No announcement yet.

used 7.3 Ford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

His 08 is more than likely a 6.4 dual turbo.
    They have been doing okay in the problem area ,not like the 6.0's

Give the 6.4 a little more time .
    The later 6.0's have been doing pretty good and the earlier ones put Ford in a bad way.

Rich
    sigpic
    Love the power of Blue
    Millermatic 200
    Sync 200
    Lots of Tools!

Comment

Good engine. Where I work we have a whole fleet of F-550s and C-5500s. I can give you my opinion on the engine deal beacause we have Chevy and Ford. We have no Cummins so can't comment on that. The 7.3s have been great, no major engine problems, most common issue is crank sensor, but a piece of cake to change. The 6.0 has been miserable. Head gaskets, turbos, Icp sensors and so on. The Ford truck itself is great, tough. They just need to do something with the engine. We have no new 6.4s yet so can't wait to see that. Hope its better. The C5500s [dura-max 6.6] so far have been great. Out of about 25 of these we've only put 3 injectors in one for smoking at idle. Several have 100K miles on them now and so far so good. Biggest issues we've had with the 5500s is instrument clusters, hard on brakes and a few trans coolers leaking.
      I've been a technicain for 25+ yrs and my opinion is all 3 Ford, Chevy, Dodge make good trucks. Just little things bettter one way or another. Chevy diesels were terriable for yrs [5.7, 6.2, 6.5] all were crap. But looks like Izuzu fixed it for them
      I think you'll be happy with your 7.3
      Good luck. If you ever need any info on the 7.3 I've got tons of resources
      Scott
      HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

Boy this is a melancholy thread... I've had some problems with my '03 6.0L , four pcm flashes, three sensors, two sets of injectors, and one turbo in a pear tree

Comment

Megacab??

So, how's ur new megacab truck coming along?? Got any new pics of it yet??Looking forward to seeing it soon!!

Comment

Pyro....How do you like the injectors cycling after you shut it off? I'm sure that must have been one of the re-programs.....Injectors high as h$%&. You can buy a new Gas long block for a set of 6.0 injectors. Around $300.00 each. One thing to keep in mind, oil has to be clean. Do not run extended drain intervals. These injectors, as are most today, are high pressure oil operated and clean oil is a needed. Good luck
            Scott

Comment

HMW, luckily the injectors were covered under warranty ~fhew~ and yes they did program that for a bit then they changed there minds... again, it doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy when they keep changing stuff like that.

Comment

If you look on the front of the truck Ford circled the problem.

Comment

Well, in the last 2 days we have put in [2] hi pressure oil pumps, both for leaks, replaced water pump in one, impeller cracked on shaft and would slip, and towed another one in last night, quit on the road. To be fair these trucks have 151K, 201K and 135K miles respectively I hope the 6.4 is better. We are supposed to get a couple soon, we'll see. They do run good, very strong just pricey to keep up
                  Scott

Comment

LOL....it would be a good time for us to switch from 6.0s to something else I'm not familar with the cummins, but what issues have they had. I am sure they have had some work, I've never seen one that hasn't had some issue. Oh..thats right, all I ever see needs fixing...lol
                    Scott

Comment

HMW,
                      Dodge 93-97 had mechanical injection system, no problems. I had a 93 with 500,000+ miles on it. It still ran great. 98.5 up have computer controled injection. My 2,000 has 241,000 miles on it. It is on its 3rd injection pump. The original lift pump will go out and it turns the injection pump to junk. The injection pump requires 7psi at all times. I replaced the lift pump 5 times before going to the FASS system.

Comment

Thanks Finney, it seems they all have issues. The old 7.3s were tough too. We even have injector problems with the new C-7 CAT engines. It seems the computer controlled age did wonders for gas engines but the diesels have been plagued with it. oh well, they'll figure it sooner or later, then it will just be something else
                        Scott

Comment

Your right coal smoke.....all those type fuel systems were tough.
                          Anybody using the new 6.4 or heard anything about them. We're supposed to get a couple but haven't seen any yet.
                          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by HMW View Post
                            Your right coal smoke.....all those type fuel systems were tough.
                            Anybody using the new 6.4 or heard anything about them. We're supposed to get a couple but haven't seen any yet.
                            Apparently, the very first one in all of North America to blow up happened in High Prairie, Alberta. A few of my buds run them and say that they pull like h#ll but that the fuel economy is absolutly horrible. It sounds like they also have that world famous Ford turbo lag. Nice trucks but they're no Dodge.
                            owner of EVOLUTION WELDING

Comment

The fuel pump on the 6.0 is easy, on the frame rail. Its the high pressure oil pump that is in the valley, under everything. Haven't found much info yet on the 6.4 but specs say its a High psi fuel system I take that to mean hi psi fuel as well as hi psi oil. I wonder where that pump is gonna be Gotta be engine driven I'm sure. The 6.0 is not really hi psi fuel, only about 60psi but hi psi oil operates the injector.
                              I have heard that the dual turbo is supposed to help with the turbo lag?? apparently not much

Couple of pics showing the hi pressure oil pump on a 6.0, first pic is of pump in valley to the left, second pic is of the engine. Had to compress pics so didn't come out to good. And wonder why you pay alot to have your truck fixed, tough job. But it pays the bills
                              Attached Files
                              Scott

Comment

Not an easy job.

Hmw, under the turbo in the picture is the HP fuel pump?My 7.3 is up front, the 6.0 is in the rear of the valley?
                                BB402D
                                TB300D
                                DIMENSION652
                                MM250X
                                MAXSTAR140
                                S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
                                HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Working...
                                X