Big Blue Air Pack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pile Buck View Post
    Enough of this blasphemy ! If you boys will follow this link, in just 30-minutes of reading you will be convinced there is no need for anything bigger than a 120-volt Mig!

http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/index.php?

Welp, to heII with the 350DX I was planning to get. In fact, it looks like I need to sell what I have and get a HH125EZ for my welding needs.
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Originally posted by KB Fabrications View Post
      Welp, to heII with the 350DX I was planning to get. In fact, it looks like I need to sell what I have and get a HH125EZ for my welding needs.
      Thanks Kevin, I knew if I kept at it, I would convince someone!

Comment

I know it's big bucks, I like the idea of a self contained unit. So I don't get the new bike this summer. I'd rather be making money any way. I have to be playing catch up for what I haven't made so far this year teaching.
        Always Have Fun.

Comment

trailblazer for sale

pilebuck has convinced me,and then kb put icing on cake

here is what im getting,just read attached testimomial

About a year ago I purchased a Ready Welder and only today have I had a chance to rig my truck up to use it. I installed a second battery and with a couple of cables I switch my batteries to produce 24 volts. Disconnecting my truck of course. I tried the welder today and I have only one thing to say – ‘That is the Goshdaingest welder I have ever used.’ When I pulled up to a repair job in a F150 Ford pickup and got my briefcase out, everybody stared. A few minutes later when I’m putting my briefcase back into the F150, with a smile on my face because I had just done a great welding job, the guys were still staring. I can hardly wait to use it to build my aluminum boat with my aluminum trailer. Love it!
          Attached Files

Comment

That is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
            Always Have Fun.

Comment

Rather than compare the Airpaks to a 300 amp TB, it would be better to compare the Airpak or AirVantage to the equivalent Big Blue 500 or the Vantage 500, and see how much you can get the equivalent compressed air for separately. Personally, I think you can get all the air you need for $2000, why spend the $8000 - $10,000 premium for an all-in-one package, which in the past anyway has developed a reputation as a high-maintenance item.

As far as the 120 volt MIGS, they are good as gap fillers . . . just stuff it in the gap and cap over it

Comment

Originally posted by stick man
                I see what you mean, this cyber welding gets better ever day
                quite agreed, there is a place for big welders, as well as small welders and even intermediate ones--- which is what I bought, and not just because I had more money than sense.

Logging is not as welder intense as the rock quarries and mines, but at least one logging company near here has a miller airpak behind thecab on their
                main service truck. (and a bobcat on their small service truck).

Folks beside the railroads do have uses for them.
                rvannatta
                www.vannattabros.com
                Miller Bobcat 225G
                Miller Big 40 ('79 gasser)<gone>
                Miller 375 Plasma cutter<gone>
                Lincoln Vantage 400
                Lincoln Pro-Cut 80

Comment

Originally posted by Pile Buck View Post
                  Enough of this blasphemy ! If you boys will follow this link, in just 30-minutes of reading you will be convinced there is no need for anything bigger than a 120-volt Mig!

http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/index.php?

He he he.....
                  Millermatic 180 DC,Miller Spoolmatic 3,Miller HF-251-D1 __ Lincoln Cobramatic/Cobramatic Gold
                  Millermatic 200 with pulse/spot/burnback panel DC ______Lincoln Idealarc Tig 300/300 AC/DC
                  Miller ECONO twin HF 150 AC/DC .____________________ Lincoln Idealarc R3R 300 DC
                  Miller Trailblazer 250G AC/DC (20hp. Onan) .____________ Lincoln Buzz box 225/125 AC/DC
                  O/A Harris, Purox, Victor, Torchweld (To many to list) .___AIRCO wire feeder

Comment

Originally posted by calweld View Post
                    Rather than compare the Airpaks to a 300 amp TB, it would be better to compare the Airpak or AirVantage to the equivalent Big Blue 500 or the Vantage 500, and see how much you can get the equivalent compressed air for separately. Personally, I think you can get all the air you need for $2000, why spend the $8000 - $10,000 premium for an all-in-one package, which in the past anyway has developed a reputation as a high-maintenance item.

As far as the 120 volt MIGS, they are good as gap fillers . . . just stuff it in the gap and cap over it
                    Sort of why we put an electric compressor on our Vantage. Saved $10k and we already had the compressor, but I think the Vantage folks are putting a screw compressor on the engine accessory drive which I wouldn't expect to have reliability problems.
                    rvannatta
                    www.vannattabros.com
                    Miller Bobcat 225G
                    Miller Big 40 ('79 gasser)<gone>
                    Miller 375 Plasma cutter<gone>
                    Lincoln Vantage 400
                    Lincoln Pro-Cut 80

Comment

American Bridge had 6 paks of 600A machines.

Comment

4/0 lead is right, big long pieces, all a guy could do to handle a piece. Everything they had was giant size.

Comment

I asked my friend about this and his reply was that the price difference for him, between a Vantage 500 and an AirVantage 500 was right around $6000. Plus, you really can't buy all the air he needs for $2000. They run both 500 amp machines air arcing with the one air supply and that would take two stand alone compressors. Plus as he says he doesn't have the footprint or the weight capacity to carry that much air compressor and this is on a Peterbilt. He also mentioned one (or two) less engine(s) to fuel, maintain and start on cold mornings. I haven't heard of any reliability problems on the AirVantages. They use, I believe, the Vmac screw compressor which has a pretty good reputation. I know Pile Drivers who run them on their welding rigs (powered by the truck engine) and those things will run flat out all day every day.
                          I know the old Airpaks had some reliability problems but the new ones are a different system and I'm not sure how they are holding up.
                          A few factors to consider.

JTMcC.
                          Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Granted, but your friend is in a little different class than the rest of us. Myself, being an owner/operator, it's all I can do to run one machine, plus many times I'm just running the compressor by itself, I'd rather wear out a $2000 compressor than a $18,000 welder/compressor . . . I know, that's really not a fair comparision . . but still, my $2000 Champion will likely last 10 years, if and when it wears out I can replace or rebuild it, and probably still be money ahead.

Comment

Granted, but your friend is in a little different class than the rest of us. Myself, being an owner/operator, it's all I can do to run one machine, plus many times I'm just running the compressor by itself, I'd rather wear out a $2000 compressor than a $18,000 welder/compressor . . . I know, that's really not a fair comparision . . but still, my $2000 Champion will likely last 10 years, if and when it wears out I can replace or rebuild it, and probably still be money ahead.

Why is that? he's an owner operator, with one employee.
                              Like you said, not a fair comparison as he can't get by with one $2000 compressor and the weight difference between the Vantage 500 and the Airvantage 500 is nothing compared to a large air compressor (or two). Plus, like most people I know , his truck is at max weight as it is (around 33,000 lbs if I remember right. He pulls a trailer with anothwet 12,000 lbs. of line boring equipment.
                              Point is, there is a place for the AirVantage (or AirPak), maybe not for you, or me, but the need is there.

JTMcC.
                              Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Oh, I'm not disputing the fact that there is a need, and from what you've said about your friend in the past it sounds like it works very well for him. Me, I still find myself building gates on occasion ( I know, apparently there's those who look down on that judging by another thread here ) and the airpak or equivalent would probably be a little overkill. Of course, even the Commander 500s are a little overkill for gate building

Comment

Working...
                                X