MIG welding stainless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIG welding stainless

The two questions I have are whether I can use tri-mix on mild steel as well as stainless, and is there a better way than what I am planning.

I have a project that involves welding 18 guage stainless sheet - and I only have a MIG welder. I've done a little TIG stainless welding but never done MIG - and I no longer have access to a TIG welder.

I understand that I can use tri-mix and solid SS wire. My LWS says they are willing to swap my AR-CO2 cylinder for tri-mix but a full cylinder is way too much for this project. Maybe I'm being too cheap but I am trying to avoid buying another cylinder that will probably gather dust after I'm done.

My LWS guy said I could also use flux core, but I'd still need shielding gas. I neglected to ask him what kind of shielding gas - if AR/C02 would work then maybe this is the way to go.

What kind of welder do you have & what is the project & how nice does it have to look when your finished? I have used a 75/25 mix of argon co2 on stainless. Never used tri mix on mild steel because I've always had access to other bottles. It is not quite as good as a tri mix but it is acceptable. Having never done 18 gauge stainless with a mig I can't give you any pointers but that is very thin. Stainless warps up easily with heat so the less heat the better. If you can clamp it to something that helps also, or a backer bar to help absorb the heat.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Comment

Stainless projects

I was given a number of 4 x 8 sheets of stainless and am going to make some small cube containers for practice, and then an oven hood in the kitchen. Joints will have to look good so I am figuring on grinding them.

My MIG is a 110V and I have done a fair amount of welding on 20 guage mild steel.

Comment

Not gonna happen. 18 ga is around .050, SS warps like crazy. Anything below 10 ga is TIG territory, maybe 12-14 with pulsed MIG, and those little machines are not geared towards SS. Been there done that.

Comment

If you have to use the mig then I would bend flanges on the edges & just stitch weld it. If it is of the design that this is not possible then tig would be the way to. Very tight fit up & just fuse weld it. If it is for a nice kitchen then you need to be careful with the grinder as it can be difficult to get a nice even finish. How are you going to cut the pieces? Stuff like this needs very good clean edges. A shear & notcher are best for this. Try the cubes & you'll see what I'm talking about.
          MM250
          Trailblazer 250g
          22a feeder
          Lincoln ac/dc 225
          Victor O/A
          MM200 black face
          Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
          Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
          Arco roto-phase model M
          Vectrax 7x12 band saw
          Miller spectrum 875
          30a spoolgun w/wc-24