Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Are You Keepin' Yer Face From Freeezin' Off??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Are You Keepin' Yer Face From Freeezin' Off??

My son is a welder working outside in Neb. The wind chill is as much as -25 so far and many guys just stop and go home...but not him!
    I was just wondering (like any good dad would) what some of you guys in the colder climates like to use to keep warm and still be able to wear yer safety stuff and all??
    I'm thinkin' somebody ought to make some real cool mask that is perfect! Pics would be awsome!!

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Just a good hard hat liner and a big ole cowboy bandanna was all I ever used.
    I wear glasses so all those fancy face masks did was fog my glasses and make it hard to put dip of Copenhagen in.
    Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by J hall
      I wear glasses so all those fancy face masks did was fog my glasses and make it hard to put dip of Copenhagen in.
      Not only that, but then you'd have to swaller.
      Dynasty 350DX
      Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
      MM 350P
      MM Passport Plus
      Spectrum 375 Extreme
      08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

my Father used the caps that the old WWII pilots wear.. and he wears glasses
        it would come down over the ears and snap under the chin
        they were worm enuff that he would also were them hunting.
        as to where you could find one...I would guess you look at a army surpluss store. or try to look on the net
        I hope this helps

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by KB Fabrications View Post
          Not only that, but then you'd have to swaller.
          Kevin,
          I swallowed for 24 years, I thought it was just plain uncivilised to spit...But I gave up the habit two years ago and don't miss it at all
          My teeth are white, my breath don't stink, and no more cottage cheese lip!
          Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by J hall View Post
            Kevin,
            I swallowed for 24 years, I thought it was just plain uncivilised to spit...But I gave up the habit two years ago and don't miss it at all
            My teeth are white, my breath don't stink, and no more cottage cheese lip!
            Wow, that is a long time. Good to hear you quit. I chewed for a while, started back in my early teens when I would sneek chaws of my grandad's Redman. I tried it on and off again over the years but gave it up when I started having trouble picking up chicks. Never could get used to swallering though.
            Dynasty 350DX
            Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
            MM 350P
            MM Passport Plus
            Spectrum 375 Extreme
            08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

if it's really cold, it's usually lined *D*i*c*k*ies, light sweatshirt, one piece suit, and a heavy sweatshirt.. the heavy sweatshirt's hood is big enough to go over the top and sides of my welding mask... as for my face.. nothing more than facial hair... just knock the icicles off as neccessary. thankfully I've had mostly inside work this year..of course yesterday the wind was howling...~-20F wind chill and I'm outside welding a 3/4" plate onto an existing W16 beam in a almost impossible position.. yay.
              Bobcat 225NT
              Cutmaster 52
              Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
              Caterpillar TH63
              '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

when i have to work outside i wear one of those goofy touque/hat deals that covers your ears and goes real far down in the back with a really big neck warmer that i pull up over my chin that way from my mouth to my eyeballs is the only area exposed

when it gets really cold i have a tough duck work jacket thats hood is big enough to pull over my mask, but then there are some real issues with foggin up

this has served me well to -30, i dont ever work outside colder than -30 (without windchill)
                mm210
                maxstar 150

Comment

Originally posted by phaxtris
                  when i have to work outside i wear one of those goofy touque/hat deals that covers your ears and goes real far down in the back with a really big neck warmer that i pull up over my chin that way from my mouth to my eyeballs is the only area exposed

when it gets really cold i have a tough duck work jacket thats hood is big enough to pull over my mask, but then there are some real issues with foggin up

this has served me well to -30, i dont ever work outside colder than -30 (without windchill)
                  -30 your alot tougher than me I complain went it gets below 20 above dont see how you canadians do it.

Comment

you just have to get used to it, we just came out of a real cold spell, most mournings were between -42 and -48 with windchill, so cold that working in the shop i would wear 2 shirts, a hoodie and a jacket and still be cold, when you grabbed parts it was like you were taking them out of the fridge

-20 is pretty normal winter temps, cold but nothing to crazy

the worst was when i was in college (industrial welding) 6hrs further north, -52 with wind for 2 weeks straight, buisness as usual, nothing closes down, no one bats an eye, even did a bit of ice fishing during those weeks (large amounts of booze were consumed to cope, lol)
                    mm210
                    maxstar 150

Comment

Some materials like wool is worth its weight in gold. Cotton is ok, on the inside only, but it will let the wind through like it wasn't even there. Usually for the body, a few good layers inside with leathers outside has worked for me. A touque helps a lot, and is a must in teh colder temps. You start getting boots and touques with Thinsulate in them. My boots cost $350, but my feet are always warm and dry. Keep the feet and head ok, and most everything inbetween will be fine too
                      hre

Comment

I'd still love to come hunt your alls monster deer and grouse.but it looks like I'd freeze to death trying.

Comment

Originally posted by stick man
                          -30 your alot tougher than me I complain went it gets below 20 above dont see how you canadians do it.

im a little uncomfortable if temp is below 50.let alone -20

Comment

Originally posted by stick man View Post
                            I'd still love to come hunt your alls monster deer and grouse.but it looks like I'd freeze to death trying.
                            It costs quite a bit to come hunt up here if you're not a resident, just FYI. Not that that is a problem, but let me know if you're coming up so I can give you some prices to expect. It can be real rough on the fingers, bacause you don't want to wear big bulky cold weather mits, or heavy gloves on your trigger hand, but after 15minutes you can't feel you trigger hand if you don't where the big bulky gloves. That's why I only go hunting int eh fall. Once the weather gets cold, I'm done, I'll stick to welding where at least you make some heat
                            hre

Comment

Originally posted by Coalsmoke View Post
                              Some materials like wool is worth its weight in gold. Cotton is ok, on the inside only, but it will let the wind through like it wasn't even there. Usually for the body, a few good layers inside with leathers outside has worked for me. A touque helps a lot, and is a must in teh colder temps. You start getting boots and touques with Thinsulate in them. My boots cost $350, but my feet are always warm and dry. Keep the feet and head ok, and most everything inbetween will be fine too
                              Do you still have those orange survivor suits up there?

Comment

Working...
                              X