Cheap n easy n acurate temp indication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap n easy n acurate temp indication

Many people do not know to get an acurate temp measurement of any thing with out using the fish tank thermometer. USE K type thermocouples. The yellow ones. I have made many hundreds of them myself so I've been there and done that. K type thermocouple use two wires that are joined together. Chrome and Alum. The two wires can be welded, crimped, or jamed together. The two wires produce a voltage that determines the temp. This votage is in milivolts (MV). I use a cheap HF meter that allows me to plug in a thermocoupe. The web can tell what MV to expect. Thermocouples can be very expensive depending how they are made and how much they want for them. To make thermocouple you will need K type wire and ends to plug into your meter. The range on a K thermocouple is about -450 to +2500 degrees F. Lee
    Think Alot
    Learn Alot
    Read Alot
    And Then Do It Again & Again

Yep, you surely can. Thermocouple wire can be bought in small spools, too. Some of the electronic surplus houses carry the wire and connectors.

Your Friend,

Joe

Originally posted by leeschaumberg
    Many people do not know to get an acurate temp measurement of any thing with out using the fish tank thermometer. USE K type thermocouples. The yellow ones. I have made many hundreds of them myself so I've been there and done that. K type thermocouple use two wires that are joined together. Chrome and Alum. The two wires can be welded, crimped, or jamed together. The two wires produce a voltage that determines the temp. This votage is in milivolts (MV). I use a cheap HF meter that allows me to plug in a thermocoupe. The web can tell what MV to expect. Thermocouples can be very expensive depending how they are made and how much they want for them. To make thermocouple you will need K type wire and ends to plug into your meter. The range on a K thermocouple is about -450 to +2500 degrees F. Lee

Comment

Lee,
      How much are you paying for your type K's? We buy them from sensortec for about $40.00 each with different lenth probes, open and close tip.

Normally they are only good for about +/- 5 degrees over the entire range, if there is anything super accurate we calibrate them for a narrow temp range.

Most of our development engines have between 30-110 on them, I can probably get you handfulls of used ones.

-Aaron
      "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
      Miller Dynasty 200DX
      Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
      Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
      Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Comment

Does the length of the wire matter or is it just the type of thermocouple? We had this debate over EGT probes. Can you cut them to length?
        Matt
        Matt Adams A&P, IA
        Trailblazer 302
        Dialarc HF

Comment

Thermocouple Cost

All of the tcs that I use are made by me so the cost is low. Keep in mind you can make any kind you need including one to measure brake disk temp. Yes rotating devices can be coupled. The lenght of the tc wire does not make a differance but I have never gone around the world with one. Buying ready to use tcs vary in cost widely. So if you need to measure the temp on the number 7 cylinder you can put one in the exhaust stream next to the outlet. Reading the temp can be as simple as 1 input or a bar graph chart display over time for 8 million differant tcs. HaHa If your left foot is too warm or cold you can't mash the throttle as good. Some of the temps that I have looked at are - air temp , inlet air temp , coolant temp , oil temp , individual cyl temp , comon egt , back pocket temp by mistake , and any temp you may be interested in. Calibration is easy with temps below the melting temp of common metals. By the way water still frezes at 32 deg f or 0 deg c. If the tc is in the ice the temp does not vary widely. Your freezer can provide you with this temp.
          Lee
          Think Alot
          Learn Alot
          Read Alot
          And Then Do It Again & Again

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
            Does the length of the wire matter or is it just the type of thermocouple? We had this debate over EGT probes. Can you cut them to length?
            Matt
            Matt,
            usually the probes used for EGT are closed tip type K's with an Inconel sheath. They look like a flexible wire attached to a solid rod, but its actually a small tube containing the wires, and they are spot welded at the tip. The tube is filled with a type of ceramic cement. They come in 1/16" and 1/8" diameters and various lengths for your particular application. Our 0-320 uses 1/16" x 4" with the tip in the center of the pipe, 3 inches from the exhaust flange on each cylinder. As long as all the probes read within 5 degrees when calibrating them you will be fine as the actual temp is irrevelant within reason.

-Aaron
            "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
            Miller Dynasty 200DX
            Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
            Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
            Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Comment

Working...
            X