hole saw,s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hole saw,s

I have a project that i have to cut 4 holes 1 3/8 diameter, through 5/8" cold roll steel. Would a bi-metal hole saw due the job if oneused plenty of cutting oil and kept the saw cool? I can,t afford to buy a drill bit or have a machine shop due the job. Please let me know thanks.

Yes, If you have a drill press that is powerful enough and will go slow enough. I use hole saws regularly to cut 1" - 1.5" holes in 3/4" plate. Slow and steady with plenty of cutting fluid or oil to keep the saw from smoking and to keep the chips clear.

Comment

With slow speed, plenty of fluid and even feed an ordinary bi-metal hole saw works great.

I have cut quite afew 3 inch holes in 1/2 inch plate with the same holesaw, still looks sharp as new.

Comment

Just for what it is worth, if you need a 1.375" accurate round hole, a hole saw may not be to best tool to do it. They sometimes kind of get the wiggle wobbles so the hole may end up 1.4375 inches; at least in places.

Comment

Drill your pilot hole and then use a piece of round stock (smooth bar) to hold the center of the hole saw. This eliminates the flutes of the drill bit from wearing the pilot hole as you cut and keeps the saw aligned a bit better.

Use the slowest speed you have on the drill press and lube with 30w or something similar. WD40 is a waste in this application.

Also, once you get your cut scored (so you know exactly where the blade is running), drill a hole or 3 on the ID of the circle to allow the chips to fall out.
          Syncrowave 250DX
          Invison 354MP
          XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
          Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
          Smith O/A rig
          And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Originally posted by dr watson
            With slow speed, plenty of fluid and even feed an ordinary bi-metal hole saw works great.

I have cut quite afew 3 inch holes in 1/2 inch plate with the same holesaw, still looks sharp as new.
            What brand of holesaw is that?
            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by pollaccia View Post
              I have a project that i have to cut 4 holes 1 3/8 diameter, through 5/8" cold roll steel. Would a bi-metal hole saw due the job if oneused plenty of cutting oil and kept the saw cool? I can,t afford to buy a drill bit or have a machine shop due the job. Please let me know thanks.
              http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PMPXNO=947776

I would get one of those for $25.00, or an American made one. And then just drill a pilot hole and let this thing go to work. I would use a magnetic drill press or a stationary drill press if possible. But you could do it by hand with a big half inch drill motor. You might have to sharpen it a few times though.

Or you could get, rent or borrow a magnetic core or broach machine with a 1 3/8" broach.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Comment

Jim, I have a full assortment of Morse hole saws for bigger holes like that - my collection goes up to 4". They last a very long time if you keep from stripping teeth off them.

Lennox also makes a good hole saw with the arbor that you switch from blade to blade. I have a couple of these and they're holding up nicely as well.
                Syncrowave 250DX
                Invison 354MP
                XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
                Smith O/A rig
                And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

I believe it is a Milwaulkee, nothing super expensive, it may be a Lennox, I will have to look.
                  Tim.

Comment

I looked at the 3 inch holesaw I use, it is a Lennox brand, and still sharp enough to scrape skin off your thumb.
                    I also have a Morse 2 inch that has also cut a few holes in 1/2 inch also and still sharp.
                    As long as it is good quality and used with coolant and slow speed you should get decient life out of it.

Comment

Thanks for looking.
                      Jim

Comment

I have cut hundreds in plate with hole saws, I use light lube like rapid tap and only a few drops per 1/8 inch of thickness and usually don't bother with a drill press. You can drill to about 1 1/2 or so fairly well by hand. In 1 1/8 it cuts about half inch a minute easily and I primarily use a battery drill, here is a cut after 20 holes, still cutting 3/8 in 35 seconds with oil 3 times.
                        I use them all the time to cut over size holes, even weld up worn holes and re-cut. I use for repairing worn holes in draw-bars on tractors, use it similar to a ream. I had worn holes in a loader bucket the other day, they were originally 1", I started a 1 1/8 saw in them, cut them oversize at about 20 seconds a hole and put oversize pins in, saved hours of difficult rebuilding work.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here is a common one, the hookup here is 3/4 and a bushing and special pin is always needed so I re-cut the hole to 1" so we use our common typical setup. I rarely use a drill bit or even a press on holes larger than 3/4, I clamp things to the bench so I can push or most often doing it in place on the machine such as this one. Super fast, easy and leaves a nice looking hole.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here is another bucked modification, made it interchangeable for a couple applications. I think I even measured one wrong, welded the plug back in, moved it 1/4 inch and re-cut it. No big deal.
                            Attached Files

Comment

nice work Sberry.
                              is it your farm or you working for some one else. if you just work there i bet you have saved then big $$'s being there in the repair shop/biz. you often have a simple, quick solution as apposed to the normal longer drawn out option. always neat to see your work.
                              thanks for the help
                              ......or..........
                              hope i helped
                              sigpic
                              feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                              summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                              JAMES

Comment

Working...
                              X