Mag Drill??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mag Drill??

Looking into purchising a Magnetic drill. What brand to you guys have or prefer, Millwakee, Hougen, Jancy, etc???

I have a jancy JM101 have had it 8 yrs and has never let me down also i have the 2 " deep cutters bought them with the drill instead of the 1" deep.They make many different new models as i said mine is old.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

It all depends on your application and intended usage.

I REALLY like the Hougen HMD150 for getting into tight places and drilling frame rails etc. and for overall fabrication work. Nice, light, and compact. Rotoloc Annular Cutters 1 Depth of Cut. Did a very nice job for me.

I've also had very good experiences with the Milwaukee 1/2" Mag drill (sorry, do not remember the #) It was a much heavier drill. Quite a bit harder to move around & adjust, and came with a standard Jacobs 1/2" chuck. Despite being a bit of a behemoth, it also did a very nice job.

If I had to choose between the two, for MY applications, I would definitely purchase a Hougen.

Hope it helps.
      Later,
      Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Comment

cleveland steel tool mag drill

I just recently bought a mag drill from these guys,it was fairly cheap and their prices for the cutters are really good.So far I'm happy with it although I have nothing to compare it to.Drilling through 1/2 inch plate with a 1" cutter takes approx 20 seconds so seems alright to me.It also comes with a 1/2" drill chuck.

Comment

Hougen....

Comment

I have a Milwaukee but the Hougen is a better value cutter wise IMO!

Good luck!

Tom

Comment

I chose CS Unitec. The owner of the company actually took my order, nice guy too. He sounded like a hands on type of businessman. He knew his product and was able to help me choose the right drill and cutters.

http://www.csunitec.com/magneticdril...ticdrills.html

I would buy from him again.

Comment

at we got the dewalt (i cant remember the model #)
                they quit making it and parts for it .
                it sucks! it wont stay stuck to your work. it pulls off really easy.
                it also bogs down easily
                my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
                feel free to P/M me

Comment

For Quality and light weight the Jancy M-101 and the hougan are top of the line.

I own the jancy and like the light weight.

I was just at a waste water treatment plant erecting a crane and the fab shop forgot to drill 2 holes 7/8 Dia.

No problem, up the ladder, straped it upside down to the beam, located drill bit,turned magnet on and drilled away.

Try doing that with a huge mag drill by yourself.

The small Jancy and the Hougan weigh about 26Lbs.

They also have larger models.

Comment

We've got them all. They're all good. Most guys like the compact machines because their easier to handle. If you can find one with an offset to drill in corners, it's a really handy feature but the gearbox is just another thing to fail.
                    2008 Miller Trailblazer 302D
                    2007 Multiquip 225SS
                    2001 Multiquip 225SS
                    1986 Winco WG270
                    1984 Lincoln SAM 400

Comment

mag drill

Originally posted by BUDDY View Post
                      Looking into purchising a Magnetic drill. What brand to you guys have or prefer, Millwakee, Hougen, Jancy, etc???
                      I dont know a whole bunch about mag drills and the best brands but I myself have a Walter and it works real well, never powers out or lifts off the work piece. I dont know where it stands in the line of names but it works fine for me.
                      DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                      PIPEPRO 304
                      TO MANY TOOLS
                      JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                      rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
                      and easily upset
                      go flames go

Comment

I just ordered a Handy Mag I from Cleveland Steel Tool today. Looks to be a rebadged Evolution, but I'll know more when I get it. They are super friendly and helpful. Price wasn't bad either. How about $637 shipped with 3-1/2" cutters and 3-3/4 cutters? That would have been almost 800 elsewhere on the web and nearly 950 locally. Basic machine is $549 and the are running a special now until 3/31...50 bucks off an order over 500 clams.

I have seen that Hougen HMD150 in action. That is a cool drill if you need to get into tight spaces, like truck rails....which is what I was working on at the time.
                        Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                        '06 12RC feeder
                        Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                        Esab Multimaster 260
                        Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Working...
                        X