No announcement yet.

What hood do You use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I run a welding program here in MI and have had a chance to try most of the shields out there. I have a few Miller elites that I loan out and everybody seems to really like them. I also have a few Speedglass, which is what I switched to from the Jackson Nexgen because the Nexgen was so heavy. I have switched back to the Nexgen now that they introduced the Halo X series shield. I love the clarity and neutral color of the Nexgen.

Comment

Originally posted by PUMPKINHEAD View Post
      name that character for a 100, J.Wellington Wimpy (it pays to be old at times)
      Pumpkinhead wins, he got the name. So high five to him.
      Fun4Now was on the right track and did infact come up with where I got my idea, if I like it today I will pay Tuesday. High five to him also.
      '77 Miller Bluestar 2E on current service truck
      '99 Miller Bobcat 225NT for New Service Truck
      '85 Millermatic 200 in Shop

'72 Marquete 295 AC cracker box in Shop
      '07 Hypertherm Powermax 1000 G3 Plasma Cutter in Shop
      Miller Elite and Digital Elite Hoods

Comment

just recently bought the miller elite 29 roadster hood.before that a stellstrom with a huntsman speed glass for about 14 years.
        301 trailblazer
        12vs extreme mig box
        spectrum plus plasma
        steelmax mag drill
        millwaukee steel cutting skillsaw

dewalt 14" cold cut off saw
        various hand &power tools
        spoolmatic 30a

Comment

Originally posted by KevinR View Post
          I run a welding program here in MI and have had a chance to try most of the shields out there. I have a few Miller elites that I loan out and everybody seems to really like them. I also have a few Speedglass, which is what I switched to from the Jackson Nexgen because the Nexgen was so heavy. I have switched back to the Nexgen now that they introduced the Halo X series shield. I love the clarity and neutral color of the Nexgen.
          Kevin, you're pretty lucky to have had the chance to test most of them out there, I've been following this thread hoping to get the answer as to which is the best auto-darkening hood out there, since I am going to soon be getting my welders.

Unfortunately, there is no consensus as to which is best. You have hit upon the perfect scenario, to be able to test them all in a production environment, where you can use them for more than 10 mins in your LWS, in different situations, and see what works best for you.

That's the conclusion I've gotten from this thread, that it is pretty much personal preference, and to test them all (as many as possible) before you buy. That wouldn't be bad, but for the fact that the top end ones cost well over $200 apiece, and if you are testing 3-5 of them, that gets expensive pretty quickly.

It seems that 3-4 of them stand out, I guess that you pretty much can't go wrong with any of them. I will probably start out with a BWE, many ppl like it, though Sundown said he liked the Miller Professional over the BWE for Tig, didn't say why though. Does anyone know if they are releasing any new models this summer/fall? I remember seeing a thread here about someone having a BWE looking hood, had different (better, from what I remember reading) internals, and they put them into a BWE hood, just had to flip it over to get it to fit correctly. I remember someone mentioning that this might be the next upgrade to the BWE, but of course no one could saw for certain. Thoughts?

Comment

since I started this new tig welding job I have gone back to my autodark. I really don't like it but it is better for me because of the type of welding I'm doing. I have had this happend a few times over the last few days it's like the shield will go dark but I see like a pinkish light. I have called Jaskson I don't know how many times and they have replaced the cartridge twice. They say we tested your old lens and it appeard to be fine. I don't know if it is the humidity down here or what. I think I may try geting a miller Elite or a speedglass next because the Nexgen is very heavy I could see myself getting arthritis when I am old using this same shield. The permanent lense in this shield is fine it's just when I put the cartridge in it makes it really heavy.
            I have never tried the speedglass so I'm kinda hestent of spending so much and getting it. I have tried the Miller Elite and did like it so I may end up getting that next. I hate to buy a new shield when this one works but gosh it is very heavy on my kneck towards the last couple hours of the day.

