Tig Pen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FABMAN View Post
    has anyone used or are now using a tig pen filler feeder ?

rookie here having a hard time feeding the filler, especially with gloves on, and was thinking about getting one.

is it a thumb wheel type feeder system, or how does it work, feed the filler ?

i know you old pros are gonna suggest against it....... LOL......

but i am getting frustrated in having to either stop the arc to feed, or push the filler through my fingers while pushing it against my helmet or chest....
    thanks...
    It's the motion of the ocean man!! Seriously.....just practice....the better you get, the more techniques you try........you won't need that TIG pen.....

Comment

I am Like Andy

I Never use a glove for the filler hand,,Unless Im Burning lead,I had a big stainless Job,i hired a girl,part time,nights,and she was used to 24 guage,we were doing 14 ga for a submarine part,that had to be filled with molton lead,,and before digital,i have pics in one of 27 boxes,well she thought she was welding 1/4" plate,and she used only golf gloves!!!!!!Skin tight,but helped with the heat,well she was aircraft certified,Looked like Engloides but on 24 guage,they were 1/2 couplings tiged on to a 2" dia 24 ga. one shot,no stopping,and looked like Engloids would have been the same,But people like those 2 dont fall in your employment everyday,Once in a life time!IF YOUR LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Well at least i had One!

Lead is a different animal, and took me a long time to learn it, and a couple old timers that took me under there wings,there no such thing as Lead burning school.or even a place to buy a lead burning outfit!!!!!!!,,and been tested for lead every 6 months,(Cleaner than the board of health!!) Durring WW2 Storts had 37 fulll time lead burners in tanks 12 - 16 hrs a day,,Your war time used to count if you worked for Storts!Sorry for the rant,Jack
      Attached Files

Comment

Wow

Originally posted by turbo38t View Post
        It's the motion of the ocean man!! Seriously.....just practice....the better you get, the more techniques you try........you won't need that TIG pen.....
        Thats a new one after 35+ years,But will get some miles out of it,Ifs its OK with You??????"the motion of the ocean!!!!!!!!!!!" Thanks,Jack

Comment

Just as training wheels don't actually help anybody learn to ride a bicycle, the tig pen won't help either. It will just mean that it takes longer to learn the proper technique...because they learned to depend on a crutch.

Comment

To Engloid

Originally posted by Engloid View Post
            Just as training wheels don't actually help anybody learn to ride a bicycle, the tig pen won't help either. It will just mean that it takes longer to learn the proper technique...because they learned to depend on a crutch.
            Ive never used one,But just seems like its one more thing that you have to fiddle with,if you can turn a holder,why not be able to push a welding filler rod in,and drop a puddle,,I know alot of people that are in your class !!!!!!!!!,from the aero space place,And if they were short people,and some prefered to cut in half,well it was better than not having any one,!!At all!!!!!!!Thanks,Jack--------------------PS,Have you talked with Carl???????????????Thanks!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by storts View Post
              Ive never used one,But just seems like its one more thing that you have to fiddle with,if you can turn a holder,why not be able to push a welding filler rod in,and drop a puddle,,I know alot of people that are in your class !!!!!!!!!,from the aero space place,And if they were short people,and some prefered to cut in half,well it was better than not having any one,!!At all!!!!!!!Thanks,Jack--------------------PS,Have you talked with Carl???????????????Thanks!!!!!!
              Carl who? Maybe I should know, but I'm norrible with names.

Comment

PileBuck

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                Miller WC-115-A
                Miller Spectrum 300
                Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                  PileBuck
                  Seems that I have heard the name somewhere.

Comment

I know this thread is nearly as old as the hills, but...
                    I was having some little accuracy problems with .035 (straightened mig wire) and .045 on thin gauge stuff. Did a bunch of searching for solutions, I came upon this thread and found Storts little tip.... so recently purchased some tight-fitting white Cabretta leather golf gloves (FootJoy brand -- Contour FLX) for welding with light-duty wire.
                    Holy Filler-Feeding Batman! What a great tip from Storts! Now I can pin-point my filler tip with much more accuracy, speed and consistency due to the very thin but grippy nature of the leather. Time will tell how long they last, and how grippy they remain, but so far so good. They're so much better than the typical tig glove for welding thin-gauge and out-of-position welds. Certainly not the most inexpensive gloves, but not terrible at all at $28 total for the pair at the local golf shop, purchasing both left and right hands (each glove is sold separately) They are very snug-fitting and so thin that my gloved hand easily slips into my normal tig gloves for the torch hand. I can then switch hands reasonably easily without getting my torch hand too hot with a #9 torch. I don't bother with the tig glove on the torch hand when using the #20 water-cooled torch.

Comment

There is also the CK Dabber to help in feeding. There were giving it out for free, might want to check their website. It does not have inserts for wire thinner than 1/16", but I'm sure something can be fabbed up for such an occasion.
                      HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                      HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                      HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                      HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                      HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
                      HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Working...
                      X