Grinder Discs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinder Discs

Thought it might be a good time to follow grinder rating with a few opinions on grinding discs as well. We have found lots of cheap ones out there but the old adage ya get what ya pay for kicks in & am usually dissappointed in the durabilty. Personally we use nothing but Walter discs & flapdiscs as well. Anxious to here your experiences.
    252 Miller Mig
    180 Synchrowave
    R - 45 Milling Machine
    Kingston 1100 Lathe
    Miller 2050 Plasma Cutter

for cut-off wheels... nothing but Walter Zip wheels, they're very much worth the money... it took me 16" of 3/8" plate to wear out 1 4.5" wheel. for 4.5" stones, it's either SAIT or walter.. neither seems to work better than the other. for flap wheels I usually use DeWalt.. best I've found for the money.

for my 7", the LWS has far less selection, pretty much flex-o-vit or SAIT. I've had no complaints at all about the SAIT cutoffs (which work amazing on B-deck) or the regular stones. I've got a flex-o-vit concrete cup too.. works well, but man what a heavy combo.
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

I also use the Walter stuff.

Comment

I also use walter, way better than sait for just a little bit more money. The walter XX is a fantastic aggressive wheel.
        hre

Comment

For aluminium my favorite is Norton's AVOS speed lock (blue) disks. If you use wax to prevent build-up they last a long time. The AVOS system is great because you can see through the disk to the work. I know it works on steel but I work mostly with aluminium.

Brian

Comment

i mainly use the walter disc's, i find they last longer than the cheap ones
            mm210
            maxstar 150

Comment

differences

One of the things to look at when picking up grinding discs is the amount of grinding material as opposed to the amount of filler that they use.....
              I took a couple of discs off our shelf and took a couple of pics. Picture one is a side by side comparison of two grinding discs. one disc sells for "about" $3.00 each (CDN) and disc two sells for "about" $5.19 ea.
              Keep in mind that these discs are the same rating A24-R
              the close up pics show that the 'grinding' medium is only about half of the 'cheap' disc...the rest of the disc is made up of filler material that will wear out by looking at it. once you have used up the first 1/8" of the disc, the rest goes away pretty quickly.
              I outlined the filler in Yellow on the closeup of disc one. (the pic is a bit blurry, but you get the idea.)

next time you're out disc shopping, take a look at the edge of the disc to see what you're getting.
              Attached Files

Comment

Yep, that for sure is a good point. That's one of the things I like about the Walters
                hre

Comment

wow i never looked at a grinding disk like that.
                  for flap disks the walters seem to last a lot longer than the others and the built in nut shore is nice for changing out, but wow the price tage can get you fast. about $9.50 each at my LWS. i got some off the net for about $2.40 each that worked well but had no nut and did use up faster. so for the daily use on the job site i think the walters could end up being a $$ saver in the long run. for playing at home in the shop out back the e-bay special is probly a better option. i can get a 10 pack for what 2 walters would be at my LWS so even with a shorter life span and needing to use my grinder nut its hard to justify the walter's at home, that being said i had some given to me and man they are nice. for the job market the walters would be my choice for home the e-bayers are fine. provided you get a quality one from e-bay, pionear makes a nice disk for home use. i'll pop a pic of the 2 side by side later on tonight or in the morning if i dont make it out tonight.
                  thanks for the help
                  ......or..........
                  hope i helped
                  sigpic
                  feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                  summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                  JAMES

Comment

i think i pay 3.50 through a local autoparts store wich i have an account with for the walters, i belive there regular price is only 4-4.50$ ea, vs buying the cheap-o's for 2.99$ reg price, and have them last half as long

you would be suprised what comes up at good autoparts store's, i just recently picked up over 90lbs of 7018 (hobart and air liquide) for about 80 cents a lb (cdn of course)
                    mm210
                    maxstar 150

Comment

im using radnor and they are junk,stoped at lws today and they checking to see if they can get walter,does anybody know any place online to purchase them.

Comment

Norton's "Norzon" line are the best abrasives available.

JTMcC.
                        Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Originally posted by JTMcC View Post
                          Norton's "Norzon" line are the best abrasives available.

JTMcC.
                          I second that.

Comment

I have some Nortons as backups, not sure what line they are, they're blue and black discs, work ok, no complaints, just not stocked by my LWS.
                            hre

Comment

Have to agree the flapdiscs are a little pricey but still the way they last compared to others ,still think they are worth it.I always run 2 grinders,1 with grinder disc & one with flapwheel. Some times get lazy though and ask a lot of the flapwheel, but if used only for the last blending they seem to hang in real well.
                              252 Miller Mig
                              180 Synchrowave
                              R - 45 Milling Machine
                              Kingston 1100 Lathe
                              Miller 2050 Plasma Cutter

Comment

Working...
                              X