The test ..cool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The test ..cool

''Hey fun.. wich test are you shootin for. If it's the N.Y.S.D.O.T or The city I got some info on both

Dave

The AWS D1.1 code
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped
    sigpic
    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Comment

Im intrested in the N.Y.S.D.O.T.
      If you have any info I would appritiate it.

Comment

How bout the ABSA welding examiner test

Comment

Sorry I took a minute
          ok here it is...
          The cert I have is in 3-g. The specs are 1in thick pl with a 3/8 backing strip the included bevel angle is 45 degrees,with a 1/4 in root opening.
          Material: mild steel. I used 5/32nd electrodes..root to cap. Oh yeah this is a 100% x-ray exam.
          Note: all parts to be welded shall be free of mill scale and use 7018 LH rods
          test piece: 4''X6''X1''

f.y.i the city test is the same spec only diff is its a transverse bend root-face.

Best of luck to all. If I can help further I'M at your service

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by mustange70 View Post
            How bout the ABSA welding examiner test
            Sorry no info on that one what does it cover?

Comment

Check these out, its an alberta cert. i'm in process of taking it it but unfortunately where i'm working now i don't have any use for (qc inspector for overlays right now):

http://www.absa.ca/WelderExaminer.aspx

Comment

wow 1", thats a lot of filling. how many passes ? you say 5/32 to cap, do you get to chose the rod size for the hole test or just the cap??
                i was told i needed the 3G & 4G .
                i have not started working on the 4G part yet. might have to get a hair cut for that one.
                thanks for the help
                ......or..........
                hope i helped
                sigpic
                summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                  wow 1", thats a lot of filling. how many passes ? you say 5/32 to cap, do you get to chose the rod size for the hole test or just the cap??
                  i was told i needed the 3G & 4G .
                  i have not started working on the 4G part yet. might have to get a hair cut for that one.
                  5/32 is the rod used for the test. ( from root to cap) no exceptions
                  I used 10-12 5/32 rods to complete the test.As far as it goes 3g vs 4g...It breaks down like this:3g certifies you for 2g,1g as well as the 3g And of course 4g certs you for 3g 2g and 1g as well as 4g
                  F.Y.I 1''PL CERTS YOU FOR UNLIMITED THICKNESSES

Comment

i don't have any 5/32" rod only 1/8".
                    well i don't have any 1" to practice on aether unless i cut up my welding table for practice stock.........naaaa i don't think so.
                    thanks for the help
                    ......or..........
                    hope i helped
                    sigpic
                    JAMES

Comment

You really dont need inch plate to pratice. A piece of angle or two pieces of plate about 1/4 thick inch tacked together into a tee joint and put either into the vertical or overhead postion will do as far as getting your TECHNIQUE DOWN. Or better yet GETTING C.A.R.L.E in order. And 1/8 rods are excellent to pratice with.

Comment

two pieces of plate about 1/4 thick inch tacked together into a tee joint and put either into the vertical or overhead position will do as far as getting your TECHNIQUE DOWN
                        thats a good idea, i'll have to give that a try.
                        Or better yet GETTING C.A.R.L.E in order
                        ok i'm lost?? explain please???
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        JAMES

Comment

C.A.R.L.E. Stands for:
                          C.urrent setting
                          A.ngle of electrode
                          R.ate of travel(speed)
                          L.ength of electrode
                          E.electrode selection(gas)

Some people know these things as the 5 essentials of welding.And when these things are done correctly....A very nice thing takes place....and EXCELLENCE is it's name.FACT: all that have ever ran and OUTSTANDING BEAD OR MADE A BEAUTIFUL WELDMENT HAD TO HAVE THESE COME INTO PLAYThink about it aside from the ''givens''(proper joint set up,configuration,base metal and base prep)in general C,A,R.L.E is what brings it all together.
                          So have you tried running any passes?
                          Dave

Comment

NOT YET HOP TO GET TO THIS WEEKEND .
                            had things we had to do today but i should have some time tomorrow i hope.
                            C.A.R.L.E. Stands for:
                            C.urrent setting
                            A.ngle of electrode
                            R.ate of travel(speed)
                            L.ength of electrode
                            E.electrode selection(gas)

thanks.
                            thanks for the help
                            ......or..........
                            hope i helped
                            sigpic
                            JAMES

Comment

Weld One, You need to check on what cancells what. I'm pretty sure that a
                              3G certifies you for 1-G, 2-G & 3-G.
                              and the 4-G certifies you for a 1-G and a 4G. I'm about 98% sure.

I dont agree with testing doing a tee joint with 1/8" rod on 1/4" angle.

Running different diameter rods might be close but there still a little different, and travel speed is a little different on 1/4" verses 1" plate.

You might get by easy if your doing a flat plate test but if its out of position I would highly recommend testing on what the test will be and following it to the tee. The test is pricey, and your nervouse when taking the test so the last thing you want is to not be familiar with the process.

This is just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X