Air compressor advice ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air compressor advice ?

Looking for a new compressor, is it worth it to get a dual stage over a single ? Whats the big difference ? Any advice or suggestions on any other compressors, name brands and such.
    http://www.rcautoworks.com

i run IR compressors.

I run 2 -IR one in the shop, one on the truck and both have performed flawless. so far.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Originally posted by admweld View Post
      I run 2 -IR one in the shop, one on the truck and both have performed flawless. so far.
      what he said

Comment

Also might want to consider Eaton, they make good units, and run at lower RPM's, so are quieter, if that makes a diff. To answer your question, single stage is usually for lower CFM and PSI, 2 stage units higher, around 175 PSI, and can recover quicker.

Comment

Going to be for simple show tools, air ratchet, die grinder and suck.

Comment

If only Ellis made compressors.
            Dynasty 350DX
            Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
            MM 350P
            MM Passport Plus
            Spectrum 375 Extreme
            08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

I like the 175 psi dual stage units, they give all your tools a little extra power, especially good if you use an impact wrench.
              Dynasty 200 DX
              Millermatic 175
              Spectrum 375
              All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Bob,

Stick with a brand anme that has a decent warranty. I fnd the 5-hp CH I have had for years is at it's limit running an air tool like a 4.5" angle grinder or a die grinder. When I but my next one, it will probably be a 7.5 hp Eaton.

Hank
                ...from the Gadget Garage
                Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
                Handler 210 w/DP3035
                TA185TSW
                Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

5 to 7.5 hp two stage (Eaton is a good bang for the buck) 80 Gal tank with a refridge unit and you'll never look back!
                  Bob Sigmon
                  A/O Setup with Meco Midget
                  Miller Big Window Elite
                  Quincy QT-5HD

Comment

Hi, Bob! Long time no hear. All's well, I hope?

Hank
                    Handler 210 w/DP3035
                    TA185TSW

Comment

Hindsight is always 20-20.

I now wish I would have 'bit the bullet' and bought a 2 Stage unit.

Of course when I bought my compressor it was " just for a few simple tools ".

Here we are today, with all those 'simple tools' AND a new Plasma Cutter.

I need MORE AIR !!!

Oh and we also acquired a refrig unit to 'dry' the air.

Comment

Like HankJ says: stick with better known brand names if possible.
                        Air compressors are like shops: Get the largest you can afford...even if you have to save up for it for a little while. You won't regret having the larger machine in the long run.
                        I can't get 3-phase out here in the boonies, so I ended up with a 7.5hp IR dual stage. I've had it going on 4 years now, worked the daylights out of it and not had a peep of a problem out of it, but I also service it regularly. It is a beast of a compressor and have not regretted purchasing it.

MM210 w/3035 Spooler
                        Stars & Stripes BWE signed by Andy

TA185TSW w/Miller Radiator 1
                        Miller Spectrum 125C
                        Victor O/A
                        Parker Plasma 40

Comment

Does Grizzly make compressors?
                          Champion or Quincy......This is not something you want to cheap out on, but neither was the saw.

Comment

Originally posted by joebass View Post
                            Does Grizzly make compressors?
                            Champion or Quincy......This is not something you want to cheap out on, but neither was the saw.
                            I don't think Grizzly "makes" anything. 90% of their machine tools are imported from the far east. The really cheap stuff (but not necessarily crap) comes from China, but they import from other countries as well.

Hank
                            Handler 210 w/DP3035
                            TA185TSW

Comment

Originally posted by hankj View Post
                              Hi, Bob! Long time no hear. All's well, I hope?

Hank
                              Hey Hank, yes everything is good. We are moving into a new shop, bigger space, more area so we need to upgrade some of our equipment. Anyone that knows me, knows what I was working with, so this is an upgrade.

Hank check your email

Basically right now though we are looking for a bigger compressor, I would say around 60 to 80 gallon. Now I'm hearing the big benafit over the two stage is noise. Noise is a big factor right now cause its going to be about 8ft away from us while we work... at times.

Now this week ( tomorrow hopefully ) our welders are being wired up, I'm going to ask him if he can run the compressor plug at the same time to save him a trip, and save us money.

Can I run a welder off the same fuse with the welder ? That might be a dumb question, but don't really know. I know 120v can be ran inline but thats not pushing nearly that many amps.

I know people don't like sears but we never really had any issues with them. Anyone try this one, or have it ? Input , feed back ? If not that one, we are looking at IR, anyone have any good priced out sites that sell IR ?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...air+compressor

For the same price almost
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/Ingersoll-Rand-E...QQcmdZViewItem

KB- haha very funny

JoeBass, our grizzly band saw continues to hold up very well and it gets a work out daily. No complaints at all here, and the issues we had ( broken water pump ) grizzly sent out a new one, no questions asked. We are happy with it, so its in the eye of the be holder. Hey, it works well enough for what we do.

If anything I need a horizontal saw now.

Anyways back to the main question, I don't have time to mess around, I need some help with this compressor and I came here cause I know you guys know your stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X