Chris

Comment

alha
              you have caught on perfectly. there is no one perfect hood for every one, if there was only one would be offerd.
              people all have diferent taste in what they like and what is important to them. some want controles outside some in, its all about what feels good and suits your needs. the top hoods all would serve you well and are a safe bet as a good hood.
              might try to find a LWS with several of the top hoods and try them all on. check out the feel and view from the inside. think about if you want the controles inside or out, if you think a grind mode is imortante, stuff like that. decide what you think will suit you and go that way. i was happy with internal controles, i didnt want to worry about hitting them and i dont change often enough to need outside controles. generaly if i sit down to weld it will eather be with my MIG or MY TIG and whatever i'm doing i'll be at that for a wile, so i dont need to change setting often. graphics also play a part in the choice, if they are important to you and if you are willing to fork out the extra $25-50 for them.
              as long as you stick to a top brand you should be verry happy with it no matter wich one you get.
              thanks for the help
              ......or..........
              hope i helped
              sigpic
              feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
              summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
              JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                alha
                you have caught on perfectly. there is no one perfect hood for every one, if there was only one would be offerd.
                people all have diferent taste in what they like and what is important to them. some want controles outside some in, its all about what feels good and suits your needs. the top hoods all would serve you well and are a safe bet as a good hood.
                might try to find a LWS with several of the top hoods and try them all on. check out the feel and view from the inside. think about if you want the controles inside or out, if you think a grind mode is imortante, stuff like that. decide what you think will suit you and go that way. i was happy with internal controles, i didnt want to worry about hitting them and i dont change often enough to need outside controles. generaly if i sit down to weld it will eather be with my MIG or MY TIG and whatever i'm doing i'll be at that for a wile, so i dont need to change setting often. graphics also play a part in the choice, if they are important to you and if you are willing to fork out the extra $25-50 for them.
                as long as you stick to a top brand you should be verry happy with it no matter wich one you get.
                I think I will hit the LWS, hope they have a selection of the top ones listed here. I am pretty sure I am going for the Miller BWE, and believe it or not, I'm going old school and getting black. I wonder how many of those they sell a year? It's not the money, like you said, it's only an extra $25-50, not much for something that should last for years, but I guess I just like the straight black, to me looks more like a tool than a piece of artwork. Just my opinion, of course

Speaking of opinions, I guess I don't yet have one on the inside vs. outside controls, I think I would be like you, doing one type of welding at a time, so shouldn't hopefully need to change in the middle to a different setting. I think it would be nice to have a grind mode, and if it would work from O/A to arc/mig/tig welding, that would a bonus.

Are there any areas that you know this hood is a little weaker than others in?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by alha View Post
                  I think I will hit the LWS, hope they have a selection of the top ones listed here. I am pretty sure I am going for the Miller BWE, and believe it or not, I'm going old school and getting black. I wonder how many of those they sell a year? It's not the money, like you said, it's only an extra $25-50, not much for something that should last for years, but I guess I just like the straight black, to me looks more like a tool than a piece of artwork. Just my opinion, of course

Speaking of opinions, I guess I don't yet have one on the inside vs. outside controls, I think I would be like you, doing one type of welding at a time, so shouldn't hopefully need to change in the middle to a different setting. I think it would be nice to have a grind mode, and if it would work from O/A to arc/mig/tig welding, that would a bonus.

Are there any areas that you know this hood is a little weaker than others in?

Thanks!

If i end up going with a Miller because of the weight issue I am going to get an all black shield to. The way I see it well yeah 40-50 dolalrs more is a big deal I guess to me for the fancy art work. I feel the fancy art work isn't going to make me a better welder plus it will end up getting burned off eventually.

The reason I never bought a shield with the controls on the outside is when I was in school I was told not to get this type because some people were A**holes and while you were welding they would turn the knob and you would get blinded that is the reason I went with the controls inside.

