dealing with the extreme cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dealing with the extreme cold

I awoke today to temperatures of -33 Celsius with wind chills of -48. My truck started, but my poor old Lincoln would not. I had it plugged in but I guess at these temps it just doesn't matter.
    I finally got it going after taking it to my wife's uncle's shop and letting it thaw for over an hour.
    I was wondering if there is some kind of heater that I can buy for it. Where does a guy buy those winter covers and how much are they?
    Any advice is once again greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.

There is a guy on here named "cruizer" that sells them and he is close to you I BELIEVE.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

I have used a heat gun to start cold engines--1952 Cummins HBI at 0F (-18C) to be exact. Blow into the air intake while cranking. Depending on the air cleaner setup, it might need to be removed to avoid fire. Usually crank up the oil pressure with the fuel shut out and compression release pulled before trying to start. The hot air pulled in during this time may help warm things a bit, but mostly gets the lube up before the heavy bearing load of compression and power strokes.

Have also drained the water and refilled with hot water, but prefer not to as trapping air can be a problem. Not recommended for some motors.

Comment

an electric blanket works great but remember to remove it before starting.
        trail blazer 302
        hypertherm plasma
        millermatic 251
        high feq. arc starter
        suit case (extreme 12vs)
        o/a torches
        way to many other tools to list

Comment

dmk welding,
          I use a magnetic heater stuck to the oil pan. Got it at NAPA

Comment

Originally posted by Finney View Post
            dmk welding,
            I use a magnetic heater stuck to the oil pan. Got it at NAPA
            I bought one of those from NAPA this morning actually and took it back. Do you keep it on there over night? Is it good for these really cold days?

Comment

I've built a fire under my drill rig before, but I would not recommend it, especially with todays laws.
              We installed an electric oil heater on one of our tractors but that was over 30 years ago and I can't remember exactly how it went in. I wonder if you can buy one that would replace the oil drain plug?
              To all who contribute to this board.
              My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
              Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
              Miller Syncrowave 250
              Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

DMK, What machine do you have?
                Jeff

Comment

Stick on oil sump heaters
                  0W-30 or 5W-30 synthetic oil...really helps.
                  Battery blanket/heater
                  Figure 4-5 hours for the heater to do a lot,
                  usually plug em in the night before.
                  Dave P.

Comment

dmk welding,
                    We leave it stuck on all the time and plug it in when you get in from work.

Comment

f you have lots of money these heaters are nice. They heat and circulate the coolant like a boiler.

More realistically, get a tiger torch, 6 feet of single wall stove pipe, and a 90 degree elbow. I forget the slang term for these when I was up North of you but they work well if you don't mind starting a little early to warm things up.
                      For the really cold weather you can remove the battery each night and keep it someplace warm. Warming a battery just a few degrees sometimes can make a big difference in cranking power. There is a trick to that that I have done and will reluctantly mention here. Reluctant because I don't want to get someone hurt. In desperate situations I have direct shorted a battery out negative to positive for 10 or 15 seconds with jumper cables. This causes the battery to warm a bit, and warming more than makes up for the power lost by shorting. You can only do this once or twice before you kill the battery so like I said, desperate measures.
                      You can drain the oil at night, take it in somewhere warm at night, then refill in the morning.
                      Parking it in a sheltered place at night, running it late at night then covering it with an old comforter, and putting a spot light or light bulb near the battery are a few other things that can help.
                      Don't burn the building down.

Comment

i have used the magnetic ones with good results, they also make one that hooks into the raideator hose that keeps the anty freez warm. again good results. kept it/them pluged in over night
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                        JAMES

Comment

Somebody may have mentioned it, but you can buy a heater that circulates coolant. Some of our trucks have those mounted on the frame and plumbed up. Seem to work well. It would be easy to install and runs off 120v. Pump and heater are in the same unit

Man I'm glad I don't live up there. COLD !!!!!!!!!!! 30 deg F and we're freezing here
                          Scott
                          HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

The circulating block heater gets my vote, I bought a magnetic oil pan heater but haven't used it yet. What model machine do you have? cruiser should have a cover to fit your needs. Here's his website with his info: weldalert
                            at home:
                            2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
                            2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
                            2008 Suitcase 12RC
                            Spoolmatic 30A
                            WC-24
                            2009 Dynasty 200DX
                            2000 XMT 304
                            2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
                            Sold:MM130XP
                            Sold:MM 251
                            Sold:CST 280

at work:
                            Invision 350MP
                            Dynasty 350
                            Millermatic 350P
                            Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

It was -33 today and with the wind chill she dipped down to -48!! I went into Calgary to do some running around today and didnt see any job sites working everything was at a stand still. I guess I am real lucky, I have never had a problem with my pipepro starting(because of the cold) and its never had a cover. DMK do you have a skid or a deck?? I wondered if a machine has a better chance at starting in a skid? If you look at alot of deck trucks they are alot more open to the elements as a posed to a skid that is often alot tighter for space. which would make it harder for the wind to blow right on the motor/battery. The wind is blocked from my motor/battery because my tool boxes, I wonder if that makes a difference?
                              DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                              PIPEPRO 304
                              TO MANY TOOLS
                              JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                              rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
                              and easily upset
                              go flames go

Comment

Working...
                              X