Thank you Miller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you Miller

In January I entered Millers last chance drawing(on my birthday) and a few weeks later I got a letter saying I had won a Maxstar 150 stl. I had to buy the TIG torch and regulator and finally had a chance to play with it.Here is my first attempts at TIG, 3/32 tungsten, 105amps dcen, 20 cfh argon. The first one is an outside corner on 3/16 angle iron. The bottom one on the 2nd pic is my first attempt with filler 1/16th. dip filler, dip tungsten argh, resharpen, dip filler, dip tungsten argh, resharpen oh forget it. Top of the 2nd pic is butt with 1/16 gap took my time, ahh thats better. I cant figure out how to break the arc without a pedal and keeping the sheilding gas on the weld. Third one is same thickness of metal, same settings still can't figure how to break the arc. Well I'll keep practicing and see how it goes. Once again thanks Kari and everyone at Miller.
    Attached Files

Congrats!!!

Greatest of congrats to you. I hope you enjoy your 150 as much as I enjoy mine.
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

Comment

Originally posted by rotty View Post
      Dip filler, dip tungsten argh, resharpen, dip filler, dip tungsten argh, resharpen
      LMAO!! Oh, and don't think that will ever go away.
      I cant figure out how to break the arc without a pedal and keeping the sheilding gas on the weld.
      Since you've got a brandy new welder, I'm sure ya want a quick answer; even if it's something I read (I have a pedal). Add a dab (or 2) of filler to mound the end of your weld. Pull the torch straight back until it 'long arcs'; then twist your wrist to whip the arc dead. This is supposed to keep arc tracks off your piece.

EDIT: There will probably be an air bubble in the end 'mound'. Good reason to buy a 4 1/2" grinder.

Since there's no mention of TIG in the title, someone with more experience than mine may not see this.

I think you should use Daylight Savings Time as an excuse to buy a pedal. It's the reason I own a TIG.

OBTW: You can't weld mill scale. Its sparking will hit the tungsten, and you already know the rest (weld fulla holes).
      Last edited by Craig in Denver; 03-04-2008, 10:32 PM.
      RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
      sigpic

Comment

Congratulations! You will have lots of fun with your new welder.

Originally posted by Craig in Denver View Post
        OBTW: You can't weld mill scale. Its sparking will hit the tungsten, and you already know the rest (weld fulla holes).
        I wish someone would have told me this when I started tigging, fourth try on the same joint I figured it out...
        Owner of Burnt Beard Fabrication & Welding Ltd.

BigBlue 500D
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 211
        4' Box and Pan Break
        IR compressor

Comment

can i trade you my piles of steel ,which my dog loves to crap on,for your new toy ?????
          my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
          feel free to P/M me

Comment

Working...
          X