutter
                        Victor Torches

                        2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4x4

                        Proud American Ham KE5TJA

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Learning...

                          At 47, I am certainly still learning, in fact, I am dissapointed if a day goes by and I don't learn something new!

                          As important as learning is teaching and sharing your knowledge. Sometimes it is hard to draw the line between talking and listening. One thing i sense is that everyone here has good intentions. It is awesome how willing everyone is to share their time and knowledge.

                          OK, kiss and make up. No kissing your still hot weldments...

                          Why is it that I always seem to want to touch a piece of metal that was just cherry red a few seconds ago?
                          John

                          Thunderbolt AC/DC
                          MM 175
                          Maxstar 150 STL
                          Blue Star 185 DX
                          Spectrum 375

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Awwwwwwww, this thread is starting to give me a warm and fuzzy feeling all over.

                            Dynasty 350DX
                            Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
                            MM 350P
                            MM Passport Plus
                            Spectrum 375 Extreme
                            08' Trailblazer 302

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Soooo, What are the early signs of problems from welding galvanized?

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Saw a thread few months ago about a guy who forged all his life. One day he was doing a rush job, forging galvanized and got sick and died that night or the next day or something like that. But I think Don posted up some links to the effects of that. The poison is cummalitive, but I think it was flu-like symptoms to start with (of course coughing up cherry red blood might also be considered). Maybe Don can find that link for you again...
                                I'm not late...
                                I'm just on Hawaiian Time

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X