• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90blackcrx
    replied
    Originally posted by Coalsmoke View Post
    89Db, you better like wearing earplugs,
    Can you find any specs on IR though, I couldn't .

Leave a comment:

• Anti-GMAW
    replied
    Originally posted by Rvannatta View Post
    We are pretty proud of the rig compressor solution that we fashioned almost by accident. We had a gas engine drive IR compressor with a dump valve unloader (implying it was designed to run all the time) and unload by dumping the excess air. We put a big diesel welder on the rig, and put an electric
    motor on the compressor which runs in the background off the welder.
    Like the gas engine it never shuts down (except manually) so you don't have to worry about it trying to start at the wrong time (and overloading the system). This lets the extra cost of the diesel engine welder drive the compressor in a trouble free manner for a pile of money less than buying an AIR PAK while saving the greif of having 2 engines running to get something done.
    If it wern't for the fact that I want to get a trailblazer that would be a pretty good Idea. What about screw compressors?

Leave a comment:

• Portable Welder
    replied
    Ravanta, I agree with you about having alot of auxillary power, I get on jobs where I need to take my iron worker with me which works fine of both My Pipe Pro that is on my truck and the Trailblazer that is on mr foremans truck.

Im curiouse however as to how good my Dynasty 300 DX will work off the 12,000 watts of power that my Pipe pro puts out.

It will give me 50 amps single phase 220V that wont let me max the machine out but should let me do maybe 3/16"

I havent tried it yet just guessing.

Leave a comment:

• Rvannatta
    replied
    Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
    Ravanta, if I understand you right you plug your compressor into the welders auxilary power, That is a good Idea and I'd use it except for when I'm air arcing off the trail blazer I need all the power I can get and there wouldnt be enouph auxillary power left in that event.
    You are absolutely correct, which is also precisely the reason I did not buy a trailblazer. The blue boys can't get it through their head that a LOT of AC power is useful on welding machines, which is why I reluctantly bought
    a Vantage 400 which offers 17KW or so of 3 phase AC power, and I run both the compressor and the plasma cutter on 3 phase. When air arcing,
    you of course cannot run the AIR ARC flat out wide open. Of course on the Vantage 400 that would be 500 amps. Instead you need to back off
    the amperage to 300-350 amps to leave space for the compressor load.
    Lincoln conveniently has a charge printed on the front panel of the welder
    that tells you what is left for the welder if you draw various AC loads.
    For example with 20 amps 3 phase draw, you have 300 amps for the welder.
    as I recall my 5 hp 3 phase motor on the compressor is stickered for a max draw of 17 amps under full load. ( make sure it never starts while i'm using theh welder). this makes me fairly smug in believing that I can crank
    the air arc up to something just above 300 amps, and expect everything to work.

Leave a comment:

• 90blackcrx
    replied
    I know some of you might not like this idea, but for the amount we will use it, I'm really liking this one

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+%26+Inflators

Leave a comment:

• Portable Welder
    replied
    Ravanta, if I understand you right you plug your compressor into the welders auxilary power, That is a good Idea and I'd use it except for when I'm air arcing off the trail blazer I need all the power I can get and there wouldnt be enouph auxillary power left in that event.

Leave a comment:

• Rvannatta
    replied
    Originally posted by ANTI-GMAW View Post
    All this talk about compresors has got me thinking "what about rig compressors". Any advice?
    We are pretty proud of the rig compressor solution that we fashioned almost by accident. We had a gas engine drive IR compressor with a dump valve unloader (implying it was designed to run all the time) and unload by dumping the excess air. We put a big diesel welder on the rig, and put an electric
    motor on the compressor which runs in the background off the welder.
    Like the gas engine it never shuts down (except manually) so you don't have to worry about it trying to start at the wrong time (and overloading the system). This lets the extra cost of the diesel engine welder drive the compressor in a trouble free manner for a pile of money less than buying an AIR PAK while saving the greif of having 2 engines running to get something done.

Leave a comment:

• Rvannatta
    replied
    Definately go dual stage, You can hook up an automotive exhaust to air intake that will quiet it down by approx. 30%
    Definately run the compressor on its own circuit and install a disconnect at ground level so you can shut it off at night incase you blow a line, you dont want it to run all night.

7-1/2 HP is about the max HP you can run off single phase, in my welding shop I have a 5 HP Dual stage that will run my air tools and light sandblasting, If you were a body shop where you would be running a couple orbital sanders continuously I would recommend the 7-1/2 HP

I just ordered a new ingersorand for my new welding rig today, I found northern tools had the best price.

I very much agree that the dual stage is a better deal but it depends in part what you are doing. We have both kinds around our shops, and the single stage ones are just the pits for running an impact wrench. they will barely produce the pressure you need and drop below it before kicking on.

