Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O/T Has the USDollar going into the crapper had an effect on your business/purchases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alha
    replied
    Originally posted by Laiky View Post
    hydrogen doesn't have to be expensive or difficult, you go to a distributed model, it is produced at its point of consumption, in other words you make your own. No pipe lines, no grid upgrades. If it costs 50,000 to set up your home you finance it and don't pay electric or heating bills anymore (or gasoline)
    Produced how, from H20? Interesting concept, heard it discussed years ago, each person has their own little utility in a box in their back yard, generates power, heat, etc. 50K is going to be a bit steep for many many ppl, the return on investment is going to be in decades, and many ppl won't bite. I suppose if you can siphon off enough people away from the grid, the rest can live for the time being on the current infrastructure, until the economies of scale get that 50K down to 5-10K, where the majority of the population can easily afford it.

Leave a comment:

• Conrad_Turbo
    replied
    Originally posted by cruizer View Post
    Let me know when you want a Cutmaster 51. I can get an unused "Demo" for pretty close that US cost. So you'd be looking at the GST only, no sales tax either.

Jeff
    Seems I've been quite a bit of an anti-Ackland's rant as of lately (the catalog was right next to me on my desk for a few days...). I'll definately be posting on the board when I begin the debate of the "best" plasma cutter in the $1000-2000 range. If the Cutmaster 51 is the one on my list I'll be sure to let you know. I appreciate the heads up.

Leave a comment:

• Laiky
    replied
    hydrogen doesn't have to be expensive or difficult, you go to a distributed model, it is produced at its point of consumption, in other words you make your own. No pipe lines, no grid upgrades. If it costs 50,000 to set up your home you finance it and don't pay electric or heating bills anymore (or gasoline)

Leave a comment:

• glockdoc
    replied
    For those folks that believe or are concerned that oil/gas is a finite, nonrenewable, resource I suggest you google "Peak Oil". It basically sez that global oil production, over time, follows a bell-shaped curve. A lot of people believe that the globe is at the peak of this production curve and it's slowly downhill from here. The problem is that the global demand curve keeps going up. It gets ugly when these two curves get far enough apart.

One of the more reputable websites out there seems to be http://www.TheOilDrum.com There are many other good ones out there.

Leave a comment:

• alha
    replied
    Originally posted by glockdoc View Post
    Inflation is in check, life is good ............. as long as you don't eat, drive, or heat/cool your home.
    LOL couldn't have said it better myself.

I agree, solar & hydrogen are the way of the future, at least it appears so at this point, but who knows what might be discovered to change all that? One issue with hydrogen is that it takes a lot of energy with current technology to extract it, from water at least. I know they are working on it, but the other thing is the infrastructure (pipelines, fueling stations, local transportation of it, etc.) converting from oil to hydrogen is going to cost Billions & Billions (sheesh, I sound like Carl Sagan... ), I'm sure the industry is going to look to the govt for a good chunk of the $ to do it. It's going to be an interesting next 20-30 years, that's for sure.

Leave a comment:

• glockdoc
    replied
    Inflation is in check, life is good ............. as long as you don't eat, drive, or heat/cool your home.

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Originally posted by Conrad_Turbo View Post
    Edit: A Cutmaster 51 goes for around $1300USD in the US...while as at my local Acklands it's $2600CAD...
    Let me know when you want a Cutmaster 51. I can get an unused "Demo" for pretty close that US cost. So you'd be looking at the GST only, no sales tax either.

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• Laiky
    replied
    I think ethanol is just a stop gap, the real solution, is solar/wind and hydogen fuel cells. that combined with increased efficiency . Solar has a long way to go yet, they are only 20% efficient, but 80% efficient panels are on the way. If there were a federal regulation stating that a certain % of all roof area be covered with solar on new construction or commercial buildings we could make a huge dent. The govt. could subsidize and reclaim the loss on the lack of military expenses in the mid east that would follow.

It has been demonstrated that you can run a home on solar/hydrogen alone, Why aren't we trying?? Oh yeah, thats right, all our leaders (both sides) are in bed with old oil money.

