Welding galvanized nuts and bolts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding galvanized nuts and bolts...

OK, I'm annoyed. It seems with every contraption I try to make I need some kinda part tacked on or tacked together that's galvanized, not hot dipped stuff, but the shiny typical nuts and bolts.

I know that welding the galvanized stuff gives off toxic fumes, but what is one to do?

Is there some safe way around this?

Thanks,

John
    John

Thunderbolt AC/DC
    MM 175
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Blue Star 185 DX
    Spectrum 375

just try not to breath in the fumes, in other words keep your head out of the plume of smoke

if your really concerned drink a glass of milk before hand, this coats your stomache and will stop you from feeling sick
    mm210
    maxstar 150

Comment

Originally posted by phaxtris View Post
      just try not to breath in the fumes, in other words keep your head out of the plume of smoke

if your really concerned drink a glass of milk before hand, this coats your stomache and will stop you from feeling sick
      What!! Are you serious If YOU DONT KEEP YOUR HEAD OUT OF GALVANIZED you will be sorry. It produces one of the most toxic fumes in welding. You should be wearing a respriator that will help prevent exposure
      Dont be CRAZY

Comment

I've got a "whole house fan" in the ceiling of my shop connected to the power attic vent so that they both run if the WHF is on. The fumes go up into the attic, then get sucked out the roof.

It works great!

The nice thing is that it draws air from the walls (the sill plate is intentionally not sealed to allow for the flow) and doesn't cause drafts in the shield gas.

Some kind of exhaust fan really helps. I used to just us a window fan or box fan to pull the smoke out, but when I built the shop I made sure that a permanent solution was in place.
        Syncrowave 250DX
        Invison 354MP
        XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
        Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
        Smith O/A rig
        And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Tough Question

The milk myth is dangerous. It's not your stomache you're worrying about. It's the lining of your lungs.

I don't know what the answer is. Most home garage guys don't have the resources for helmet supplied air. DON'T use a feed off of your oil-lubed air compressor. The oil fumes give you a nasty pneumonia. I don't remember the medical lingo. Yet another lung issue.

In your example: I could live with tack welds, but I try to stay away from galv.

Being a 'tough guy' may get you emphysema before retirement.
          RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
          sigpic

Comment

I try to grind the galvanized coating off of nuts with a belt grinder prior to welding. This seems to work pretty good. I try to avoid galvanized material, but I have done a little of it and avoid the fumes as much as possible.
            Jim

Comment

I wouldn't even bother grinding them.

The metal around the weld is what's giving off the fumes, not the metal under the weld. The stuff that's smoking is likely to be the thin part of the nut on the threads.

Muriatic acid is one way to eat off the coating, but then you're dealing with a substance that will flash rust every bare metal surface in your shop and also gives off its own fumes.
              Syncrowave 250DX
              Invison 354MP
              XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
              Smith O/A rig

Comment

The best "solution" I can give you is go to your local welding supply rep. and request a respirator and a fit test. You'll have to shave, but facial hair grows back but your lungs don't.

Comment

<--- learning to hold breath

Well, I used to be able to hold my breath for a couple minutes... HEY, I'm turning blue!

What about the gold-ish finish on the grade 8 stuff and the unistrut parts. Is that as nasty too?

I try to ask for and look for any old black iron nuts and bolts at the older hardware stores and fastener places. Sometime you luck out. Most of the time I thread my own rod and drill and tape plates to make nuts and fasteners.

Some things would just be nice to use as is and not have to re-invent the nut too.

Right now I have a sleeve for a 3/8" rod with a set screw that I want to weld a bolt to... Looks like I may be making one of those too.

John
                  John

Thunderbolt AC/DC
                  MM 175
                  Maxstar 150 STL
                  Blue Star 185 DX
                  Spectrum 375

Comment

I love these galv threads. If I listened to all that was supposed to have happened to me, I would be dead and buried 50 times over.

Weld the stuff all you want...just have plenty of fresh air...fan supplied if inside and do not breathe the fumes under any circumstances. If you are just messing with nuts and bolts, your exposure would be very minimal. Learn to hold your breath while welding. It would be much better to do it outside if possible. Common sense will go a very long way in this case.

But what do I know...I welded nothing but galv every day, inside and outside, for nearly 10 years straight....and that was a long time ago....and I'm still here.

One of the most toxic fumes? hardly. Try phosgene.....now that is toxic.
                    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                    '06 12RC feeder
                    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                    Esab Multimaster 260
                    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

very well said dda52. I weld the trash daily and have been for ummteen years , and the grade 8 finish is just as $hitty smelling, but thats the thing dont burn your lens on ure helmet cause youre face is propped on your nozzle and work, also if you require a income to live and to get your income u have to weld this $hit, with or without your carebare underwear on you may do it. and if theres no other choice even the biggest sissy could handle it.
                      yes u should have a respirator, but if you dont have the right equpment u make do as best as u can. wheter your trying to be tuff or not , like someone mentioned b4. im not claiming to be tuff i just like to survive, of course i dont wear my penny loafers and dockers when welding either.

Comment

dress code

What's wrong with welding with penny loafers and dockers?

Oh i got a good laugh out of that
                        John

Thunderbolt AC/DC
                        MM 175
                        Maxstar 150 STL
                        Blue Star 185 DX
                        Spectrum 375

Comment

I don't weld for a living, so I don't mind buying a stainless steel nut or bolt once in while for welding. They have 'em at the local hardware store so it ends up being the the quickest safe solution, but of course not the cheapest.

Comment

I work in the refinery and mostly weld galvanized. We use a 3m brand 1/2 mask respirator with the 2097 filter. Said it's for galvanezed fumes. My union welding instructor has been welding for 30+ years and all he does is hold his breath. I heard lot of people say that milk is bull, but hey, doesn't it do a body good?
                            I'm not late...
                            I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

I looked into a respirator, but the AO one I tried wouldn't clear the hood.

I welded 90 gr5 nuts last week and I'm not dead.
                              Syncrowave 250DX
                              Invison 354MP
                              XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                              Smith O/A rig

Comment

Working...
                              X