Welding galvanized nuts and bolts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lens42 View Post
    I don't weld for a living, so I don't mind buying a stainless steel nut or bolt once in while for welding. They have 'em at the local hardware store so it ends up being the the quickest safe solution, but of course not the cheapest.
    What is so safe about welding on stainless??

Griff

Comment

And here's another.

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3315
      RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
      sigpic

Comment

Try this!! you have to go to the how to videos and on the second page there's a clip about welding galvinized bolts

http://www.powerblocktv.com/sites/video/powervideo.php
        Last edited by 2tay530; 03-08-2008, 09:58 PM.
        Miller Digital Elite inferno
        Miller MP-10 passive helmet
        Hobart Stickmate 250/160 ac/dc

Comment

Sure, some people smoke two packs a day and live to well into their 80's, but these people are outnumbered by those who suffer from serious medical complications.

Some of the advice given out in this thread is downright irresponsible. Zinc fumes can make you very sick, and possibly kill you. The cadmium coatings on grade 8 bolts is even more deadly in smaller doses. Don't take a chance with this stuff, at the bear minimum wear a resperirator. I personally use the 3M resperirators with 2097 cartidges, as they work and fit under the welding helmets okay. (Miller elite, a Jackson flip front and a Techmen autoshade)

Once again, and I can't stress this enough, don't risk your health over something silly like this, take the proper precautions. Just because it doesn't effect you immediately, or the weak after, doesn't mean it isn't harming you. You only get one shot on this planet, why make it any shorter or sh*tier by choice.
          Owner of Burnt Beard Fabrication & Welding Ltd.

BigBlue 500D
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 211
          4' Box and Pan Break
          IR compressor

Comment

Well, you pulled the trigger...what is irresponsible? Spit it out. We have tons more experience welding dangerous stuff than you do. Some of us actually do know what we are talking about. So, what is irresponsible?
            Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
            '06 12RC feeder
            Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
            Esab Multimaster 260
            Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Originally posted by 2tay530 View Post
              Try this!! you have to go to the how to videos and on the second page there's a clip about welding galvinized bolts

http://www.powerblocktv.com/sites/video/powervideo.php
              Be EXTREMELY carefull with the use and storage of muriatic acid!!!!
              Griff

Comment

Originally posted by DDA52 View Post
                Well, you pulled the trigger...what is irresponsible? Spit it out. We have tons more experience welding dangerous stuff than you do. Some of us actually do know what we are talking about. So, what is irresponsible?
                Telling people that it is fine to just keep your head out of the plume, hold your breath, drinking milk and so on. There is no substitute for proper safety, which in this case would be a respirator at the bare minimum. The more ventilation, obviously, the better.

BigBlue 500D
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 211
                4' Box and Pan Break
                IR compressor

Comment

sorry but hot tea or coffee works better than milk. tea preferably i weld decking all the time

Comment

My nuts and bolts are nickle or chromium plated that I have to weld on to. The only galvanized nuts and bolts I ever saw were used on chain link fencing materials. As a rule, any welding smoke is generally not good for ones lungs. Smoke from galvanized is even worse. If I have to weld on galvanized, I grind off were I am welding, if I can, make sure I'm up wind not down wind and also that there is plenty of fresh air around.

Charlie
                    '77 Miller Bluestar 2E on current service truck
                    '99 Miller Bobcat 225NT for New Service Truck
                    '85 Millermatic 200 in Shop

'72 Marquete 295 AC cracker box in Shop
                    '07 Hypertherm Powermax 1000 G3 Plasma Cutter in Shop
                    Miller Elite and Digital Elite Hoods

Comment

Originally posted by shorerider16 View Post
                      Telling people that it is fine to just keep your head out of the plume, hold your breath, drinking milk and so on. There is no substitute for proper safety, which in this case would be a respirator at the bare minimum. The more ventilation, obviously, the better.

Well, I made a career out of welding galvanized. The instructions I gave him are exactly what I did. I have had numerous blood tests, physicals and so on and I have zero issues with the zinc. Using common sense will prevent any issues. If that is beyond your comprehension, I can't help that. To call me irresponsible for it is asinine. I do not put myself at risk nor do I put my employees at risk. I have to continue on and move to the next job. Deliberately making me or my guys sick does not get the work done. Read the AWS pages linked above. They say the exact same thing I said. They say to use a respirator when adequate ventilation cannot be gauranteed.