Leave a comment:

• PLUMMER
    replied
    It takes over 40 acres of soybean to run this machine per day and the 9870 sts takes about 40 acres of soy to run a day. A test performed with Cargill and Pioneer using biodesel. Now the Combine running the 32' bean head can only cut about 90 acres in a 14-16 hour day. Now those #'s don't change alot when everything is running good. BUT and this is a BIG BUTT on dry years like this you have to cut 180 acres to get the same yeild or bushels per acre and in some fields its worse. Insurance is picking a big tab up this year. Some fields will just be turned over because the yield is so low. What will America's stupid greenies do then when there's no ethanol to burn because of a dry year???? And you are correct up there when you say " if the whole US was a farm it could only produce enough ethanol to run 90% of New York ONLY!!!!!! Whats the rest of the peple gonna do????? All you hear are the loud mouth B'''''ches on the news anymore. All the movie stars an politicians Know whats best for us, yet I noticed they can't even run their own lives correctly let alone tell us how to do it.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    yep, we are screwed.
    should have pushed for more non-fule related options a long time ago. been too buisy keeping the world economy solid and now our's is screwed. must be some logic in there some where, just not shore where????

Leave a comment:

• alha
    replied
    Originally posted by fun4now View Post
    thanks alha.
    from the looks of the fields around me, we will be seeing a huge need for food after this summer.not so shore about every one else in the states but we got 0 rain this summer. every thing around me died. that will likely carie over at some point to the exchange rate if its effects are far enough reaching.seems like food prices are already going up too fast, this cant help.
    Well, I have an explanation for the price of food going up, at least one of the bigger reasons. Ethanol. We are growing food, to drive our cars. To me, it's crazy. I know we're energy dependent, but to force the cost of food up to all consumers because there is such a strong demand for corn (it's at or near record highs, I heard) and is driving more acres to it instead of other crops, that it raises the cost for farmers feeding cattle, which raises the cost to consumers for everything related - bread, milk, cheese, meat, cereal, etc, etc.

Interesting story I heard about it, if you have a min: http://minnesota.publicradio.org/dis...ugosonethanol/

And, to top it off, there is now a glut of ethanol plants on line or soon to completed, and the price of ethanol is in the toydee. They would be in a Real world of hurt if they didn't get a govt handout/subsidy for each gallon they produce. Supply & demand, farmers love it, everyone else suffers. Nothing against farmers making a fair living, heck no, but when we burn our food as fuel, there's something wrong with that. I've also heard that if we converted _all_ of our cropland to "grow" ethanol, no food for us to eat, just fuel, it would only supply around 10-15% of our fuel needs. They need to find a replacement, Fast, for this, or we're definitely going to have some inflation to deal with. Surprised we don't see it already in the official numbers, but I expect it will be coming, especially with the fed more concerned about a recession, hence lowering the interest rates, than their recent concern about keeping inflation in check. We'll have to see how that one goes. Tough balancing act, to be sure.

*rant mode off*

Leave a comment:

• calweld
    replied
    Originally posted by Coalsmoke View Post
    . . . . .to stay more on the ball, and keep diversifying like Calweld keeps saying. . . . .
    Haha, "Calweld's online degrees . . . we offer BA's and MBA's in Business Administration, with a concentration in Small Business. Additional areas of study include 'How to make money in Stocks,' and 'The ABC's of Real Estate investing.' Receive a valuable education while enjoying the comfort and convenience of your own home. Now accepting applications for the upcoming semester."

Huh, if I was really smart, I'd figure out a way to make money doing this, instead I've been sitting here giving it all away for free the last couple years Ahh, heck, if in some small way I was able to help you or anybody else here, I'm happy.

Leave a comment:

• HMW
    replied
    Cruzier, we're saving all your resources for last, after the world has used up the middle east Can you imagine what will happen when the middle eastern countries no longer have oil to sell? Hopefully by then we'll have found an alternative fuel. I hope we find another fuel source before we all use yours up too.

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Alot of economys are based on the US dollar, some like China ( they have billions in surplus) supress thier dollar to make thier product, rather our product we buy from them at huge savings that we still pass on to some degree.

We buy from suppliers all over the world who supress thier dollar. Cats *** for us.

Leave a comment:

• PLUMMER
    replied
    Its a good thing that the dollar is coming down. Others aren't going up but the US is going down by a controlled pollicy. It levels the playing field with imports and they can't profit as much from their super cheap labor. This then brings our american products also at par with other countries. This means china cannot profit from the huge imports we take from them as much. Another reason why they reduced their intended exports to US. This is not a bad thing , yet it is a planned policy to protect US interests for the day to come. Still our dollar has more street value than any other currency in the world, and it will stay that way no matter how much it falls. Ask a foriegner if he would rather have his currency or the US curency of equal value in his hands. The only downside I personallly have seen is my dollar isn't getting the extra 30 cents in canada and even tho its at par they still haven't changed alot of the exchange rates , even at the border your getting 25% less when crossing with Canadian dollar.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X