Chassis plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chassis plan

I know I have been talking about a dragster chassis, but has anyone here built a back half car? I am thinking about an Art Morrison rear clip, but have heard bad things about them. Does anyone have any experience with this?
    Y'All Hold My Beer And Watch This!!!

I back halfed my 70 Dodge Dart about 20 years ago.I want to re do it now , with the increase in knowledge and equipment that I have. My friend bought Morisson frame rails for his 69 Dart, but sent them back because they were bent and twisted. I did my friends 69 GTO with a S+W ladder bar frame kit, and it came out very nice. What kind of car are you working on? You might have to make the frame rails yourself. I am working on my 94 Daytona now.

Comment

Frame rails

Havn't got the car yet. Wife says I have to sell the big block C10 I'm building first. Just getting idaes right now.

Comment

build the rails yourself cut and weld send me the dimenensions from rocker to bottom and ride height all the parts you want to use and i will fax you a drawing i will charge around 150.00 for this as takes about two hours to design on autocad up to you but ive been building race cars for 22 years . www.progasengineering.com
        Miller aerowave full feature
        Lincoln power mig 300 with prince gun
        dynasty 200 dx
        lincoln sp 135 plus
        302 trailblazer
        s22p12
        powcon starcut
        cp 400 metal spray

Comment

My chassis is an Art Morrison. Everything fit great, and the customer support was first class. The only thing I didn't care for was the anti roll bar. It was a through bolt set-up and had a fair amount of play in it. I replaced it with a Mark Williams deal that had splines instead. No roll at all now.

Comment

Sweet Chassis!!!

Dude, thats a sweet setup you've got. Am I correct in assuming its the Morrison Super car chassis? I'm also assuming by the tread on the tires that you will see some street use out of this car...?

Let me get the truck finished and sold and I will start looking for a car to play with.
            Scott

Comment

Thanks. Yes it is. It started out as an 8.50 chassis, but I added a few bars & the F/C cage and it's now cert. for 7:50. It will see limited street use. Drive to local cruise nights. Those tires are for mock-up mostly. It gets sticky tires eventually.

Comment

Instructions

Does the Super Car kit come with decent instructions, or is it pretty much a "here's your tubing, good luck" thing. I'd love to have one of those, but would hate to get in over my head. By the way, what type of differential did you use? Doesn't look like anything in the Art Morrison catalog...

Send more pics please!!!

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by sarge75801
                  Does the Super Car kit come with decent instructions, or is it pretty much a "here's your tubing, good luck" thing. I'd love to have one of those, but would hate to get in over my head. By the way, what type of differential did you use? Doesn't look like anything in the Art Morrison catalog...

Send more pics please!!!

Scott
                  Actually no, there aren't allot of hard copy instructions. They sent me a step by step magazine article for their '55 Chevy build. I'm building a 70 Camaro so, I had to ''fill in the blanks'' so to speak. They are good about answering any questions and since this is my first race chassis I had a bunch. They gave advise & answered all the questions I had.
                  I ordered and followed the SFI specs for a 25.4 very closely. That along with the advice from our local NHRA tech and a friend (also an NHRA tech) of mine from AZ.

The rear is an Aerospace Components housing with 40 spline Mark Williams axles and a Danny Miller "bad Boy" center section. And, a bunch of home made aluminum & steel brackets.

So. some of it is Art Morrison, some is what SFI mandated, some is my own concoction.

Comment

Overall kit

Well at least you are happy with the finished product. So basically you got the 2x3 square frame and 4-link kit and added the funny car kit later along with other required bracing to meet the 7.50 requirements. Are the ladder bar mounts 16" on center? I noticed that the Mark Williams catalog shows their modular 9" housings to have 16" from mount to mount. I guess this is a standard that all follow...?

Let me ask you this. Is the Morrison supercar set up so that I could start out with say the 4-link back half and then graduate to the frame rails, front clip, etc until I wound up with a supercar or cn it only be done with the complete supercar kit? My reason for asking is that the Chris Alston catalog says theirs can be done in stages and comes with blueprints and instructions. Might be easier for a rookie. Also, have you got any pics of the completed car?

I think I saw what appears to be a blown big block sitting in the front of the car. You should post some video of its first run.

Scott

Comment

By ladder bar mounts I assume you mean 4 link mounts. They are about 16" on center. I'm not sure if they are all that spacing but I would guess they are about the same.
                      Actually I went through the whole "back half plan" to "why not add a strut front end" to ''got to have frame connectors" to " if I do that why not just build a complete chassis" etc, etc, etc. I ended up with a complete 7.50 chassis.
                      so, yes they can be built in stages. I just ended up deciding to build all at once.
                      In the long run, It's easier.

No pics of the completed car. Being a self-employed ''1.man shop'' type operation, I don't get allot of play time. So, the car is just collecting dust right now.
                      This is the stage it's in now. I'm working on door hinges and latches now (A project I started last spring). Winter time is my slow time, so I hope to make some real progress soon.

I sold the blower & injection last winter and am going with a "Keep it mostly all under the hood" f-2 pro charger instead. They are making big power on pump gas.

Here's a shot of the door hinges in various stages of completion. I'm making lift of hinges for the glass doors.

That's about all there is. Hopefully I'll make some more progress this winter.

Comment

Pro70z28......what are your plans for motor? With any decent size BBC you can make a ton of HP with just a carb and NO intercooler. I have a 498 BBC in a 68 Firebird with an F2 and CSU carb (no intercooler) and I've gone 8.27 @ 168 at almost 3300#'s and on 10.5w tires. Nice work on the chassis too! Looks awesome. That rear end is a serious piece!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by PontiacRacer View Post
                          Pro70z28......what are your plans for motor? With any decent size BBC you can make a ton of HP with just a carb and NO intercooler. I have a 498 BBC in a 68 Firebird with an F2 and CSU carb (no intercooler) and I've gone 8.27 @ 168 at almost 3300#'s and on 10.5w tires. Nice work on the chassis too! Looks awesome. That rear end is a serious piece!

Craig
                          My plans are a 540. I hope to push the camaro down close to what the chassis is certified for. 7:50. I've been talking with & buying parts from, Steve Morris (he'll be building the motor). I'm comfortable freshening up the motor, but for the first time around I'm having Steve do the build. He seems to have the procharger combination pretty well figured out. I'm going blow through carb & intercooler (just for added denotation insurance & I just like the look of a plumbed, procharger set-up).
                          Thanks, it's fun to work on, I just don't get to as much as i would like.

PontiacRacer. Got any pics. of your set-up?

Comment

Originally posted by pro70z28 View Post
                            My plans are a 540. I hope to push the camaro down close to what the chassis is certified for. 7:50. I've been talking with & buying parts from, Steve Morris (he'll be building the motor). I'm comfortable freshening up the motor, but for the first time around I'm having Steve do the build. He seems to have the procharger combination pretty well figured out. I'm going blow through carb & intercooler (just for added denotation insurance & I just like the look of a plumbed, procharger set-up).
                            Thanks, it's fun to work on, I just don't get to as much as i would like.

PontiacRacer. Got any pics. of your set-up?
                            Can't go wrong with Morris power! He DOES have the blow thru deal figured out. You should -easily- be able to run 7.50's with what you got.

Click here for some pics of my junk:
                            http://rides.webshots.com/album/2649...SYJYi?start=12

Craig

Comment

That's a fine looking Firebird. Looks like you have it hooking up pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                              X