Any other options to acetone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any other options to acetone

Seeing how California is getting away from some of the solvents/paint thinners are there any other options to cleaning than acetone?
    Phil

Originally posted by phil99vette View Post
    Seeing how California is getting away from some of the solvents/paint thinners are there any other options to cleaning than acetone?
    Phil
    70 or 90 percent rubbing alky has served me well for years. A lot of professionals in the aircraft world use it as well. Perfectly safe to have on your hands and breathe in. MEK and Acetone are bad stuff, Im a young guy I wish to not die that way!

-Aaron
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Comment

Acetone sucks and if they ban it in Calif there is going to be a bunch of [email protected]@@@@off ladies with the fake nails. Just walk by your local nail place in the mall and take a whiff, those people are rotting their brains for fun and beauty. I don't use it...Bob
      Bob Wright

Comment

i went to rubbing alky for a wile now. its cheap easy to get and dosent smell near as bad.
        thanks for the help
        ......or..........
        hope i helped
        sigpic
        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
        JAMES

Comment

I seriously doubt there is any real hazard in lacquer thinner. The auto body industry used it for at least 60+ years. Bodymen/painters used a LOT of the stuff. Wash their hands with it to get paint off (drys out the skin, though). There were no noticeable health problems until they started using the enamel paints with hardeners/catalysts. That is absorbed through the skin. Then the new epoxy paints they use are poisonous based. My father saw a lot of painters develop neurological problems and die young from using those early additives. He worked until about 75 years old. He noticed an effect the first time he used it, and never went near them again. The guys doing custom paint jobs with those enamels paid a big price. My father taught a lot of guys, and he outlived all the ones who ignored his advice to stay away from them. The paint manufacturers said a mask is good enough. They were wrong, you needed a full space suit.

Will

Comment

Is acetone really that bad??? I use brake cleaner when I don't want to haul out the big bottle of acetone.

Is California going to ban brake cleaner too?

Comment

Different chemicals attack some people in different ways.
              About everything discussed here is hardcore stuff except alchohol.
              Most paint thinners will get you "stoned" pretty easy and who really knows what effect it really has on you?
              My dad was also an old bodyman...he is now 78....there are few old bodymen.
              Acetone is prolly the best choise to clean your aluminum but not the best choice for your health!!! You could do worse tho. As for brake cleaner....I am only going from memory here but some cleaners have stuff in them that react with ultra-violet light and create poison gas!!!
              I say don't use mixture type solutions like certain thinners unless you know what each ingredient will do.
              All that being said the last place I worked a "normal" job they used alky when required and it worked just fine in most cases. One way to look at it is if the nurse came in and swabbed you with acetone before a shot how would you feel about that?

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
              Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
              MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
              Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
              Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
              Miller 30-A Spoolgun
              Miller WC-115-A
              Miller Spectrum 300
              Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
              Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by cunninglinguist View Post
                Is acetone really that bad???
                Spray it on some styrofoam and then tell me what you think.

Comment

You won't find acetone in the shop here. I use a metal cleaner from PPG? It is acid based and cleans the oxide and anything else on the AL. Just put it on and wash it off. Pretty mild stuff but being acid based the usual precautions apply. Still have same bottle from 6 yr ago. Shows how much AL I do huh?Other than that it's SS. Anything else gets cleaned by the square wave. Sides that I leave the room when Honey Deluxe does her nails.

Comment

I just welded some alum racks for a tiltbed that had been laying in a barn and smelled like horse manure and diesel fuel. I soaked the small broken parts in a bucket of water and Simple Green cleaner overnight and they were perfect the next day, didn't even smell anymore. A grinding disc took care of the bigger rails...Bob
                    Bob Wright

Comment

Brake Cleaner

Originally posted by cunninglinguist View Post
                      Is acetone really that bad??? I use brake cleaner when I don't want to haul out the big bottle of acetone.

Is California going to ban brake cleaner too?
                      I read a post somewhere that said when brake cleaner combusts it produces phosgene (a serious nerve gas).

If you ask, I'll hunt up the reference . . . but the post seemed informed enough that I stopped everyone in my shop from cleaning throttle bodies with the stuff to keep its byproducts out of the shop air.

At $0.19 per bottle, alcohol cleans most of what remains after other cleaning, and leaves my fingertips clean.

Joe

Comment

Does alcohol do a good job of cleaning oily residue off of metal?

One real benefit of alcohol would be when you get a cut. Might sting for while, but at least you won't get infected...
                        Millermatic Passport Plus
                        Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
                        XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12VS
                        Dynasty 300 DX
                        Thermal Arc 400 MST
                        Victor O/A
                        Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Comment

i also read the posting about the break fluid, not good stuff to use . i stick to alcohol 99% of the time. its a great degrees-er. i do have some acetone but as the alcohol is much cheaper i tend to use it most. i don't see any real benefit from one to the other. except for $$ although if i run out of alcohol i can always run into the house and grab a quick refill from under the bathroom sink. just have to make shore the wife doesn't catch me taking all her stash.
                          crawler
                          alcohol dose a great job of cleaning the metal. it also drys up fast so you are ready to go on to the next step quickly.
                          thanks for the help
                          ......or..........
                          hope i helped
                          sigpic
                          feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                          JAMES

Comment

Thanks for the info. James.. Looks like I need to go find some rubbing alcohol in the gallon size.
                            Millermatic Passport Plus
                            Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
                            XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12VS
                            Dynasty 300 DX
                            Thermal Arc 400 MST
                            Victor O/A
                            Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Comment

This is going to sound stupid but where do buy alcohol from? Is it in the same section as thinner and acetone in the hardware store?

Comment

Working...
                              X