what heat an speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what heat an speed

I was just wondering how you would weld 14ga rusty an greasy m.s as far as volts an ipm mig welding it with .045 wire an straight co2. I was wanting some certified guys to let me know, I usally run it about 22v an 350 ipm an its very cold an slow compared to most of my work, but it gets nice penetration through the crud an seems to hold there pretty good as i run a curved down hill weld on a chain gaurd an slightly overhead for a few inches. Reason I wonder is a few of my co workers are lucky to run 17 v an 300ipm on a equivalint piece they pop crack fart snort eggs roll off an blow holes all the way through . an still claim i runem way to hot an its a guard what stress is it really gonna get as far as getting it to hot even if i did.

.045 for 14 ga, that should be plenty....Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

A really dumb question

Forgive me for this but just exactly WHY would you WANT to weld on rusty greasy anything if you didn't have too??? Why not clean the piece up and reduce the chance of the garbage getting into the weld bead????

Later,
      Later,
      Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Comment

wile that was my first thought also, some shops just dont let you spend the time to do it right. sad but seems to be the case more then one would think.
        i would run as hot as i could get away with without burning threw. better to get it hot then too cold. gotta burn off the crud on the way in.
        Co2 is a good choice for this and is a doable thing, although not the way i would want to work. i would rather clean it first.
        but after all, a guy has to eat. so if the boss say weld it like poo, ya gotta weld it like pooo.
        thanks for the help
        ......or..........
        hope i helped
        sigpic
        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
        JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by bigo View Post
          I was just wondering how you would weld 14ga rusty an greasy m.s as far as volts an ipm mig welding it with .045 wire an straight co2. ...
          I would switch to .035 or .045 self-shielded flux-cored wire, like Lincoln Innershield.

Comment

Yes I like welding clean metalalso.
            I have been welding them up as i said .As im not haveing any problems ,getting a decent bead on them .Though we all no its not right.
            But thats the way less important stuff is around there.
            I was asking what heat an speed another welder who is capable of turning up the heat an burning in the through the crud would run these with the equipment ive got to use.
            Not how just there prefered heat aslots are afraid to run it over about 18v.
            owen

Comment

Originally posted by bigo
              Yes I like welding clean metalalso.
              I have been welding them up as i said .As im not haveing any problems ,getting a decent bead on them .Though we all no its not right.
              But thats the way less important stuff is around there.
              I was asking what heat an speed another welder who is capable of turning up the heat an burning in the through the crud would run these with the equipment ive got to use.
              Not how just there prefered heat aslots are afraid to run it over about 18v.
              owen
              You know Owen: I almost never look at the IMP (inch per minute) of my wire feeder. I have in mind a cretin voltage that I think the situation needs i.e. spray or short arc and then I adjust the IMP to the voltage and as the material changes gets thicker or has more crud or what ever I adjust again and again.

In other threads I have seen that many other welders do it quite the same.

TJ
              TJ______________________________________

Comment

I agree. I've had to weld "through" thick grease due to circumstances WAY beyond my or my bosses control. When a machine turret cracks, and the sucker's 3/4 covered with fifth-wheel weight grease, you weld when half the plant is shut down and you're crawling under equipment that takes the maintenance crew 2 days to tear down/reassemble.

Running .035 or .045 at 17/300~?...is gonna pop and sh*t all over. I agree with above that IPM are besides the point *at first* Get your process underway with the voltage you need for good fusion, then adjust wire up if it's taking all day.

Comment

I'd try to NOT do it, to much crap goes wrong, and you will get crap in the weld with the mig, you'd have better luck with a exx10 electrode cause then you'll burn that crap off better and get good penetration (as cellose electrodes use hydrogen to penetrate better)

Comment

Working...
                  X