In this case, the man is welding small bolts and nuts. From his post, it doesn't sound like it will be 8 hrs a day, but rather a few now and again. Now here is when the common sense comes in. Respirators are only required when the PEL is reached or can be approached. Welding small amounts, even a dozen bolts will not even approach that level. If he is only welding a couple of bolts, he does not need to do anything more than what I said. Respirators are almost never needed outside. Stay outside and do it right, and he will be fine with zero exposure. This stuff isn't rocket science and is pretty easy to figure out as long as you don't flip out and start scaring the women with all the tall tails and overly protective crap.

You also need to get your facts right. You prescribe a 3M 2097, correct? Here is what 3M says about that cartridge." P/n 3MR 2097 - P100 filter with Nuisance level Organic vapor relief. Nuisance levels refer to concentrations below OSHA PEL. Relief refers to the irritating effects of the gas or vapor identified and is not intended for respiratory protection." Those filters also have a 40 hr maximum use span and or 30 day time frame for replacement, whichever comes first. Those limits come directly from NIOSH. So, if you think that respirator will protect you from all fume exposure, you are sadly mistaken. They are for limited exposure only. They are not a protect all or cure all. If you had a little more time doing this stuff, you would know that. You say he needs a respirator at bare minumum, the AWS disagrees with that as well.

So, who is being irresponsible again?
                      Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                      '06 12RC feeder
                      Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                      Esab Multimaster 260
                      Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Cadmium and grade 8 hardware was also mentioned. The vast majority of the grade 8 hardware available today is actually zinc dichromate. They quit using gold cadmium for the most part due to toxicity of the cadmium. If you buy new gold hardware, it is most likely a zinc dichromate.

G-8 hardware doesn't always appear as the gold stuff you see at the hardware stores. It can also be straight zinc chromate, which is the common silver coating, zinc phosphate, which is a black to gray even coating, and phosphate and oil, which looks like the zinc phosphate with a slightly to heavily crystalized appearance.
                        Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                        '06 12RC feeder
                        Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                        Esab Multimaster 260
                        Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Oh nuts...

Well, I guess the key is to avoid it whenever possible. I have been threading my own rod and taping pieces of plate to make my own nuts to avoid most of it.

It does beg the whole issue about setting up some decent ventilator for my welding area though, even for just the everyday fumes.

Thanks so much to all who chimed in...
                          Last edited by Handy560; 03-09-2008, 11:37 PM. Reason: because I can't type
                          John

Thunderbolt AC/DC
                          MM 175
                          Maxstar 150 STL
                          Blue Star 185 DX
                          Spectrum 375

Comment

As long as you are not doing a huge volume inside, a simple box fan behind you would help a great deal. Don't remember if you mention which process you were using, but with a fan, care should be taken with MIG and TIG. The fan will blow the shielding gas away and then you have more problems. You can also cobble up a simple exhaust system over a work table very easily. Small blowers and ducting or even bath type fans will do a very good job on smoke or fume removal.

FWIW, I weld on bolts all the time. It isn't a big deal at all. Just do it and be smart about it and it will be fine.
                            Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                            '06 12RC feeder
                            Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                            Esab Multimaster 260
                            Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Many of the older guys I work with have the same attitude. I've been doing this for x amount of years and nothing has gone wrong, so clearly it's not harmful. That's all wonderful until something does go wrong. I know several people who use to ride without helmets, saying that they rode well enough they didn't need them. One in particular had a bad crash one day, smashing his head very hard. Luckily he surrvived, and now that he has a second chance he wears and advocates the use of helmets.

I never said that breathing in fumes would kill you instantly, and small doses on the odd occasion may not cause any noticable side effects. However, many of the chemicals, fumes and vapours dealt with in welding have LONG TERM side effects that do not manifest right away. Once again, much like smoking, it doesn't kill you right away but how many people have died of lung cancer later in life?There are enough things in our lifes that threaten to shorten it, if you can do something to help yourself out why wouldn't you?

As for the respirators, I am well aware that the particular model I am using would not be sufficient for a 10 hour day in a holding tank welding galvanised parts, however it certainly does help to block fumes and dust. I also change my cartridges out periodically as a preventive measure.

Since this is a board that has a wide variety of users, some of who take others situations and apply their own interpretations to there own situations, which are often different, I find it prudent that safety should always be stressed and encouraged.

BigBlue 500D
                              Dynasty 200DX
                              Millermatic 211
                              4' Box and Pan Break
                              IR compressor

Comment

Glutton for punishment I suppose. Handy deserves a real answer at least. Everyone is so afraid of this stuff when it really isn't that big of a deal...IF YOU USE COMMON SENSE!
                                Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                                '06 12RC feeder
                                Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                                Esab Multimaster 260
                                Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Working...
                                X