keeping old welders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keeping old welders

Do people here keep all their old welders for sentimental reasons? I have a stick welder I'm thinking of selling for space reasons but I'm feeling bad about it.

If it's in the way and the machine that replaced it will do what it can, I'd get rid of it.

Comment

The answer to that is pretty much, No. I keep some equipment because the money I can get for it would be minimal, the replacement even for occasional use would be high, rentals on one job would pay for the thing. I can take on something part time for a month and leave some equipment on the job without shorting myself elsewhere, if I really didn't see a future for it the thing would be gone.
      Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, it can be easily replaced, I just don't like selling my quality tools.

Comment

seems like as soon as you sell a tool you need it again. if you can find a space for it, best to keep it.
          especially if its a case like Sberry said where you cant get enough to justify letting it go and replacement would be high $.
          Sberry thats a good looking sa-200, i bet you could get good $$ for it, they do go purity high on e-bay if they look 1/2 as good as that one. seems like the old sa-200 is one of those welders every one remembers fondly as a great money maker. from what i have herd of there arc i would have a hard time letting one go also.
          i intend to get a MM210/212 as soon as i can swing the $$ but no way do i intend to let my MM135 go. even though the MM210/212 dose a great job on the thin stuff the MM135 is just so portable, a great lil flux setup for out in the yard or whatever. no telling what it would go for i got it at about $400 , but the new MM140 is closer to $900 i think. just be crazy to let the old MM135 go. i can always keep it for my son's first welder.
          thanks for the help
          ......or..........
          hope i helped
          sigpic
          feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
          JAMES

Comment

I feel the same fun4 now. I bet that is a handy little welder, at times probably priceless.

Comment

I hang on to this old Westinghouse welder for sentimental reasons. It was my fathers and I remember welding with it when I was a little kid on the farm. It still welds fine, but I felt an upgrade was in order so I bought the Synchrowave 250.
              Attached Files
              To all who contribute to this board.
              My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
              Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
              Miller Syncrowave 250
              Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

yep the MM135 has done a lot more than i expected. to be without it just dosent seem like an option.

after all without it i would not have been able to build this.
                Attached Files
                thanks for the help
                ......or..........
                hope i helped
                sigpic
                summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                JAMES

Comment

Yeah them are 2 good reasons to keep your tried but true tools,nice old machine,and real neat little shop you got there.All steel im assumeing .

Comment

the frame and all but the ends are steel. i ran out and had to use plywood on the ends. but for free ya cant complain.
                    thanks for the help
                    ......or..........
                    hope i helped
                    sigpic
                    JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                      but for free ya cant complain.
                      Thats my motto, "If its free, its for me."
                      To all who contribute to this board.
                      My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
                      Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
                      Miller Syncrowave 250
                      Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

I've relinquished (got rid of) two welders in my life. One was the first one I ever had and learned to weld on. It was an Airco buzzbox and I had no need to keep it when I got my Miller Dialarc 250. The other was an old engine powered AC 180 amp welder that I replaced with my current old engine driven AC/DC 225 amp machine. I could see no reason then or now to keep those welders. Let someone that needs them get some use out of them.
                        Jim

Comment

Tools and Guns...............I rarely let either one get away from me once it's mine!! And on the rare occasion that I let one go, I almost always end up regretting it.
                          Lincoln Tombstone 180 AC
                          Hobart Handler 120
                          Millermatic 210
                          Old Harris O/A setup
                          Victor SuperRange II on propane
                          Hypertherm Powermax 380
                          Ryobi 14" chop saw
                          Milwaukee Sawzall
                          A bunch of grinders
                          A lotta other tools

Check out my website at: Ed Eldridge's Race Page

sigpic

Comment

I am not good at selling tools but to keep something around it has to have value, I can stand to sort some stuff now. When I get a chance another big slug is going. I need some huge shelves as it is, too much to look thru for the things we really need.

Comment

OT - Re-read the topic

Sorry, but no matter how many times I read the posts on this thread, when I see the topic in the main list I think:

Are they talking about getting rid of folks just 'cause they're long in the tooth? (Or toothless?)

Of course you keep your old welders . . . until they die, or win the lottery and can retire. And if they start making dangerous mistakes you take their stingers from them and give them a flog to keep the younger ones working hard.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X