Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way to weld this thick plate on homemade log splitter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best way to weld this thick plate on homemade log splitter?

As you can see we're down to the final stretch on "Homemade Log Splitter Project" Everything is tacked and getting ready to have some fun.

Looking for opinions on the best way to weld this together. GMAW or SMAW?

Main question is welding the wedge to the beam. I want this to be rock solid for obvious reasons. I hope the beveling is obvious from the pics. The wedge is 1 1/4" thick getting welded to the beam that is 5/8" thick on top. I know preheat here will be important, but how much? And how do you tell the temp.?

Stick will give better penetration, right? but can I weld this with my MM251 and get the same end result.

I have .035 solid and .045 solid wire. I also have some Trimark Triple 7 flux core. (I've never used it before) It says, "An excellent choice for a variety of heavy fabrication applications, Triple 7 wire is suitable for use in industries that work with heavy plate or heavy gauge steels such as shipbuilding, railcar and pressure vessel fabrication, along with certain types of pipe welding applications.

If some of you guys think the 251 won't cut it and stick is the only way to go then why?? If it has to be SMAW then what kind of rods??

Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated. Thanks. Marshall
    Attached Files

Stick with what you know best.

Your 251 will work just fine. LWS has temp sticks preheat to 250f-350f and weld till you have a 1/2"-5/8" fillet on the wedge, and fill the rest to full thickness with a 1/16"-1/8" cap.

Good luck
    TJ______________________________________

Comment

looks good, just be shore the lil hand is out of the way.

anyone ever tell ya you have little girly hand's.
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

If the triple 7 is .045 then I would use that. It is a dual shield wire so use gas with it. Either straight CO2 or C-25 is fine. Keep the polarity the same as solid wire. Run a couple practice beads on some scrap to get used to it. I think you'll like it.
        MM250
        Trailblazer 250g
        22a feeder
        Lincoln ac/dc 225
        Victor O/A
        MM200 black face
        Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
        Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
        Arco roto-phase model M
        Vectrax 7x12 band saw
        Miller spectrum 875
        30a spoolgun w/wc-24
        Syncrowave 250
        RCCS-14

Comment

stick or flux core

I used to have a 251 & the only way i would use it would be with flux core 232 or 211 min. I could not get my 251 to spray transfer. If you can then mig would be ok.But why take chances on the most crucial weld on your project, I mean if you hit a knot or something very hard & that breaks it could kill someone standing close by
          pipe pro 304

350P

Dynasty 300

hyperthem powermax 900

Thermal arc pro wave 185

Comment

you'r worried about a log splitter when you've got your hood up in the background. Come on where are your priorities, oh wait your welding!

The cored wire will do fine, you can typically run it one size up from solid wire on the same settings. It is going to give you a better penetration pattern in the steel than the solid wire will. The solid wire will be ok if you use it just make sure you follow recommended preheating for that size and control the arc precisely where you want it and you will be fine.

It looks great.

Is it hard to find gloves that fit?

Comment

Nothing gets past you guys in these pictures.

You should see the tight spaces I can reach into with those hands.

The Trimark is .045 and I am leaning towards giving it whirl.

But it's like GRPWELD said "I mean if you hit a knot or something very hard & that breaks it could kill someone standing close by"

I don't want to screw this one up.

Comment

when you done weld a link of chain to it so in case it breaks it doesn't go far. I can't see it actually going flying though, it would probably peal off
                Dynasty 200 DX
                Millermatic 175
                Spectrum 375
                All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

You dont have much of a bevel so you better weld it with 7018.

Comment

When in doubt,use 7018

I'm with Shield arc on this one, I would definitely use 7018
                    Jeff

Comment

Warm it up real good and pour the 7018 to it, the slag will fall off, can't go wrong!

Comment

7018 would be my first choice, not to change the subject but how much snow do you guys have we come up and grouse hunt every year a little north in park falls. just curios?

Comment

In Wausau we have a good foot in a lot of places. Everything definitely snow covered. Park Falls is about 2 hours NW of Wausau, I don't know for sure but I'd bet they have about the same or more.

Thanks Everyone for your input so far. I'd like to give the 251 a work out, but going with the buzz box and some 7018's is probably the way to go.

I really wanted to try the .045 Trimark Triple 7. Who knows maybe I should flip a coin. If it peels off it would make for some real nice pictures to share.

Comment

the cylinder you chose looks very similar to the one i used in my log splitter build here's the link

your 251 will weld it just fine, just give it 3 passes, (i have welded much heavier stuff under alot more stress with a 251) the logs won't know what hit them!
                            The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

Comment

Look up the specs on triple 7 it is a very good wire, made by Hobart. 90,000 tensile strength/79,000 yield. This stuff is used in heavy plate fab, pressure vessel ,etc. It will do the job as will 7018.
                              MM250
                              Trailblazer 250g
                              22a feeder
                              Lincoln ac/dc 225
                              Victor O/A
                              MM200 black face
                              Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                              Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                              Arco roto-phase model M
                              Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                              Miller spectrum 875
                              30a spoolgun w/wc-24