Bobcat Bucket build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobcat Bucket build

Got a call from a custmer for a bobcat bucket repair, the only problem is that the bucket was used for snow removal. The bucket is cracked and torn apart so I told him to go buy a new one. Customer said he'd like one custom built. Does anyone here have experience with building buckets, I've repaired them in the past but never built one from scratch. Any comments, suggestions or blue prints would be a great help. I'll probably pass this job up due to the fact that I will probably lose money, but I'm just curious to see what others have done.

I have been reading a site called skidsteerforum lately,you might check there also. I think your advice was right on, as a new or good auction bucket is not that much. I have a Bobcat on my near term to buy list so I have been trying to get schooled-up a little. Good Luck, Jeff
    P.S. The old one would have to be pretty bad to not be worth fixing though.
    200DX 350P 625 Plasma & other stuff I forgot

Comment

The old bucket was destroyed. literally torn in half. Snow removal plus salt build up and not washing your machine will lead to this. Although I did love the phone call. Customer said "the bucket has a little crack in it, just hammer it back together and weld" Ha HA. I wish I had a digital camera to take pics.

Comment

Sound like the stuff I have to use at work!
        200DX 350P 625 Plasma & other stuff I forgot

Comment

What size bobcat is it.I know they sell 100" buckets i fixed a few in my day they also sell 72"sno buckets.Get prices on new ones then figure your materials and time.You maybe right about having him buy a new one buy if he insist you build one salvage the bob-tach plate and have at it.
          BB402D
          TB300D
          DIMENSION652
          MM250X
          MAXSTAR140
          S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
          HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

HERE is a link to SFT where i posted the build of a 6' bucket.

have fun it's an easy build and it goes fast.
            The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

Comment

thanks for the reply tigman. Just out of curiosity what was the cost involved in building the bucket. Also if I'm not asking too much do you have a drawing, the dimensions and patterns would be great to have. I don't have a press brake and the company i use always wants CAD Drawings. If you built this off the top of your head no worries. All I have to say is thanks and terrific job.

Comment

Originally posted by tigman250 from SFT
                bent it up myself (on my bosses brake) and it couldn't be any easier, bottom flat of the bucket is 25" the first 45deg angle is 8" the vertical running up the back was 16" 45deg angle on top was 9" and a 2" 90deg lip on the top edge for strength. add all them up and you get 60" i started with a 5'X8' sheet and it was enough to get the sides out of it too.
                no need for CAD drawings, at 25" bend at 45 deg then at 33" another 45, at 49" another 45 finally at 58" a 90 deg bend. any fab shop should almost be able to bend this by instruction over the phone if not a hand drawing should eliminate any questions. bend the 90 deg bend first, if you save it for last you won't be able to bend it.

it was a while ago but i think material was arround $300 or a bit less
                The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

Comment

Originally posted by diamondfab View Post
                  The old bucket was destroyed. literally torn in half. Snow removal plus salt build up and not washing your machine will lead to this. Although I did love the phone call. Customer said "the bucket has a little crack in it, just hammer it back together and weld" Ha HA. I wish I had a digital camera to take pics.
                  I recently did one for my neighbor, he said the same thing, "just a few angle iron braces is all it needs".LOL Biggest problem was he kept using it after he talked to me and really bent it up. It was also badly rotted out.
                  Here's a link to that thread, but the main point I want to make is the extra bends on the bottom of that design on his bucket to add strength to the bottom to keep it from bending into a smile.
                  The pic is just a rough drawing to show those bends, its pretty self explanatory.
                  Don't know if this helps much, but I like the idea of the extra strength.
                  http://www.millermotorsports.com/mbo...ead.php?t=9131
                  Attached Files
                  To all who contribute to this board.
                  My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
                  Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
                  Miller Syncrowave 250
                  Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

To Tigman and the others thanks a bunch. I priced the new bucket out for the customer today at $1200 and he said go for it. I'll be starting it mid next week, I'll let you guys know how it goes. Those pics are almost exactly like my bucket nightmare.

Comment

I know Im of topic but I want to sway Jeffs cars and trucks towards other possibilities, Jeff tell me what you think you need a skidsteer for.

When I bought the property where my shop is and my soon to be house I thought I needed a back hoe. I was completely wrong.

I also had many people tell me to get a bob cat.

Tell me what your plans are so I can steer you in the proper direction.

I have a dozer, Front loader, Tractor with a york rake, a snow plow, hilo-fork lift, and a back hoe, wraped up in one package.

Its a compact utility tractor. They are a great multi tasker.

John Deere, Ford, and Kubota all make them.

I hate to be brand specific, but I own the John Deere which is extremely user friendly, and I think the ford is also user friendly but to do it over again I think I might sacrifice user frienly with durability that the Japaneese Kabota offers.

Keep in mind my John Deere which is USA tractor also has a great Japaneese Yanmar motor in it.

Sorry to get way off topic but this board is about helping people and thats what Im trying to do.

Jeff feel free to cantact me and I'll give you all the info I have.

Comment

I built this bucket for a customer about 5 yrs ago, Couple yrs later I ended up buying the machine after the engine blew up. Pics are dark but built it just like what was mentioned above, Its really a mulch bucket, a little big for dirt but have used it for that and works well. Bottom back top all one piece,
                        Portable welder, I'm with you, The skidders have their place but a Kubota or John Deere compact tractor is more versatile, heres a couple pics
                        Scott
                        HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

oops

Forgot pics,,,,ha ha ha The Kubota is a 3830 4x4 with loader...great tractor.
                          Attached Files
                          Scott

Comment

we did some figuring at my shop before purchasing a snow bucket for out 06 cat skid steer, buying was cheaper than building
                            mm210
                            maxstar 150

Comment

Sometimes it is cheaper to buy one if they are avaliable. Some equipment is old and buckets attach different than newer ones.
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X