Big Blue Air Pack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Blue Air Pack

Any one running one of these. If so are ya happy with it. Been thinking about getting one then builing a trailer for it. I'll keep the 302G in the truck, and pull this behind. If I get the job, I'll be cookin 1/2" carbons on a regular basis. The compressor would be very nice to have.
    Always Have Fun.

You can buy 3 Trail blazer 302 and 3 ingersorand compressors with honda motors for the price of one Air pack.

To me those air packs are for the purchasing agents of big companies that dont know anything about welding and have a big check book.

Theres very little that the air pack can do that the Trail blazer cant do.

Theres only about 1% of the time when I say to my self I could use a bigger carbon or that I need more power when mig welding.
    Not that I need the more power but if it were there I might use it.

Comment

depends on what your going to due, we had a couple trucks set up with them in the strip mines, they did a real job, ares were 98 or 99 models both had over 3000hrs on them with no major problems. execpt in real hot weather they had a habit of wanting to shut down. we gouged with 3/8 carbons and ran alot of 3/32 dualsheild for 12 to 14hrs a day. so they earned their keep, I think the compressor is separte from the gen now days ares 1cyl was for the compressor, personal i think thats why they got hot, cause we never had any problems out of the 55D's shuting down running right beside the air packs. sorry for rambling hope this info helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
        You can buy 3 Trail blazer 302 and 3 ingersorand compressors with honda motors for the price of one Air pack.

To me those air packs are for the purchasing agents of big companies that dont know anything about welding and have a big check book.

Theres very little that the air pack can do that the Trail blazer cant do.

Theres only about 1% of the time when I say to my self I could use a bigger carbon or that I need more power when mig welding.
        Not that I need the more power but if it were there I might use it.

Good grief, you're comparing a lawn mower type, air cooled two cylinder 20 horse engine driven machine to an industrial 60 - 70 horse 500 - 600 amp welding machine???

Man there is a reason 500 and 600 amp machines are manufactured, the same reason 4/0 welding lead is made. I've worked around too many people running those AirPaks and Lincoln SAE-600's and SAM-400's full tilt, often two 12 hour shifts per day to even think about a Trailblazer filling those shoes. They do this on heavy equipment, in mines, and on construction sites every day. people don't pay $20,000 for a 500 amp machine where a Trailblazer will do the job. They pay $20,000 because they work those things long and hard at high amperage and high duty cycles.
        Watch them guys run .120 NS-3M wire at 500 - 600 amps, two shifts, on shovels, or dozers. Then tell me a Trailblaser would survive 30 minutes of the abuse those guys pump out. I've watched them run 600 amp machines flat out gouging for a week, then run .120 wire at 600 amps flat out welding for a week. Putting a liner in a haul truck. Big time production and they use big time welding machines.
        I don't do that in my world, you evidently don't do that in your world, but don't deny that there are applications where people run major league loads on really big machines around the clock.

JTMcC.
        Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Originally posted by JTMcC
          Good grief, you're comparing a lawn mower type, air cooled two cylinder 20 horse engine driven machine to an industrial 60 - 70 horse 500 - 600 amp welding machine???

Man there is a reason 500 and 600 amp machines are manufactured, the same reason 4/0 welding lead is made. I've worked around too many people running those AirPaks and Lincoln SAE-600's and SAM-400's full tilt, often two 12 hour shifts per day to even think about a Trailblazer filling those shoes. They do this on heavy equipment, in mines, and on construction sites every day. people don't pay $20,000 for a 500 amp machine where a Trailblazer will do the job. They pay $20,000 because they work those things long and hard at high amperage and high duty cycles.
          Watch them guys run .120 NS-3M wire at 500 - 600 amps, two shifts, on shovels, or dozers. Then tell me a Trailblaser would survive 30 minutes of the abuse those guys pump out. I've watched them run 600 amp machines flat out gouging for a week, then run .120 wire at 600 amps flat out welding for a week. Putting a liner in a haul truck. Big time production and they use big time welding machines.
          I don't do that in my world, you evidently don't do that in your world, but don't deny that there are applications where people run major league loads on really big machines around the clock.

