Electrode holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrode holder

hey guys, I was at a LWS looking at Electrode holders and he said something about a "Odell's" brandname holder. it was a copy of the Tweeco and only have the price. I cant remember the name namebrand exactly
    and I wanted to know what is the name brand & has anyone here on the board used them? and are they any good? it looks like a exact copy of the Tweeco. I would call the LWS but they are not open on Saturday.
    and I want to know what everyone here on the board thinks

Thanks for your help and opinion.

Richard

For most people an electrode holder is a rather unsophisticated piece of equipment, a guy holding one for the better part of a day every day likely has other opinions but like you said, costs half as much. You can buy them at box stores too. Its kind of like a 4 pound hammer in a hobby shop, is a pricey unit going to provide better results?

Comment

It's like Cary said, pretty much the same, 'cept I'll add some of those 'discount' units have crappy jaws and springs, nothing worse than a wibbely stringer.

Comment

richard,i have a 300 amp jackson on engine drive,but just bought some new cable for dialarc and got a 200 amp radnor,which is a rebranded tweco as your ? was.and for what its worth the radnor feels better,and i just like it better than the higher priced jackson.your lws very well could be correct on that brand being a tweco.hope this helps

Comment

It's only a stinger. Tweco is still good, just not as good as they used to be.
          China is junk, as is every other 3rd world country trying to copy a good product.
          I buy Tweco and Lenco, and keep an eye for where it came from.
          Jeff

Comment

Thanks guys for the input , I currently have A tweeco 200 amp A-532 and its getting lose...wont hold the 3/32 rod tight but the 1/8 rod is ok . and I was just looking at my options. for replacement

Thanks everyone for your help.

Comment

I buy Tweco style tong holders, cost me about $25 ea versus a Tweco for $45. I buy the 250A models and have run 300A through them on short duration fine They get warm but teh springs haven't melted out. I buy the fancy stuff on the bits and pieces that matter, but on the basic stuff, take SBerry's advice. Buy reasonable quality at a much reduced price. The jaws still wear out just the same betweent he pricey Tweco and these others I am using. I can get the namebrand if you would like
              hre

Comment

tongs

You have to have more then one tong, that way it last longer.I have a 150, 250 and 300 on my truck.It helps if you change up to higher heats. With that said there not made to last forever. I went to do some repair job at a ranch many years ago. The rancher bought out a cold case of beer so we had a few, got talking and he showed me a tong he made out of rebar. It had three bars kind of like a birds foot all taped up with #9 wire and then a bunch of duck tape over top of it as a hand hold You don't lay that one down just anywheres might get some arc strikes
                DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                PIPEPRO 304
                TO MANY TOOLS
                JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
                and easily upset
                go flames go

Comment

Iam lost

anybody got a pic of tong style youve lost the ky hillbillie.thanks

Comment

Plain old stingers like this.
                    Attached Files
                    Jeff

Comment

thanks JHall brain not working good this morning hey off the subject hows the phesant population looking out thier in SD. I love coming out their your guys country is awsome

Comment

They were doing real good, but we had some -20and -30f temps that I'm sure thinned them some. You'll have to come up and get some next fall.
                        Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by stick man View Post
                          thanks JHall brain not working good this morning hey off the subject hows the phesant population looking out thier in SD. I love coming out their your guys country is awsome
                          I went to the RapidCity(sp?) rodeo back a few years ago and did this meet and greet the fan thing at a western shop in Stergis It was getting ready for their biker deal and that Sturgis was not a very big town but I guess they get real busy with bikers would have liked to have gone to see all the sites
                          South Dakota was like out of a western movie and a very cool place seemed
                          like they took care of the state real well
                          DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                          PIPEPRO 304
                          TO MANY TOOLS
                          JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                          rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
                          and easily upset
                          go flames go

Comment

hoping to we usyally hunt in the mitchell area how close is that to you.

Comment

Dan, That must have been at J&S saddle and tack? They are good people .

Stickman, I'm about 150 miles from Mitchell
                              Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X