Coolant for a tig welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pics

acwd1950 can you post some pics of your home made chiller? Interested to see what it looks like.
    Jay

Millermatic DVI
    Millermatic DVI2
    Dynasty 200dx
    Trailblazer 250g 96
    Trailblazer 250g 95
    Trailblazer 250g 96
    AEAD200LE
    XMT 300
    Spectrum 375
    Spectrum 375 extreme
    Spoolmate 3035
    S-21E Wire feeder
    XMT 300
    HF251d-1
    Maxstar 140 str
    American flag XLIx
    29' roadster Big Window Elite
    Inferno Big Window Elite
    Miller inferno digital elite helmet converted to 29' roadster helmet

LN25 ( got it on a steal)

Studebaker Marshall 700hp

Comment

If you are looking for ideas here is a picture of the one I made a few years back with the latest update being the blue paint and a antique Miller logo.

Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
      Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
      Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
      Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

show off.
        just kidding, thats a great looking cooler i hope mine comes out 1/4 as nice. but i dought it.
        thanks for the help
        ......or..........
        hope i helped
        sigpic
        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
        JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
          show off.
          just kidding, thats a great looking cooler i hope mine comes out 1/4 as nice. but i dought it.
          I'm gonna bet it's going to be just as nice judging by the aluminum cart you made.
          Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
          Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
          Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
          Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

i'll do my best on it, i got a cool can for the tank. just need time and a few more parts.
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

sweet

That chiller looks sweet. I hope it functions as well as it looks!
              Jay

Millermatic DVI
              Millermatic DVI2
              Dynasty 200dx
              Trailblazer 250g 96
              Trailblazer 250g 95
              Trailblazer 250g 96
              AEAD200LE
              XMT 300
              Spectrum 375
              Spectrum 375 extreme
              Spoolmate 3035
              S-21E Wire feeder
              XMT 300
              HF251d-1
              Maxstar 140 str
              American flag XLIx
              29' roadster Big Window Elite
              Inferno Big Window Elite
              Miller inferno digital elite helmet converted to 29' roadster helmet

LN25 ( got it on a steal)

Studebaker Marshall 700hp

Comment

Miller ServiceDude,

You stated "The most important thing about the coolant for Tig is that it is not conductive, if it is it will rob HF away from getting to the end of the torch. RV coolant is conductive. Automotive anti-freeze is not only conductive but the additives in it will attack copper. Everything in a tig system is copper. If you do not have to worry about freezing temps just use distilled water, if you are to worry about freezing temps you should really use a low conductivity coolant, just make sure it it designed for Tig. Copper safe and not conductive !"

First, can we make the distinction that 'low conductivity' and 'non-conductive'? are two separate categories? Second, chiller manufacturers recommend using a branded coolant because it contains special lubricants to enhance pump life and algaecides to prevent algae but the Miller coolant cannot be found on the website so we don't know what is in it. Third, there is an internet full of reasons NOT to use deionized water in any system that contains metal because the DI water will leach ions from whatever it touches.

Can we please put the argument to bed???

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by JCFab View Post
                  Miller ServiceDude,

You stated "The most important thing about the coolant for Tig is that it is not conductive, if it is it will rob HF away from getting to the end of the torch. RV coolant is conductive. Automotive anti-freeze is not only conductive but the additives in it will attack copper. Everything in a tig system is copper. If you do not have to worry about freezing temps just use distilled water, if you are to worry about freezing temps you should really use a low conductivity coolant, just make sure it it designed for Tig. Copper safe and not conductive !"

First, can we make the distinction that 'low conductivity' and 'non-conductive'? are two separate categories? Second, chiller manufacturers recommend using a branded coolant because it contains special lubricants to enhance pump life and algaecides to prevent algae but the Miller coolant cannot be found on the website so we don't know what is in it. Third, there is an internet full of reasons NOT to use deionized water in any system that contains metal because the DI water will leach ions from whatever it touches.

Jeff
                  Evidently not

You do realize the post before yours was 14 years ago, right?

The coolant actually IS on the website, but I don't see the ingredients listed.

https://www.millerwelds.com/accessor...coolant-043810

I used the Miller part number and searched for the MSDS and got a hit on Grainger's site....I think this is likely it considering Miller isn'g going to make it themselves.

http://complyplus.grainger.com/grain...heetid=4016489
                  Last edited by G-ManBart; 07-18-2021, 07:23 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=G-ManBart;n616077]

Evidently not

I do!
                    I finally pulled the trigger and bought a chiller. Decided to check into the magic juice for it. There is so much conflicting information, distilled vs. DI, Ethylene Glycol vs. Polyethylene Glycol.etc.

At this point I conclude that automotive anti-freeze = BAD (for the stop leak additives). D.I. water also = BAD (it's missing an electron to make it stable).

I think I need to salute the folks who settled on distilled water and some glycol home brew!

Thanks for the SDS!!!

Jeff

Comment

[QUOTE=JCFab;n616080]
                      Originally posted by G-ManBart View Post

Evidently not

I do!
                      I finally pulled the trigger and bought a chiller. Decided to check into the magic juice for it. There is so much conflicting information, distilled vs. DI, Ethylene Glycol vs. Polyethylene Glycol.etc.

At this point I conclude that automotive anti-freeze = BAD (for the stop leak additives). D.I. water also = BAD (it's missing an electron to make it stable).

I think I need to salute the folks who settled on distilled water and some glycol home brew!

Thanks for the SDS!!!

Jeff
                      I've been using a 50/50 mix of distilled water and this Cantesco stuff off Amazon. It's good for roughly -16F which is more than enough even if my power goes out in the dead of winter.

https://www.amazon.com/CANTESCO-CF3-...6706188&sr=8-2

Comment

Originally posted by JCFab View Post

Jeff
                        That argument was put to bed, until you woke it up 14 years later.

Comment

Working...
                        X