No announcement yet.

dealing with the extreme cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually stick on Pan heaters are the best bang for the buck ($46 bucks at Greggs) Heats the oil, heats the engine and dosen't draw a lot of power. There is a diesel fired coolant heater available, appears to work well. I don't install them yet due to potential liability issues.

As for covers, we have the full versions only for the Classic 3D/Pipeliner 200, Vantage 300/400, and Ranger 250/305G

Actually a covered 300D with a 150wt pan heater will easily start it at -30.

We use 50 watters for the 305G, again easy to start and no air cleaner heater is needed when it has a cover on it.

Cruizer located in South Edmonton 887-WELD

Comment

Once you have it started just leave it running...
      Cheers,
      Chris

PipePro350 SS,Pro300 SS,X-tremeVS,Dynasty200DX,MM251, SA-200 Redface,SA-200 Shorthood,SAE-300

Comment

I have a Ranger DLX which is on a deck and wide open to the elements. I bet that it probably makes a big difference being out in the open like that compared to a skid unit. I know it started in -25 to -30 in early December but there must be a point somewhere in between -30 to -45 where it just freezes up solid.

Comment

canadians suprised by -30 temps, now that is a shock!

oil pan heater and keep sides on the machine and you should be ok
          mm210
          maxstar 150

Comment

There used to be a guy here that has a 300dlx and plumbed in into the heater hoses on his truck so it was warm when he got to the site.
            The little Perkins should start pretty good in the cold but I'd be sure to have lght oil in it. I like the oil pan heater idea.
            Jeff

Comment

I put one of those circulating heaters on my truck to warm the cummins, it is awesome. pretty expensive though. I got the esbar version of it.
              for -40 u gotta let it run for 2+ hours, but by then its like starting it in the summer. let it idle for a minute and take off. in warmer weather the heater gets it right up to operating temperature.

I just have a trailblazer on the back of my deck, but I also mounted a air compressor right behind it then built a 3 sided cover to go over top the compressor and goes up against the welder, so once the welder is running it blows into the cover and circles back into the welder helping it warm up fast and keep warm. still need to do something about warming it before cranking though. A stick on oil heater would help out a lot i think.
              Freelance Fabber
              Mobile>
              '01 Dodge 1ton w/deck
              07 Miller Trailblazer 302g
              Miller HF251-d
              3hp air compressor
              Spectrum 275 Extreme
              Shop>
              Miller Dynasty 300sd
              Lincoln Migpak 180

Comment

Originally posted by J hall
                There used to be a guy here that has a 300dlx and plumbed in into the heater hoses on his truck so it was warm when he got to the site.
                The little Perkins should start pretty good in the cold but I'd be sure to have lght oil in it. I like the oil pan heater idea.
                The trouble you can get into with the heater hose idea plumbed into the truck is both pressure differential and line breakage. these lines are usually mounted on the frame rails. they can break especially with the pipeline guys who are usually stuck in the muck or sand and have to be towed with a dozer, or back roads and such. It's happened before and suddenly you either aren't welding or you aren't going anywhere. At a neg temp, not a good idea.

If your in Canada and you see a lincoln welder cover with embroidery in "Classic", "Vantage", or "Ranger" that came out of our shop....

Comment

Originally posted by pipeline Dan
                  It was -33 today and with the wind chill she dipped down to -48!! I went into Calgary to do some running around today and didnt see any job sites working everything was at a stand still. I guess I am real lucky, I have never had a problem with my pipepro starting(because of the cold) and its never had a cover. DMK do you have a skid or a deck?? I wondered if a machine has a better chance at starting in a skid? If you look at alot of deck trucks they are alot more open to the elements as a posed to a skid that is often alot tighter for space. which would make it harder for the wind to blow right on the motor/battery. The wind is blocked from my motor/battery because my tool boxes, I wonder if that makes a difference?
                  I think the confines of a skid would help, kinda like my un-insulated garage is an improvement. Forecast calls for -41 here tonight, I don't even want to know how much windchill I plugged the car in so it will throw a little heat before I get to work!
                  at home:
                  2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
                  2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
                  2008 Suitcase 12RC
                  Spoolmatic 30A
                  WC-24
                  2009 Dynasty 200DX
                  2000 XMT 304
                  2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
                  Sold:MM130XP
                  Sold:MM 251
                  Sold:CST 280

at work:
                  Invision 350MP
                  Dynasty 350
                  Millermatic 350P
                  Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

I feel lucky with -25c with windchill in the B.C. interior! We are working on 15cm fresh snow today. Hmm might have too go skiing tomarrow.

Comment

A low cost hillbilly solution is to cover it in a tarp or plastic and put a trouble light up against the block. It's cheap and there's not a lot of installation time LOL

A 100 or a 60 watt bulb kicks out a lot of heat.

Comment

The cold

-53, shut down. My biggest problem is the de-compression cable getting stuck. Any Miller welder, -60 no problem. I run a skid set up in 3/4, have big boxes for tools, kinda tight! For the amount of time the cold snaps, (on a tight budget) heated horse blanket and a little love keeps your equipment going. Pipeline Dan has a good point about keeping things enclosed. I vent engine heat to keep warm my acyt bottles. Gives them a lot more kick.

Comment

Frozzen

The best in trouble and things are frozen, find a wash bay. (easier said then found, I look for them) Five bucks, wash the underneath of your truck and presto, things start. Funny work with a lot of rig hands. +30 everything plugged in and drained, -30 everything frozen full, sitting on a lease for days. Keeps us busy!

Comment

I have had some issues of this nature, over night I have left a 1500 watt electric heater in the open area of the engine compartment and wrapped it all up with a air space around the heater keeping the cold out and warmth in just raising the temp a few degrees has helped. My old diesel is problematic and the heater in the oil dipstick tube has worked for that one.

I agree with most of the guys a visit to the auto supply may net the result you need.

Good Luck and stay safe in those cold temps,

Comment

I went out this afternoon and fired up my F-350 7.3 Powerstroke after it sitting for 2 days in -30+ weather and had no problems with it at all...she's a trooper. Now if i could just get that old Lincoln to fall in line! I've decided to store it at my in-laws shop for tonight cause I have a job to do tomorrow morning. This way she's guaranteed to start and make me some money. I think this cold snap is coming to an end anyways...-26 C here today and it feels down right tropical!!! -4 by next Tuesday...shorts weather!
                              I don't think any of us in these parts (including Winterpeg) are shocked by these temps, but it sure doesn't mean that we can't grumble and complain about it now does it Now if I lived in Winnipeg I'd be miserable all year round!

Comment

What weight oil do you have in it?
                                Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                X