JTMcC.
          BINGO you show up in stripjob country with a little welding machine and tell sombody you gonna work on equipment they gonna laugh you off the hill.

Comment

I have a Miller Airpak and a Lincoln Airvantage. If you want to get into big work that will kill most of those little machines either one is a good choice. I have not had any trouble with either of them. They are workhorses.

Comment

Originally posted by theweldor View Post
              I have a Miller Airpak and a Lincoln Airvantage. If you want to get into big work that will kill most of those little machines either one is a good choice. I have not had any trouble with either of them. They are workhorses.
              no doubt you set a 302 or 305 in a shovel bucket or a hual back dump, more tghan likly thats were it will stay if you try to run with the big boys.

Comment

Ok, I’m confused! Where do the 120-volt migs fall in line here?

Comment

Originally posted by Pile Buck View Post

right next to the lazer levels.

Comment

Mr. Pile Buck has commented several times that in his world he worked several years where the welding started at 400 amps, and went up from there.

You don't have to be Bechtel or Phelps Dodge to run big machines. I have a friend in a relativly small town who works on heavy equipment and has two Lincoln 500 amp machines on the truck, a Commander 500 and a AirVantage 500. They use those machines up to their capacity every week. I have another friend who is an equipment mechanic (in an even smaller town), not a welding business, but has an AirPak on the truck. Get one job for an excavation company, skinning say 4 dozers, and you've paid for that machine brand new. You can't quote that heavy work with small machines and get the work when there are competent guys running the large wires at high amperage.

Or say, a job splicing a good number of large falsework beams in Pile Bucks world, you can't compete there with smaller machines, you better have a crane or a good forklift, a big machine and a gang box full of wire.

I've never doubted that there is a good place for the Trailblazer size machines, but good grief, on the internet you'd swear that they were the ultimate be all and do all. I've been around the large welding world enuff to realize that's not even close to being true.

JTMcC.
                    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Wow I actually started a good thread. I would never use the 302 for the work that I wan't the Air Pack for. I know that it was never designed for that kind of abuse. And your right, if I showed up on this job with it only I would be run off. You don't take a poodle to a pit fight.
                      Always Have Fun.

Comment

when we use to go in the mines and gravel quarries to work the companys would have numerous service trucks set up with bobcats or trailblazers but when it came time to line a 789 or a hydr shovel they called the contractors with the big guns, you could due it with a trailblazer but the cown time of the haul truck would belly up the company, in stripmines that big machinery is what makes the money. no time to play with toy welders

Comment

Enough of this blasphemy ! If you boys will follow this link, in just 30-minutes of reading you will be convinced there is no need for anything bigger than a 120-volt Mig!

http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/index.php?

Comment

I have a funny story about the difference in the classes of machines.I have been running my 301s for a few years and hadnt used a large machine in a while.I bought my big blue 400 and had to break it in for 100 hours at over 200 amps,so I only used it for big wire or gouging.On the first large shank I had to do, I couldnt wait to run some 3/8 carbons,I got everything set up,set the machine where I thought would be good,walked over to the bucket,did a little test gouge and holy crap!I had forgotten how nice a big machine gouged.well it ran so good at that setting I just rolled it on and had the shank off in about 10 mins-the wrong shank! I was so happy with my new stuff I never stopped to double check before I started.My point is that there is a big difference between the class of machines.I would have bought an airpack but I have a compressor and the airpack is like $20,000.

Comment

Enough of this blasphemy ! If you boys will follow this link, in just 30-minutes of reading you will be convinced there is no need for anything bigger than a 120-volt Mig!

http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/index.php?

I see what you mean, this cyber welding gets better ever day

Comment

Working...
                              X