Doing a really difficult 4130 cage at moment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing a really difficult 4130 cage at moment

In 22 yrs of doing this this is by far the hardest one . the front down tubes took me 8 hours to do Its on a nissan 300 zx with T roofs that still need to be removable and all the stock interior and dash brace is to go back in I will post some pics in the next few days what a pain this one is .
    Miller aerowave full feature
    Lincoln power mig 300 with prince gun
    dynasty 200 dx
    lincoln sp 135 plus
    302 trailblazer
    s22p12
    powcon starcut
    cp 400 metal spray

I can believe it, my best friend does cages and when I stop over there I many times wonder how the heck he got the tube into that location and then the fun part of welding it to the halow bar.

And then the kid your doing it for brings his buddy over and his buddy says
    ( Oh I could of done it but I dont have a machine at home )

When that happens you got just chuckle to keep from strangling the kid to death.

Comment

dandimand, howd you get into putting cages in car? School or self taught? I know how involved they can be and curious how people get into this work.

Comment

I'll swap you that cage for a two seater gyrocopter I've been involved in, 64 hours of just welding so far and more to come all in 5/8 and 3/4 diameter tubes and wall thicknesses of .035 or .049. It's been the toughest job I've had to do in years, I've enjoyed it but it sure has been tricky getting in amongst a myriad of tubes coming in from all directions.
        Regards Andrew.
        We are tig welders, gravity doesn't worry us.

Miller Dynasty 350 Tig.
        OTC AVP300 AC/DC 300 amp hybrid wave Tig. (now retired)
        Kemppi MLS 2300 230amp AC/DC Tig for home with all the bells and whistles.

Comment

Well the cage is done have to do a parachute mount if i can clean the shop up abit today will take some pics it doesnt look that difficult but the front tubes took forever as had to make a jig to get the angles just right so everything would fit back in and work .self taught to answer your questions basically you either have the talent or you dont . ps wanted to do a good job as i Guess the guy that owns the car has a rig welding company in the tar sands in alberta
          dynasty 200 dx
          lincoln sp 135 plus
          302 trailblazer
          s22p12
          powcon starcut
          cp 400 metal spray

Comment

Here is a few pics sorry not the best quality pics .
            Attached Files
            dynasty 200 dx
            lincoln sp 135 plus
            302 trailblazer
            s22p12
            powcon starcut
            cp 400 metal spray

Comment

Looks good. I wish I could see some close up details of where the bars meet and the welds, but none the less it looks like it fits good. Any online literature that deals strictly with cages?

drew

Comment

Nice work!!!!Im still learning and I cringe at welding in a car upside down on a cage.My hats off to you .I hope someday I can do the same.
                http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee300/profgh6682/

Comment

What's up with the bends in the rear down bars? Is that an NHRA thing? SCCA, FIA, NASA, etc doesn't allow such a thing. Otherwise the work is really nice.
                  Brett

Comment

Looks nice! I will be putting a 4130 cage in my car this winter. I am happy to hear that I don't need to preheat and delay cool down, like I thought I would have to.
                    Syncrowave 250DX w/Bernard cooler
                    Handler 140

Comment

Originally posted by JET View Post
                      Looks nice! I will be putting a 4130 cage in my car this winter. I am happy to hear that I don't need to preheat and delay cool down, like I thought I would have to.
                      How did you arrive at that conclusion?? Preheat...no... but delaying cooling is what everyone is trying to make happen (by welding colder, thus slower and letting the heat build up) otherwise you gotta break out the O/A torch. Unless that's what you meant.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                      Miller WC-115-A
                      Miller Spectrum 300
                      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Looks good, I know the feeling of small cars, Ive done one in a fiero of all things and an RX-7. This past week I was doing a funny car cage(25.5 update) in a mustang and was thinking man I cant wait for the holidays to be over cause I can barely breathe all balled up in this car..........
                        Spence

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                          How did you arrive at that conclusion?? Preheat...no... but delaying cooling is what everyone is trying to make happen (by welding colder, thus slower and letting the heat build up) otherwise you gotta break out the O/A torch. Unless that's what you meant.
                          I was wondering the same thing.

-Aaron
                          "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
                          Miller Dynasty 200DX
                          Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
                          Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
                          Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Comment

Like i said its what the customer wanted so he could maintain his interior panels etc.. . Not sure where the other guy got the info about preheat and post heat though as never mentioned anything about that ?
                            dynasty 200 dx
                            lincoln sp 135 plus
                            302 trailblazer
                            s22p12
                            powcon starcut
                            cp 400 metal spray

Comment

Working...
                            X