Please help me with my weld!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me with my weld!

These are two tig welds in an aluminum casting, I cleaned everything well but could not get a good looking weld, I am using a syncrowave 250, balance on 3(balanced). I went over the welds twice hoping to get a better look which may account for why they are so high. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Bob
    Attached Files

welding aluminum castings are a crap shoot at best, some weld good and others don't. FWIW i think you did good concidering the condition of the base metal.
    The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I am only a hobbiest and was hoping for the distinct looking puddles. I can get them when I do my practice stamps, but not this time? I did notice a lot of junk comming to the top of the puddle. I wonder if maybe I was lifting the tourch and dipping, instead of moving back a bit?

Thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Q View Post
        Thanks for the feedback! I am only a hobbiest and was hoping for the distinct looking puddles. I can get them when I do my practice stamps, but not this time? I did notice a lot of junk comming to the top of the puddle. I wonder if maybe I was lifting the tourch and dipping, instead of moving back a bit?

Thanks!!!
        if you get your torch too far away from the base you can get contamination too, but when welding cast it's just something you usually have to put up with when welding aluminum clean is the name of the game and when your base metal is full of contaminants there isn't much you can do.
        The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

Comment

Yup.. welding cast aluminum parts can be tricky. Some weld great, and some do not. Wether it is the alloy of the base material or the contamination down in the pores of the material, it is hard to tell sometimes. Looks like you did a good job.

Comment

Overall it looks like a good job for cast. The only way you can make it look better is by grinding the weld down and reweld, and repeat till it looks good.

Comment

Cast aluminums are very porous and can retain allot of dirt anad crap in those pores. When preping or grinding to make room for the weld, use a low speed grinder with disc for aluminum, or carbide bit. I have also had good luck with sand blasting and bead blasting first, than beveling the part. This can help to keep the dirt from being smeared into the soft aluminum. Preheating with a oxy fuel torch can also help cook the crap and oils to the surface. Useing a 4047 filler on cast aluminums also can help. The higher silicon contant helps the weld to wet out.

Gary

Comment

Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!

I have 4047 and didn't use it I had goten it for some harley casings I was doing at the time and forgot I had it.

I thanks you all again for the help!

Bob

Comment

Working...
                X