Filing/grinding welds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filing/grinding welds

I have often heard it is a bad thing to file a weld that is structurally OK, but ugly. To remove metal from the bead left behind by the welder. Sounds as though there could be some concern that a stress riser might be formed in the process. Could I get some coments on this: Is it a legitimate concern, and what, if anything, is the cause for concern.

Obviously one would need to file in such a way as not to adversely affect the parts being welded. My question is just relative to the weld bead.

Depends on a couple of factors but many welds are ground flush to remove stress risers and excess material especially where there may be constant load cycling or bending so the stresses do not work against the edge of the welds.

Comment

You can just grind off the bad weld and weld a good one.

Comment

I always file the sides of my welds, aswell as grind down the tie in for stamping. Everything I do is inspected, and no one has ever said anything about the two. A nicely filed rolled weld can look pretty much perfect.

Comment

I grind the welds flat where a lot of compression or tension is envolved. For example: Take two 3/8 x 6 x 24 flats, double vee and weld together to make a piece 48 long. If you left a hump on both welds 1/8 high your piece now has a thickness of 5/8 at the weld. Now twist the piece and you set up torsional stresses where the 3/8 will twist till it gets to the thicker weld that won't twist due to the thicker weld. Thus it cracks along the weld over repeated twisting. So grind off the weld flat to retain the 3/8 thickness and the joint will twist along with the rest of the piece.

Comment

Working...
          X