used 7.3 Ford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• used 7.3 Ford

brother-in-law just bought a used 2000 Ford with a 7.3 diesel, I told him he would be better off to get a new diesel with warranty behind it. what are your guys thoughts on this truck? was he a dumb a$$? Was 2000 a good year to buy?? I am not sure what he paid for it
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
    and easily upset
    go flames go

What coalsmoke said. I'm a Cummins guy too.
    Make sure your brother checks the coolant. Powerstrokes need SCA (supplement coolant additive) because of cavitation.

Also, he'll want to carry a spare CPS (crank position sensor). These will fail and make leave him stranded.

I believe 2000 is a good year. If I remember correctly, it should have forged connecting rods instead of powdered metal.

He can get parts/filters are www.genosgarage.com
    Millermatic Passport Plus
    Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
    XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12VS
    Dynasty 300 DX
    Thermal Arc 400 MST
    Victor O/A
    Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Comment

Yes the cps is a common failure,can be a pita to get correctly adjusted when installing the new sensor in because of shims that space it away from the crank.Also if the this truck has a ton of miles on it, the crank can also move back and forth further causing problems.

Is it a 4wd? if so,front ball joints are a common failure.

But that diesel engine is one of the best navistar built for Ford.
      Rich
      sigpic
      Love the power of Blue
      Millermatic 200
      Sync 200
      Lots of Tools!

Comment

Originally posted by Coalsmoke View Post
        Dan, I'm a Cummins guy, but you tell him that his new 7.3 is way better an engine than anything new that you will find on the Ford lot that has both a warranty and ford badge on it. If I were to buy a ford tomorrow, it would be a 2000-2002 with the 7.3L.
        Thanks alot coalsmoke,I know my 04-550 6.0 has had trouble but don,t rub it in.
        BB402D
        TB300D
        DIMENSION652
        MM250X
        MAXSTAR140
        S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
        HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Ahhh I am very sorry guys, the truck is a 2002 7.3 diesel not a 2000. so if anyone has more info I would be thankful.
          DODGE 1 TON 6.7
          PIPEPRO 304
          TO MANY TOOLS
          JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
          rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
          and easily upset
          go flames go

Comment

I also run a Cummins but only because I got tired of Ford's that run like sh#t and eat turbos. The 7.3's were(are) awsome powerplants and I think that if Ford could have evolved them I would still be a Ford owner. After 230000 km's on my Dodge without a cent into it, Ford would have to come up with something magic to get me back.
            owner of EVOLUTION WELDING

Comment

at dealer today

Coal, The dealer had my truck today they repaired a oil leak said it was the lower oil cooler line.Under warrenty though so i cant *****.
              BB402D
              TB300D
              DIMENSION652
              MM250X
              MAXSTAR140
              HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Originally posted by pipeline Dan View Post
                Ahhh I am very sorry guys, the truck is a 2002 7.3 diesel not a 2000. so if anyone has more info I would be thankful.
                Dan, you may want to check out this forum, they have quite a bit of info on the Ford diesels:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-diesel.html

Hope it helps

Comment

I didin't think the 7.3 came in a 2002 i thought that 2001 was the last year either way the 7.3 was a great motor i don't know why the took it out of production on the trucks my dad has a 2001 ford extend cab with a deck on it and i don't think he'll trade it in on any new ford or dodge or gm product.
                  your only as good as # 2 cuz no matter how good you are there is always someone better"
                  2006 DODGE Dualy Quad Cab
                  PIPELINE IS THICKER THAN BLOOD!!!
                  here is all the pictures of my rig www.cardomain.com/ride/2520047/1

Comment

I have an '02 7.3 and it is a great engine in a great truck. The rest of the drivetrain (and truck) should be very stout with proper maintenance. I am still a Ford guy even though I have an '06 Dodge Cummins too. I just couldn't bear to get a new Ford engine. I believe 2003 was the crossover year for the 7.3 and 6.0 engines. I would be very reluctant to buy any brand of truck with the new emissions diesels.
                    Cheers,
                    Chris

PipePro350 SS,Pro300 SS,X-tremeVS,Dynasty200DX,MM251, SA-200 Redface,SA-200 Shorthood,SAE-300

Comment

2003 was the change over from 7.3 to 6.0.
                      Both engines can be found in the 03's.
                      Miller MM210
                      Powcon 300ST
                      Lincoln Weldanpower 225
                      Century Mig 125GS
                      Century 225 AC/DC Stick
                      Hobart Rod Runner, Handler 210
                      Smith O/A

Comment

i have 99 with 7.3. good truck and it screams when i wind the turbo. 18 mpg i cant gripe

Comment

beamwalker;104997]i have 99 with 7.3. good truck and it screams when i wind the turbo. 18 mpg i cant gripe[/QUOTE]

I also have a 99 7.3 F-350 p/u w/135k on it and it runs strong. i have no gripes with this truck at all.
                          BB402D
                          TB300D
                          DIMENSION652
                          MM250X
                          MAXSTAR140
                          HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

i dont understand the dislike for the new ford powerstrokes,my brother has a new 08 550 with auto,and i made a steel run with it and his 32 ft gooseneck and on the way home loaded(pretty good load)it would run like a scalded dog,plenty of power,lots of low end pull.i sure like it,and i would take it over a dodge(i like the cummins-just not the truck) any day.once again everybody has a opinion.im gonna buy a new 08 350 or 450 soon,i even looked at dodges but i thought the ford was more truck.

Comment

lots of troubles

Weldingrod, It is no secret theses 6.0,s have been plagued with troubles turbos,injectors,oil leaks,reflashes.Mine has had 3 turbos,ball joints,oil cooler tube leak,all in 14k for a 40,000 dollar chassis that is non-sense.
                              BB402D
                              TB300D
                              DIMENSION652
                              MM250X
                              MAXSTAR140
                              HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Working...
                              X