used 7.3 Ford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by admweld View Post
    Hmw, under the turbo in the picture is the HP fuel pump?My 7.3 is up front, the 6.0 is in the rear of the valley?

Your right, Yours may have an injector pump up front if its older than about 1994. And the fuel pump or lift pump is a lever type pump mounted on the side of the block. About 94-95 or so, they switched to electronic injectors, that are oil operated and the mechanical fuel pump was then moved to the back of the valley. Sometime around 96 ?? they moved the fuel pump to the frame rail and its electric. Lot of guys get the fuel pump and oil pump mixed up. The 6.0 "oil" pump is in the rear and the fuel pump is on the frame. They no longer have injector pumps like the old diesels. The high pressure oil pump supplies high pressure oil to operate the injector and the injector is electrically controlled by the PCM[computer]. The high pressure oil acting on the injector is actually what causes fuel to be sprayed into the cyl. The fuel is in a galley surrounding the injector body.
    If yours has an injector pump up front then the injector pump forces fuel under high pressure to an individual nozzle that sprays fuel into the combustion chamber.
    Sorry for the long explanation
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

coalsmoke

Is that on the 6.4 your talking about? and which pump, fuel or oil? I gotta go find one to look at
      Scott

Comment

Found a little info on the 6.4. Looks like it has a high pressure piston type "fuel" pump. Not an injector pump but rather one that keeps the fuel in a rail common to all injectors at very high pressures. It also appears to not have a high pressure oil pump as one is not needed to operate the injectors because the fuel is keep at a high pressure. The injectors are electronically controlled [same as the hydraulic ones]and to make it simple just allow the pressurized fuel in the rail into the combustion chamber. If anyone knows any more about the 6.4. I appreciate the info.
        Coalsmoke, I sure hope its not under the cab. Half the engine is already under the cab now, even on the 5500s with duramaxs.
        Scott

Comment

Coalsmoke, we posted at the same time. LOL It figures they would put it there. Lets hope its better, at least maybe no oil leaks like we have now.
          Scott

Comment

It seems to me that all the new models are unproven, overpriced, unreliable junk.
            All we can do is keep going with the old ones and hope that one of the manufacturers comes back down to earth and produces something that a person can actually put to work.
            Jeff

Comment

Hmw My 7.3 is a 99 p/u i have had to replace the gasket in between the pump and the housing.It was all up front under the fuel filter assy.I was leaking diesel fuel.
              BB402D
              TB300D
              DIMENSION652
              MM250X
              MAXSTAR140
              S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
              HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Admweld, those were the good old ones. They had a mechanical fuel system which is what every body liked about the cummins.

Jhall, You can forget anybody going back. The only reason they have went away from the old reliable mechanical fuel system is pollution. The new electronically controlled fuel delivery systems are far more accurate and can be adjusted while running by the PCM to meet different demands therfore better emissions. You can bet the old systems were cheaper. The same reason auto makers finally went to fuel injection on gas engines, pollution. It had its bugs at first too, but now look. Every gas engine is fuel injected, the new Harleys are and boat engines to. Hopefully they'll get it right before long

In the mean time take good care of the old ones
                Scott

Comment

Oh, I know there is no going back, and I am aware of the reasons to manufacture a more efficient fuel system... It fries me that my F550 makes worse mileage than most dump trucks that I know of.
                  I was saying that they need to make these things reliable, so that you can be assured of getting back home at night.
                  It is as if they want to throw out something new to satisfy some yuppie that has to beat his brother in law, without doing some real testing and fine tuning.
                  I don't want to give $40,000.00 to be someone's guinea pig. Ex: Ford couldn't make the 6.0 powerstroke run, so why would I want to buy an engine that is frsh off the drawing board, more complicated than the 6.0,and has twice as many turbos to fail?
                  Let them put some effort into making them reliable, rather than wasting their time and my money on stupid things like fold down tailgate steps?
                  Jeff

Comment

I read where Ford gave one of the 2008 models to a guy that delivers trailers, and he put a bunch of miles on it and was thrilled. Of course,he got to drive a new fully loaded King ranch, so that might have had a little to do with it.

I think they should have given one to a Large tire service guy, and one to a Cat field mechanic and let them go for a year and see what happens..
                    Jeff

Comment

JHall, Your right , just make the thing run!!!! And its interesting they get worse fuel mileage but better emmisons??? go figure! Oh, and don't forget to keep a crank sensor in the glove box for the 7.3 and a cam sensor for the 6.0 They will leave you on the road for sure, also an ICP sensor for those days when they just dont want to run right.....LOL Good luck with yours

Coalsmoke, the Dura-maxs we have [6600s both models] have been very good actually. What problems have you seen with them? Out of about 20 in our fleet only one has had 3 injectors and that was for smoking at idle. Almost all of them have had instrument clusters though, some twice. No trans problems yet.
                      Scott

Comment

Ive worked for 2 fleets [both mostly GM] and 1 GM dealer, been at current fleet job for 19 years, so Ive been around GM mostly. We've had no issues like those. All ours in the GM 5500 chassis. I checked the vins of some of them and We've got both the LB7s and the LLYs. Our oldest ones are only 04's so that may explain it. But several have over 100K already. Your right about the old isuzu industrial engine or for that matter any of the diesel industrial engines, But they won't meet emissions. If not already, Soon even industrial engines will have to meet them too. Then that'll screw them up Shoot in California, even lawn mower engines have to meet emissions.

thanks for info
                        Scott

Comment

I have an 01 and so far it's been a pretty good truck,about 110k miles. Replaced the CPS once and ball joints and wheel hub (4X4) on one side. Here's another good message board. http://www.thedieselstop.com/
                          MM251
                          Hypertherm45XP

Comment

I do get see alot of one type of problems. All we have are GM and Fords, now a few new hybrid Toyotas. Our fleet is about 2000 vehicles and in my area we have about 450 to maintain ,trucks, equipment etc. Funny the C-7Cat and the 3126Bs which is in our C8500s have a similar HUEY type fuel delivery system,but like you said much heavier, inline 6 cyl. Pretty reliable, a few programming and injector issues but otherwise pretty good.
                            Scott

Comment

Working...
                            X