What to make a spindle out of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to make a spindle out of

I know this is a welding forum but I figured there'd be people here who know metal well. I'm wondering what the best metal would be to make a spindle out of. The spindle will be for a bicycle wheel/hub. I was wondering if I should make it out of mild steel, so it's soft and can be turned on my mini-lathe, then take it somewhere and have it hardened? (I believe it has to do with heating it to a certain temp for a certain time period and/or cooling it in some type of oil) Or possibly make it out of 4130 chromoly solid round, or maybe something I saw on the internet called tool steel?
    Anyone have suggestions?

This is what i would use. Just turn it and use it as is...Bob
    Material General Purpose Water-Hardened W1 Tool Steel
    Finish/Coating Decarb-Free
    Shape Rods and Discs
    Rods and Discs Type Rod
    Tolerance Standard
    Application Drill Blanks and Rods
    Specifications Met American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
    ASTM Specification ASTM 686
    http://www.mcmaster.com/
    Bob Wright

Comment

Could you describe the specific use for this spindle/axle? Pictures?

I had a through axle machined for one of my bikes a while back. Custom 150x12 axle. The shop that did it for me just threaded a piece of Cold Roll that was the closest size that would fit. It worked fine. That being said, some of my other bikes us what would appear to be a hardened steel, and my DH bike uses an aluminum axle.
      Owner of Burnt Beard Fabrication & Welding Ltd.

BigBlue 500D
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 211
      4' Box and Pan Break
      IR compressor

Comment

Well, since you seem to be a rider, I'm sure you know what a lefty cannondale fork is? I bought two lefty wheel sets off EBAY, specifically because they were fairly cheap. I 'assumed' that the spindle on the lefty fork was removable, and I'd be able to retrofit the spindle to my project handcycle. However cannondale didn't make the spindle removable (much to my confusion and annoyance)
        I ordered up some of the tool steel that was mentioned in this thread. I am going to just make (by cutting, drilling, tapping etc) a makeshift assembly to see if it'll even work. Then if so, I will try and turn one on my mini lathe. I really don't think it'll be under any super stress. But I like to over build. I figure this'll be a very unique setup and probably the only one like it. The lefty hub on the back of my handcycle will look trick and to those who know what they're looking at, it'll be something different.

Comment

Cannondale, figures! (The only company that is proud of grinding their welds)

Sounds like a cool project, make sure to post some pictures.

As for the tool steel, you may have a hard time machining, drilling, tapping, etc. depending on just how hard it is, there are many different grades and hardnesses of steel available. I know that I tried drilling out an impact socket once, and the socket wooped the drill bit's *ss.
          Owner of Burnt Beard Fabrication & Welding Ltd.

BigBlue 500D
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 211
          4' Box and Pan Break
          IR compressor

Comment

Working...
          X