Ground clamp heating up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground clamp heating up

Hi guys, have any of you guys experience the ground clamp heat up during welding? So hot I have to wait till it cools to grab . I'm running a MM210 which is a realy great machine along with the spoolmate. Cant really seem to find anything wrong with ground clamp, any info would be great.

Thanks

Check the cable. There is some resistance somewhere. Most likely it is where the cable enters the clamp. If it looks deformed in any way, that may be it. Just buy a lug, cut it shorter and redo it. If that is the problem, you'll be fixed up.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Sounds like a loose connection on the clamp. Like DDA52 said, get another lug and redo the end of the lead and fix the clamp. Had to replace some Tweco rod holders on our welding leads because they deformed from loose connection causing overheating of the clamp mechanism while in use. Made sure the new handles had good solid tight connections and haven't had another hot handle in the hand since.
      '77 Miller Bluestar 2E on current service truck
      '99 Miller Bobcat 225NT for New Service Truck
      '85 Millermatic 200 in Shop

'72 Marquete 295 AC cracker box in Shop
      '07 Hypertherm Powermax 1000 G3 Plasma Cutter in Shop
      Miller Elite and Digital Elite Hoods

Comment

Ive chcked the cables and it is fine, the only thing I noticed is the brass lug thats bolts on to the clamp. that looks pretty warn, but it the second one we have replaced. The welder is about 8 month old, to new to have problems I think.

Comment

i had the same problem with the ground clam in my dins conector, so be shore to check both ends and find it fast, you dont want to cause any internal problems over a simple thing like a loose nut.
          congrats on the MM210, i cant wait to get me one.
          thanks for the help
          ......or..........
          hope i helped
          sigpic
          feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
          JAMES

Comment

Check your work lead at the machine lug, had a few deltaweld 452's melt their clamp/lead right off the work table after frayed lead was grounding out on the machine case. You never know sometimes.

Comment

You've checked the conection cable to cable lug.
              You've checked the connection cable lug to clamp.
              You've checked the connection cable to machine.
              I may be oversimplifying this but are you cleaning where you attach your ground clamp to the work? I agree pretty much with everything already contributed but nobody has inquired about the actual contact with the work piece. This, more than anything else, is overlooked and causes most of the ground clamp/cable lug failures in production shops. Any rust or mill scale should be removed from workpiece where ground is to be attached to ensure good conductivity and lowest possible resistance.
              If you're not already doing this, it's a good habit to get into.
              There is absolutely no reason to be on your second cable lug & ground clamp in only 8 months - with that size of a machine & even daily usage for light fabrication, those parts should last for years.

Later,
              Later,
              Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Comment

the only thing I noticed is the brass lug thats bolts on to the clamp. that looks pretty warn, but it the second one we have replaced. The welder is about 8 month old, to new to have problems I think.
                defenetly too soon to have problems, if every thing is tight and you still have the problem i would check the cable its self, has anything been dropped on it ?? is it possible its gotten broken inside the inselstion??
                Black Wolf makes a good point about the grounding point being clean first. i have had my MM for over 5 years and never a problem with the clamp. its just not some thing you here about being a problem, even in a production run situation you should not have to be replacing them every 8 months. take it in to a tack. if you cant find a lose point as the problem, its way not the norm for the MM210's they are a verry solid unit with almost no problems, and non that are standerd. track down the problem and you should have years of grate service out of it.
                thanks for the help
                ......or..........
                hope i helped
                sigpic
                summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                JAMES

Comment

i have found that most of my machines have had some pretty crappy ground clamps on them and no matter what i did they heated up. i replaced all of them and double checked all the ground cables for cuts and points that they may have been melted from hot pieces falling on them and now i have no problems with her heating up. although they still get pretty warm when running around 30 volts. what voltage and how long are u running machine for that might be the problem too give her 5 mins to cool off once and a while.
                  trail blazer 302
                  hypertherm plasma
                  millermatic 251
                  high feq. arc starter
                  suit case (extreme 12vs)
                  o/a torches
                  way to many other tools to list

Comment

he is running a MM210 he should not be heating heating problems with the ground. some thing is amiss.
                    thanks for the help
                    ......or..........
                    hope i helped
                    sigpic
                    JAMES

Comment

Our ground lead on our MM200 has two splices in it. One, my dad had dropped a heavy part on the lead by accident and it cut clean through it and left a gouge in the concrete floor. We spliced it back together with heavy copper tubing and heat shrink and never looked back. That splice is still on the lead with no further heating problems. When I came back to help my dad a few years ago, I had to make another repair to the ground lead. Seems that one of the many hands that worked for my dad had damaged the lead and just taped over the spot. I noticed the insulation swelling and melting away so I inspected it. The wire inside was cut through about half way. I cut out the bad section and repaired it like the other cut. Again, no problems since it was fixed. If it happens again, we will just replace the lead.

Check the full length of the ground lead for any damage to the insulation. Also, the lead will curl in a natural way in your hand. If for some reason, you find a sharp bend or curl in a spot that doesn't look natural, this could be an area were the wire inside may be damaged.

I also agree with the other guy about having clean metal to ground to when welding. Our MM200 and HT1000 are finicky about having good grounds to work properly. I have had to clean excessive rust off some materials to get good contact to make things work right. I still have not had a ground clamp get so hot I couldn't touch it though.

Comment

The only thing that can cause heat in electrical circuit is resistance.

You have a resistance in the ground circuit. Nothing else is possible.
                        The cable weight is too small for the amps you are pushing.
                        The connection at the clamp th the cable is loose, dirty or intermittent.
                        The connection at the cable to the machine is loose, dirty or intermittent.
                        The connection from the clamp to the work is loose, dirty or intermittent.

TJ
                        TJ______________________________________

Comment

Thanks guys for all the info, but I just decided to replace the whole ground cable along with a new ground clamp and mounting hardware. We've been welding all day today and it seems to have cured the problem for now, will see after a few weeks of some good welding time if it was the problem. But thanks again to all.

Comment

Time for a post mortem

OK, you have replaced the the faulty cable and clamp in question. Now is the perfect opportunity to find out why it was doing what it was doing. Since it was replaced, there is no loss by taking it apart and finding why it was heating up the clamp like it did. You may find the cause or it may direct you in the right direction.

Most people just replace things. My dad built his business on finding out why a pump failed and taking the corrective steps to keep pumps in the hole. We like repeat customers and repeat business but not repeat jobs. Finding out why something failed and then correcting the problem is better in the long run with less down time.

Anyway, dissection of the failed item might reveal something that might help others who may run across the same problem in the future. Just replacing the cable and clamp doesn't answer the question as to why it failed. I for one would like to know as well as maybe some of the guys here and at Miller too. Especially on a machine that is only 8 months old and technically still under warranty.

Comment

Time for a post mortem . . . . .
                              Very good point . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X