No announcement yet.

Portable welder is building a Pipe Welding Rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gotta say reallly nice truck and really nice welding bed. I was wondering has anyone tried making there bed outta aluminum? I'm sure it wouledn't be as strong but seems like it would really cut down on the weight.

Chris

Comment

Coal, the box in the middle is a Pack Rat tool box, Its really tight it was not originally designed to go there and it barely fits.

Chris 2626, Im sure their are plenty made out of aluminum. In fact a couple months back I believe there was a guy from Canada with an aluminum bed if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Lookin good, can't wait to see it all painted and installed!

The shop I work at has made several alum. decks, lately we've been making a pile of alum. skids. Guys like the fact that they can unbolt the skid, unload it and use there truck for other things, or buy a new truck and quickly transfer all the stuff. Steel is heavier, prone to rust but a lot less $$$$
        at home:
        2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
        2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
        2008 Suitcase 12RC
        Spoolmatic 30A
        WC-24
        2009 Dynasty 200DX
        2000 XMT 304
        2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
        Sold:MM130XP
        Sold:MM 251
        Sold:CST 280

at work:
        Invision 350MP
        Dynasty 350
        Millermatic 350P
        Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

yeah I forgot about here in the south how stuff doesn't rust away to nothing

Comment

Im about an hour drive from Ontario, Canada here in michigan, they use a fair amount of salt, I'd say my rig still looks pretty good for being 8 years old going through the salt, I doubt the winter in canada lasts much longer than ours. and they dont use sand on the roads around here, its all salt. from mid November to the end of march.

Its called paint the under side of the bed and wash the truck once a week.

An aluminum bed will typically cut the weight by about half, even though aluminum is lighter, you typically have to go a little thicker when using aluminum.

The big dry wall trucks went to aluminum beds about 10 years ago but because the aluminum cracks so bad due to the weight many of them are switching back to steel.

Comment

Originally posted by Coalsmoke View Post
              our winters are from 6-10months,
              So, coal, where you live in BC you can only depend on June and July being ice-free?????

Comment

Coal, I never looked on a map as to where your location is you must be up near Alaska for those long winters, That being said an aluminum deck would make alot more sence, however salt can deteriorate aluminum pretty quick as well.

Comment

I think Coalsmoke was just exagerating a bit guys, it just feels like winter lasts 9 months hear sometimes with all the nonstop rain and such. To the best of my knowledge he lives about an hours drive away from my house, unless of course he relocated.

But you are right about the salt here Coal, they use WAY too much. It hurts me every time I drive to hear the sound of my truck being salt blasted to a shorter life. If only people would learn how to drive in poor conditions and practice a little common sense...
                  Owner of Burnt Beard Fabrication & Welding Ltd.

BigBlue 500D
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 211
                  4' Box and Pan Break
                  IR compressor

Comment

Originally posted by calweld
                    So, coal, where you live in BC you can only depend on June and July being ice-free?????
                    Hey I was on a job In Ft. Nelson a few years ago and it snowed in August! Thats a little Northish but the Central Interior can expect some snowfall from October thru April. Winter is getting shorter and milder all the time though...
                    Cheers,
                    Chris

PipePro350 SS,Pro300 SS,X-tremeVS,Dynasty200DX,MM251, SA-200 Redface,SA-200 Shorthood,SAE-300

Comment

I was only thinking of aluminum to maybe save on the weight and especially the diesel fuel or gas burned. I know you;re carrying what about a 1300 pound machine on the back that is if it is a sa 200 just thought aluminum would be nice.

Comment

I can't really see anything in the photos 'cept the lead well picture.
                        I'd just add that the lid/hinge is going to take a major beating, I would make it very stout if'n it were me.
                        Even if it's bulletproof, some helper WILL break it.

JTMcC.
                        Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Cool looking from what I can see. somebody asked about an aluminum bed. I built one this past summer. Some of you have seen it already. Not for welding but rather my wifes property maint business. so far so good. I posted these on the project side awhile back. Shes gotten alot of compliments from other contractors got pictures all the way while building thanks to my sons. I attached a couple so you would see what it looks like.
                          Attached Files
                          Scott
                          HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

Looks sharp! Nicely done.
                            Cheers,
                            Chris

PipePro350 SS,Pro300 SS,X-tremeVS,Dynasty200DX,MM251, SA-200 Redface,SA-200 Shorthood,SAE-300

Comment

JTMcC,
                              I have wells on my rig that I use to keep chain binders, clamps & oil cans in.

The doors have held up fine on my truck but thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
                                JTMcC,
                                I have wells on my rig that I use to keep chain binders, clamps & oil cans in.

The doors have held up fine on my truck but thanks for the suggestion.

Yea, but you don't work with the Standard Issue Helper. Your friend will.

Plus when you leave your doors open, the laborers will throw skids at them for sport, swampers will throw a choker around them to pull you out of the sand and side boom drivers will run into them.

JTMcC
                                Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Working...
                                X