Chris

Comment

wile i think bumping the controles on the outside is more commenly a problem then aome one being ajerk, its still a concern.
                    as for the areas of it being weeker ? as i understand it the Optrel goes lower in shade than the BWE dose, that could be a + in low amp TIG but i would think you would need to be prity low to realy need it. i have used my BWE in the off state for plasma cutting and O/A so i guess it would be better for that but even an 8 would be dark in IMO so again the off state suited me better.
                    beond that i realy cant make a comparesen as the BWE is the first auto hood i have used. i got it 5+ years ago and have had no reason to switch or get another one. its worked great for me inside and out with MIG and recently with TIG as well.i have have no complaints with it, and now it has an auto on and grinde feature i did not get. so i would have to say its even better now.
                    as for the paint job and it being a tool, yea i guess you always regreat the first scrach on a new tool but its like that even with a plain black or blue tool. after the first scrach they all just become tools, although you eather take car of them or you dont, nothing is new for ever, but well cared for the scraches wont matter it will still get the job done...... ....OK so the wife said i could have the cool paint job.

i realy cant see you being unhappy with the BWE, i just dont have any complaints with mine.
                    thanks for the help
                    ......or..........
                    hope i helped
                    sigpic
                    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                    JAMES

Comment

FWIW; the paint on mine has some scraches but still looks verry cool.
                      i was suprised it did not just chip and flafe off with all the bending and droping but its held up well.
                      thanks for the help
                      ......or..........
                      hope i helped
                      sigpic
                      JAMES

Comment

Okay, a few things...

I like the controls on the outside. Even though I don't make changes in the middle of welding, it may be helpful someday when I start a weld and find it too light or too dark. No need to take it off and adjust it and then put it back on and start over. In my case, I don't often have others around when I weld, so I don't have to worry about people messing with me. And I have never had a problem with the controls getting bumped on my Optrel or my $49.99 HF special.

I like a good looking hood, but I'm not in an industrial setting where everybody's a weldor. I have my hood hanging on a hook above my welding bench and at least a couple times, it's gotten me work. Somebody comes into the garage and sees it hanging on the wall and says, oh nice welding helmet. Conversation starts. I end up with something to weld. And, well, being involved in racing, I see some really cool helmet paint schemes, so I may eventually add some color to my hood.

As far as tools vs. display pieces, every year before the race season starts, many of the local cars are in a car show at the mall. They're taken care of until they get banged up. After that, it's just there to go fast.

Just my thoughts.

Dave

Comment

9002X

No regrets. Over 1 year life on a set of batteries. As I TIG 75% of my time now, I just can't be bothered flipping a helmet in most spaces I find myself in(process piping) It's just a new world being able to see throughout multiple starts while keeping your filler and torch in position.

I'll never knock a vanilla Jackson though. The Speedglas costs way too much to have drop when I'm at great heights. It's a love/hate thing sometimes.

Comment

I like the BWE. I have the black one as I could not see the paint adding anything. I've had some trouble with it but that turned out to be user error. It has and contiues to serve me well.
                            [B]Trail Blazer 302
                            Suitcase X-TREME 12VS
                            Syncrowave 180SD
                            Coolmate 4
                            Millermatic 175
                            Millermatic 251
                            HT Powermax 180
                            Victor O/A
                            DeWalt DW872 Chop Saw
                            Lathe
                            Milling Machine
                            Bandsaw
                            No matter how hard I try, I always hear about the other guy who can do it better, faster and cheaper. Sure would like to meet him someday but no one seems to be able to find him when I ask. [B]

Comment

i have a jackson that has a #12 shade in it. i like the wight of it but the head gear needs some work. it falls off my head right when im bout to strike an arc. i also have the EQC lens for it but i dont use it vary much becauseits tempramental some times i get flased and others its to dark to see what im doing.
                              weld to live live to ride

Comment

I have used a Miller BWE since I first bought a welder, around the time I joined these forums.

I love the helmet, it has worked flawless. The four sensor design with two sensors slightly offset from the other two sold me. I have not have an issue with the helmet not darkening even when welding off to the side, or at some odd angle. They tell me that is because of the 4 sensors and their positioning.

Comment

Working...
                                X