Proposed Changes to Message Board Structure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposed Changes to Message Board Structure

Based on comments received, we plan to combine the Welding Projects and Motorsports (Ask Andy) boards into a single message board (only one login required) and add a limited number of categories.

It seems a few more categories might make the information easier-to-find and more organized. Last month, a small group of active members reviewed and commented on the proposed plan. The response was mostly favorable, although a few expressed concern. Here are the category suggestions:

 Welding Projects & Repairs
    Description: Whether you want to build it or need to fix it, share advice, ideas, plans and photos. (includes current Projects archives)

 GearHeads
    Description: Motorsports topics ranging from stock cars to street rods and motorcycles to trucks.
    (includes current Motorsports archives)

 Welding Discussions
    Description: How-to, techniques, troubleshooting & welding processes.

 Welding Eqpt. & Metalworking Tools
    Description: For purchase advice, service or set-up of welding and cutting equipment and other shop tools.

 Welding for a Living
    Description: Information about starting or expanding a business, welding careers, certifications and “life in the shop” talk.

 Discussion Forum Questions & Help
    Description: Questions and suggestions about message board functionality.

We appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on the proposed category list, titles and descriptions.

Thank you very much!
    The Miller Message Board Team

I will be looking forward to the new format. can we please stop all the bickering?

Comment

Sounds like a good plan not to many categories. I think the Hobart board has a few to many.
      Matt
      MM175, Lincoln Ideal arc 250, Miller Legend

Comment

I would lik eto see a "New Posts" buttom that will show ALL new posts from most recent to oldest.

I find with the multi catagory design i'm more likely to just scan 1 or 2 and then get distracted. In this case i tend to miss new stuff that was in a catagory I didn't scan.
        Dynasty 200 DX
        Millermatic 175
        Spectrum 375
        All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Software

There will definately be a "New Posts" button. We are staying with the same software, so the look/feel should be very similar to what you experience today, but with a few categories.

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
            Based on comments received, we plan to combine the Welding Projects and Motorsports (Ask Andy) boards into a single message board (only one login required) and add a limited number of categories.
            When you say (only one login required) does that mean they will still be separate boards or will it be all one board? I'm assuming it will all be one board.
            I'm the kind of guy that likes things how they are, but what the hay, I'm not afraid to try something new as long as it doesn't go all overboard, no pun intended.
            To all who contribute to this board.
            My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
            Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
            Miller Syncrowave 250
            Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

One board

It'll be all one board with multiple categories. Instead of having a separate message board each for Motorsports and Projects, they will become two categories (archives will be placed in their respective categories) within a single board, along with a few more new categories that seemed to make sense.

Comment

I am for a "new posts" or "todays posts" button that when clicked will bring up all new posts from all catagories. I wouldn't go from category to category to see the new posts.
                MM250
                Trailblazer 250g
                22a feeder
                Lincoln ac/dc 225
                Victor O/A
                MM200 black face
                Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                Arco roto-phase model M
                Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                Miller spectrum 875
                30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                Syncrowave 250
                RCCS-14

Comment

I don't know if the software you are using will support this, but if it can, have one additional category that contains all of the threads in one place. When you post a new thread or response, it shows up in both places. This would be the best of both worlds.

Lotus Notes had this feature in their email, and it sure made finding any one email a lot easier as you didn't have to remember which folder you filed it in.
                  Millermatic 35
                  Miller TB302G
                  Ellis 1800
                  Smith & Victor Torches
                  Optrel Satellite
                  Arcair K4000
                  Ingersoll-Rand 175CFM Diesel Air Compressor
                  Home Made Welding Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by garybdavis View Post
                    I don't know if the software you are using will support this, but if it can, have one additional category that contains all of the threads in one place. When you post a new thread or response, it shows up in both places. This would be the best of both worlds.

Lotus Notes had this feature in their email, and it sure made finding any one email a lot easier as you didn't have to remember which folder you filed it in.
                    Interesting idea. I have no idea if our software will support it or not, but worth checking into. There is also the "New posts" button which can serve the same function? Thoughts from anyone else on this?

Comment

i like the idea
                      mm210
                      maxstar 150

Comment

how soon are the changes going to be brought in to effect

are previous threads going to be lost?
                        are profiles going to be lost and remade?
                        your only as good as # 2 cuz no matter how good you are there is always someone better"
                        2006 DODGE Dualy Quad Cab
                        PIPELINE IS THICKER THAN BLOOD!!!
                        here is all the pictures of my rig www.cardomain.com/ride/2520047/1

Comment

What about people who post on both forums already, will our profiles be combine? Will we have to create a new profile?

I'm definately in support of having a way to view all the threads together in chronological order, like you can now, since it lets you look through everything and read what you find interesting. If they are categorized, there is a likely hood that you may not check every subsection and miss out on a good thread.

Good change is good.
                          Change for the sake of change is not.
                          Owner of Burnt Beard Fabrication & Welding Ltd.

BigBlue 500D
                          Dynasty 200DX
                          Millermatic 211
                          4' Box and Pan Break
                          IR compressor

Comment

Only thing I would ask it to be very careful not to go overboard with the categories like Hobart Weld Talk. That site is totally ruined for me. I basically never go there anymore.

I would suggest keeping the site to a minimum of categories. It's easier to scan. If I have to go into too many seperate categories (Like Hobart) then I will just stop participating (Like Hobart)

Other than that..... Let 'R' Buck.

Later,
                            Jason
                            Later,
                            Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Comment

Definitley agree with it all in one location. I wonder if we even need different categories? If the topic is clear that tells me if I want to read & reply. If you must go categories,Please keep it very limited. Also second the most recent to oldest post method. I like simple.
                              252 Miller Mig
                              180 Synchrowave
                              R - 45 Milling Machine
                              Kingston 1100 Lathe
                              Miller 2050 Plasma Cutter

Comment

Working...
                              X