No announcement yet.

Well, it's not blue...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We couldn't even take machining at vo-tech in my district - they didn't offer it.

I finally ended up in a machine shop when I was taking manufacturing classes in college. I don't have a lot of run time with the machines, but I know how to make them all work.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Different schools have different stuff around here. After all, the Twin Cities is the 12th largest market in the country. Something like 4.5 million people here. The way the vo-techs do it, is they all specialize in something and anyone who wants to learn that has to commute to the school that has it. In HS, we didn't have the option to go to other vo-tech schools, so we were stuck with auto mechanics and a drafting course or two.

Now that I am able to choose my school, should I want to go learn from an instructor - it's $420 a course for turning and milling (each) and only meets 2 days a week. I can buy 800# of drops for that and a good book.
      Syncrowave 250DX
      Invison 354MP
      XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
      Smith O/A rig

Comment

Lucky, sorta.

Although we are luck enough to have a good shop, and one of the coolest teachers around, recent budget cuts have started to take away from our shop. Our yearly budget, around $3500, to cover everything. Our school has started a new program where you can work towards getting you C-Ticket in high school, and then finish it off at UCFV (local, and best, trades school around). Guess how much money they have given our shop to handle the increased cost. Zip. Our teacher is forced to go to the local fab shops and ask for scrap metal donations in order for us to have anything to weld on. It is pathetic. To make matters worse, our sister school on the "other side of the tracks" has an annual budget of over $11,000 and less students. At least we have a better teacher though. (Glass half full veiwpoint)
        Owner of Burnt Beard Fabrication & Welding Ltd.

BigBlue 500D
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 211
        4' Box and Pan Break
        IR compressor

Comment

Sorry about the rant, just been wanting to get that off my chest for a while.

BigBlue 500D
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 211
          4' Box and Pan Break
          IR compressor

Comment

Originally posted by shorerider16 View Post
            Sorry about the rant, just been wanting to get that off my chest for a while.
            You're luck to have a teacher with enough dedication to run around looking for scrap metal for you're class. I'm sure he or she isn't getting paid to do that. A lot of people would just work with what they have and leave it at that.
            I hope you guys remember to thank you're teacher now and then.
            To all who contribute to this board.
            My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
            Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
            Miller Syncrowave 250
            Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

He should hook you guys out as shop helpers...

Um, I mean he should get some internships going.

Then when you come back to class after helping there, you can bring the scrap pieces with you. You get the experience, they get the gopher, and the class gets the materials. Assuming your class is of driving age.
              Syncrowave 250DX
              Invison 354MP
              XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
              Smith O/A rig

Comment

Update on the lathe situation:

I got my phase converter temporarily wired up last night and learned all too quickly that the 5hp motor ain't gonna cut it (literally, har har har).

It'll spin up the lathe just fine, but when I start getting into a decent depth cut, the idler vibrates from the load and then the lathe kicks out. Probably something to do with not enough current on the third leg to keep the mag starter engaged.

I'm running 89uf run caps, so that should be plenty. I might try adding another to either side and see how that works. Voltages are good with the generated leg being down 10 from the lines.
                Syncrowave 250DX
                Invison 354MP
                XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                Smith O/A rig

Comment

Originally posted by Fishy Jim View Post
                  Update on the lathe situation:

I got my phase converter temporarily wired up last night and learned all too quickly that the 5hp motor ain't gonna cut it (literally, har har har).

It'll spin up the lathe just fine, but when I start getting into a decent depth cut, the idler vibrates from the load and then the lathe kicks out. Probably something to do with not enough current on the third leg to keep the mag starter engaged.
                  Does the lathe still have the 7 1/2 HP motor? I always thought you needed a faze converter of equal or greater HP than the motor being driven.
                  To all who contribute to this board.
                  My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
                  Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
                  Miller Syncrowave 250
                  Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Originally posted by Coalsmoke View Post
                    not anymore, not for their welding dept at least, they are a top contender, but if i wanted to go from the ground up in a welding program i'd go enroll at the kwantlen campus in cloverdale.
                    I know Kwantlen is supposed to have an amazing new campus, but I will wait until I see the new UCFV campus once it is finished before I pass judgement. Plus the course is free, except for the books, and it is right in town hear, mabye a 15-20 minute drive. You know what they say, "time is money."

BigBlue 500D
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 211
                    4' Box and Pan Break
                    IR compressor

Comment

I discovered in doing some fooling, that it'll work fine under about 800rpm. It can't spin up to 1500 with the 5hp idler. So I need to get another idler.
                      Syncrowave 250DX
                      Invison 354MP
                      XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                      Smith O/A rig

Comment

Working...
                      X