The 2 stage ones seem much better at maintaining predictible pressure.
    IF your usage is running a chipping hammer it probably doesn't matter, but if you want to turn a 1" drive impact wrench dual stage is the only way to go.

Leave a comment:

• Portable Welder
    replied
    90Blackcrx, I'm not sure what you are asking about, If what your asking about is wheather it will come with start up capacitors those are connected to the motor.

Anti-GMAW, I've had a Ingersorand compressor sitting on top of my truck rolling down the highway since 1999, I bought the one with a honda motor on it.
    This compressor has started every time for me except 2-3 times over the years when it has been down around zero degrees F.

Other than that it has been a great compressor, what I do now is start it up in the shop before I leave if I know I'm going to need it or hook up a tube to the exhaust of the welder and run it over to the intake of the compressor.

Leave a comment:

• 90blackcrx
    replied
    Definately go dual stage, You can hook up an automotive exhaust to air intake that will quiet it down by approx. 30%
    Definately run the compressor on its own circuit and install a disconnect at ground level so you can shut it off at night incase you blow a line, you dont want it to run all night.

7-1/2 HP is about the max HP you can run off single phase, in my welding shop I have a 5 HP Dual stage that will run my air tools and light sandblasting, If you were a body shop where you would be running a couple orbital sanders continuously I would recommend the 7-1/2 HP

I just ordered a new ingersorand for my new welding rig today, I found northern tools had the best price.
    That sounds more what I want, 10hp is to much. It has to be single phase, cause I can only imagine what 3 phase would cost to set up. 5hp sounds ideal really.

Not my electrician asked me if I knew about my air compressor, or the one I was thinking about. He was telling me some require and electric start, some don't come with this and of course would cost more to setup cause he would have to buy it.

Do these units come with it ?

Leave a comment:

• Anti-GMAW
    replied
    All this talk about compresors has got me thinking "what about rig compressors". Any advice?

Leave a comment:

• Portable Welder
    replied

Leave a comment:

• alha
    replied
    If noise is going to be an issue, I would seriously take a close look at the Eaton models. I was at their facility last year when I picked up my parts, and they had an (I believe) 10 hp model running in their shop, 3 cylinder, running at a fairly low RPM, and I couldn't believe how quiet it was (quiet for an air compressor, that is). He was on the phone 10-15' away and could carry on a conversation. As I haven't finished my shop, I can't give you 1st hand experience on mine, but from what I saw at his place, I was mighty impressed. Check them out, I think you won't be disappointed. And yes, bigger is better

3 phase:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EATON...spagenameZWDVW

single phase:

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-HP-Single-Pha...spagenameZWDVW

Leave a comment:

• hankj
    replied
    Bob,

I'd go 7.5 hp minimum. Check out Tractor Supply. There's one in Yuba City, but there's gotta be one in Chico someplace?

As for running the compressor on the same branch circuit as a welder, I'd say no. The welder circuit can be derated for duty cycle, but the compressor needs to be on a 125% circuit. Even though it does cycle, at high air usage it can run all of the time.

Hope to get a chance to visit your new digs!

Hank

Leave a comment:

• 90blackcrx
    replied
    Originally posted by hankj View Post
    Hi, Bob! Long time no hear. All's well, I hope?

Hank
    Hey Hank, yes everything is good. We are moving into a new shop, bigger space, more area so we need to upgrade some of our equipment. Anyone that knows me, knows what I was working with, so this is an upgrade.

Hank check your email

Basically right now though we are looking for a bigger compressor, I would say around 60 to 80 gallon. Now I'm hearing the big benafit over the two stage is noise. Noise is a big factor right now cause its going to be about 8ft away from us while we work... at times.

Now this week ( tomorrow hopefully ) our welders are being wired up, I'm going to ask him if he can run the compressor plug at the same time to save him a trip, and save us money.

Can I run a welder off the same fuse with the welder ? That might be a dumb question, but don't really know. I know 120v can be ran inline but thats not pushing nearly that many amps.

I know people don't like sears but we never really had any issues with them. Anyone try this one, or have it ? Input , feed back ? If not that one, we are looking at IR, anyone have any good priced out sites that sell IR ?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...air+compressor

For the same price almost
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Ingersoll-Rand-E...QQcmdZViewItem

KB- haha very funny

JoeBass, our grizzly band saw continues to hold up very well and it gets a work out daily. No complaints at all here, and the issues we had ( broken water pump ) grizzly sent out a new one, no questions asked. We are happy with it, so its in the eye of the be holder. Hey, it works well enough for what we do.

If anything I need a horizontal saw now.

Anyways back to the main question, I don't have time to mess around, I need some help with this compressor and I came here cause I know you guys know your stuff.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X