MIG or TIG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIG or TIG?

Just wondering what would be easier to use or better?

I am cutting the front radiator support off a vehicle. It is a typical upper radiator core support that is hollow in the center. I would like to cut the factory piece out, close (box) the ends shut and put a stainless steel bar across where I cut the OE piece out of. I know alot of body work is done with a MIG but would the TIG make is easier to not have to grind down the weld when done? This will be my first attempt at body work welding like this. Also I assume a weld thru primer would be good to keep the inside of the piece I just cut from rusting inside-out
    J & J Speed Shop
    (716) 830-0506
    www.JandJSpeedShop.com
    [email protected]

i see you have both a Dyn200 and a MM135 so i can only suspect you can use them both. only you can decide what will give the end result you are looking for. as for grinding down the bead?? a flap disk would make quick work of that be it a TIG or MIG bead. if you TIG it do you intend to leave the bead for appearance ?? both will make a bead that will need grinding if you want it smooth. what is your skill with the 2 ??
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped
    sigpic
    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Comment

The weld metal from 70S KSI filler is the same hardness, whether you apply it with TIG or MIG. Both processes have equal strength assuming the weld is done correctly. MIG is significantly faster than TIG, but, in the interest of post-weld grinding, you can probably keep the bead smaller with TIG, as you are far better in control of the deposition rate.

Hank
      ...from the Gadget Garage
      Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
      Handler 210 w/DP3035
      TA185TSW
      Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
        i see you have both a Dyn200 and a MM135 so i can only suspect you can use them both. only you can decide what will give the end result you are looking for. as for grinding down the bead?? a flap disk would make quick work of that be it a TIG or MIG bead. if you TIG it do you intend to leave the bead for appearance ?? both will make a bead that will need grinding if you want it smooth. what is your skill with the 2 ??
        I would say my skill level is 7 or 8 out of 10 on both the MIG & TIG. I just have never done any sort of body work. I mainly do exhaust, turbo fabrication, engine mounts, roll cages, etc. I guess I would not want either the MIG or TIG bead seen. I would grind and smooth both to look like factory then paint over the entire piece.

Would the correct process with the MIG just be short small tacks that are all tied together like I have seen done on numerous hotrod and motorcycle shows?
        J & J Speed Shop
        (716) 830-0506
        www.JandJSpeedShop.com
        [email protected]

Comment

Working...
        X