X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big_Eddy
    replied
    Thanks to all

Thanks to all who commented - I ended up finding a 120V 20Amp cord end socket that is designed to fit a 20Amp style plug only (i.e. a normal 120V plug won't plug into it unlike most 20AMP wall sockets that accept both) and I have no other equipment anywhere with that plug - so I went ahead and made a 15' 10/3 extension cord with a 6-50P on the other end and wired in a dedicated circuit with the same.

That way I didn't have to cut the plug off, I can still plug it into a 20 AMP 120V socket at my buddies, and I'm not in danger of my kid plugging the chop saw into a 220V outlet. I also cable tied the end of the extension to the welder cart and added a caution 220V label to the tiewraps. Now - when I upgrade my 120V MIG to a 220V unit- I already have the 6-50 installed.

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    Originally posted by Sundown View Post
    I made an adapter for my STH (when I owned it), ....
    Well, since I bought it from you, I guess I can't go and say that I made an adapter for mine now, could I?

I like having a 15A 120Vplug on the machine. I actually cut off the factory 20A plug and replaced it with the 15A version so I really can plug it in anywhere. Then I have the adapter that George made so I could plug it into 240V power whenever available. I had the same set-up on my Spectrum 375 plasma.

My Passport has the multi-voltage plug set-up standard, but I'm not a real fan of it. It's easier and cheaper to do it yourself.

Leave a comment:

• Sundown
    replied
    Originally posted by Sberry
    Personally I would rather have a 230 plug on the machine and adapt the other way on the rare occasion I need it and it cant be misused.
    Couldn't somebody take your adapter pigtail, plug it into 120V recpt, and plug a 220V only saw, or HH187, or something else into it ... wouldn't be much of a problem, but it would be misused! ... Sorry, I couldn't resist ~~ ~~

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    Personally I would rather have a 230 plug on the machine and adapt the other way on the rare occasion I need it and it cant be misused.

Leave a comment:

• phaxtris
    replied
    i made an adapter to go from the plug to the 220, its only about 4 ft long and stays with the maxstar, unplugged when not in use

you would have to be pretty slow to plug a 110 item into the adapter

Leave a comment:

• Sundown
    replied
    I made an adapter for my STH (when I owned it), a 20A receptical, one foot of 10/3 SOOJ, and a 220V plug. One would not be able to plug a 15A 120V plug in it but better to keep it with the machine and label it "Only for use with the Maxstar" or something like that.

Leave a comment:

• trstek
    replied
    I know a guy that made up a special 220volt to 110 plug extension cord. All 110 volt plugs on the machines. He labeled the cord well, does not have anyone else in his shop. Don't recommend that choice.

Put 220 plug on the machine, make special extension cord with 110 wall plug, can't mix up then...

For the cost of the Miller dvi, almost makes more sense to do that...

Leave a comment:

• KB Fabrications
    replied
    Originally posted by Big_Eddy
    I have a Maxstar 150. It came with the standard Nema 5-20 plug for 110V use. I plan to install a dedicated 30AMP 220V circuit in my garage for it - my question is do I
    a) Cut the factory plug off and replace it?
    b) Make an adapter cable to accept the existing plug and plug into a 220V socket.
    c) Wire a Nema 5-20 Receptacle to my 30 amp 220V circuit

I want to be able to take my welder to another site and still use it on 110V if needed - so I am reluctant to cut off the factory plug.

I know that the welder can accept 110V and 220V but the idea of making a adapter that could allow someone to inadvertantly plug another 110V item into a 220V outlet makes me a bit nervous.

What does everyone else do? Is there a simple solution that my Miller dealer might have ready-made?

I did a quick search on adapter and plug - but nothing came up to address my question.
    I would vote for option one or two. If you wanted to spend around $100 you could have your local Miller repair facility order you up a DVI cord and plug set and install it for you (if you installed it you would void your warranty).

Leave a comment:

• Big_Eddy
    started a topic 220V for Maxstar 150

220V for Maxstar 150

I have a Maxstar 150. It came with the standard Nema 5-20 plug for 110V use. I plan to install a dedicated 30AMP 220V circuit in my garage for it - my question is do I
    a) Cut the factory plug off and replace it?
    b) Make an adapter cable to accept the existing plug and plug into a 220V socket.
    c) Wire a Nema 5-20 Receptacle to my 30 amp 220V circuit

I want to be able to take my welder to another site and still use it on 110V if needed - so I am reluctant to cut off the factory plug.

I know that the welder can accept 110V and 220V but the idea of making a adapter that could allow someone to inadvertantly plug another 110V item into a 220V outlet makes me a bit nervous.

What does everyone else do? Is there a simple solution that my Miller dealer might have ready-made?

I did a quick search on adapter and plug - but nothing came up to address my question.
Working...
X