Under cut and no Fusion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by weldone
    Well if you pipe weld I'am sure you have either used or at least seen an orbital welder. I belive it uses gmaw / gtaw processes.(on thick sections)Actually everything I've come across can be miged...what it boiled down to was the perfered/reccomemed method

I mean whats is the difference between a 70 ER-S 0.35 DIA and 70ER-S 0.32
    or a 5/32 7018 vs 1/8
    And by the way I love to stick weld too
    ER70s6 doesn't penetrate enoguh for heavy metal, thus why it isn't recommend for anything over 3/8" unless in spray transfer mode. It's strong, but not strong enough for thick stuff. If you've been lucky with it on big stuff you'll learn....one day....maybe the hard way. Dave

Comment

Originally posted by turbo38t View Post
      ER70s6 doesn't penetrate enoguh for heavy metal, thus why it isn't recommend for anything over 3/8" unless in spray transfer mode. It's strong, but not strong enough for thick stuff. If you've been lucky with it on big stuff you'll learn....one day....maybe the hard way. Dave
      Oh really.For your info I was using 70ER-s as an example.CAN you prove what you said? Show us some tech.Where it's not recommened for over 3/8''

Second for your info...I use 70 MC-6 ON A DAILY BASIS 0.45 DIA ON METAL THICKNESSES from about 3/16- 3-1/2''. And typically no diff in the wire so what is your point.
      ONE is S-solid
      ONE IS MC-Metal Core. Try thinking outside the box before you speak in critisizm.

Dave.

And when it comes to welding it aint about luck...Either you got skills or YOU dont.

Comment

cold lap

Dont look like he burnt through the black paint on the hook, if they would of tryed to weld it instead of filled the crack I guess it would of been a easy task for a MIG. Weldone is right we want the written proof on 70s-6 an7018,an forbidden for use on 3/8an up ,your pretty good if you get 100 % penetration on 3/4in with a 1/4 7018, without v grooveing it out. I ve been welding on blenders that have 10tons plus bounceing around them an its all migged but the caster stands as they want 3 rods -welds on each side , and none of my migs have failed running 70s-6 an co2. An im far from the best so it can be done .

Comment

Originally posted by weldone
          Well if you pipe weld I'am sure you have either used or at least seen an orbital welder. I belive it uses gmaw / gtaw processes.(on thick sections)
          Has nothing to do with this conversation, but the ones I've seen are TIG with a cold wire feeder.

Back to this converation, SAW is essentially MIG and they use that to make highway girders -- so I agree with you I s'pose. MIG will do the job, almost any job, with the right machine in the right hands.

And to the OP, if those are welds, for the second time you need to do some prep before welding stuff like that and what it looks like is an attempt at MIG welding a thick round object (a spring?) to a relatively thin steel plate. If you're not pretty well expert at that, you might want to start on something less of a challenge at first -- that can be hard to do. Have fun with it but stay safe and don't make a road hazard.

Also, if it is a spring, the heat from welding will change it in ways you don't want it changed. It won't be a spring anymore when you're done.

Comment

Well I guess you havent seen a orbital set up either.
            what it is....Basically a mig welder on fixed tracks used to weld grooves(mainly the root) faster and better than manual resulting in little to no re-work.On a consistent basis.
            So yes it belongs in this conversation.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by weldone View Post
              Well I guess you havent seen a orbital set up either.
              You're right, I haven't seen that type.

I have seen TIG with cold wire do pipe and tube sheets and a friction welder do orbital on pipe. Also seen TIG with cold wire do internal bores. Never saw a MIG process -- makes sense -- what brand equip so I can take a look?

Learn something new every day.

Comment

Poor gun angle. Pretend the "round part" is in that cavern under the weld and look at the angle of gun position. Looks like drag technique, cold lap, too fast travel speed, cold start. It happens in a hurry with high voltages/feed rates.

Comment

diddo, bad technique and crappy prep.

BTW, SAW is NOT the same as mig, the wire may be simiilar in chemistry, and they can use the same power source, but thats about it, saw used an externally added flux, mig doesn't use flux, you can use all the different type of currents and polarities with saw, but not mig, saw doesn't use shielding gas mig does, i could go on but i think i made my point.

in terms of mig and the thk. limits, well it depends, with short circuiting mig you're limited to 1.1times the thickness of the coupon you qualified on (code talk here) for test coupons under 1/2thick. but cold lapping (lack of fusion) is a big issues with mig because it lacks the pushing power that something like stick welding does, and is why cold lapping becomes an issue with poor technique, and ideally why wouldn't you be using fluxcore to fill the remaining weld, as its quicker, no cold lapping issues like what mig does.

Comment

So why is a D1:1 Fillet test for GMAW,GTAW,SMAW, what ever done on 1/2 inch for 'unlimited thickness' Qualification ???? Cold lap is all about operator error, not the process being used. enough said, About the photo technique, back the camera up so it will be in focus, then crop the final image for better magnification, and use a little more light to better high light the problem. And how much penetration is needed to actually bond two pieces together the strongest?, .062, .125, .500??? Weld metal dilution, heat effected zone and all that good stuff. Gimme a Thermit weld any day, now thats penetration.....Paul
                    More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

Same old BS

GMAW FCAW SAW GTAW
                      solid wire or tubular wire
                      automatic or manual

Wire fed welding is still welding

I laugh at all the bs wasted here arguing about process names and the abilities of each.

Some of you have vast experience, have seen many different variations of the same old "MIG".
                      Some of you have apparently worked for a long time with blinders on working one process all day and anything different threatens you. You argue about the capacity of the process you know with the setup you know with no understanding of the machine you use every day.

Some foreman told you a wives tale 20 years ago and now you pass it on like it came down from god. Gosh that sounds like something that happened 2000 years a go.

This bs about mig not good for any thing over X thickness get real.

This is something you picked up from the inside cover of a pocket mig.

Welding is welding
                      1. develop a puddle
                      2. add filler or not
                      3. continue as needed

In the op's pictures it ts clear that if the welder developed a puddle he did not continue the puddle as needed.
                      Or the two materials were different enough that the filler material was not capable of creating the bond needed. As the pictures are so crappy I can't tell for sure, my money is on poor welding abilities.

Remember guys the box is getting bigger every day. I would bet in a few years the AWS will address things like duelshield that neither fits into the GMAW nor FCAW, yet they both were developed from GMAW, we will see a general process of wire fed electrode with a prefix/suffix of shielding and another prefix/suffix for manual or automatic or semi automatic.

Oh wait they already did this its called the STANDARD WELDING TERMS AND DEFINITIONS gosh how clever of them.

And last: it is your mind that is limited more so than the welding process.

My statements are not directed to any one individual, but at a way of thinking . If you see your self in my statements take a moment and reflect before you flame me.

start the hate mail now....go

TJ
                      TJ______________________________________

Comment

its hard to follow what happend. for all we know it was done with O/A a #4 tip and the person tthat did it didnt get enough heat into the round stock but got a weld pool from all three and lost the heat later on in the weld. i know because i did it once at school. never did it agine though.
                        weld to live live to ride

Comment

Working...
                        X