Some information needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some information needed

I have been researching band saws on this site and on the net and I am having a difficult time deciding what to purchase. The sawzall hand filing to get square cuts route is getting old. If you would list what type of band saw you have or have had and why you did or did not like it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Nick

Ive got an old dayton its slower than crap and its older than me but she still cuts straight as an arrow, for production type work with tubing or pipe I use a carbide tipped chop saw it works slick.

Comment

Thanks Stick Man!!

Comment

Take a look at the jet 56M, nice saw and not too much money, I sure like mine.
        Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
        Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
        Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
        Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Thanks George

Comment

I have got the small Jet like Goerge has and it is good little saw. I also have an Ellis 1600 that I like very much. The Ellis replaced a larger Jet 7 X 12 that a number of companies have. I personally hated that saw as it sat too low to the ground for me. I also disliked having to angle the vice to cut miters.
            Dynasty 350DX
            Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
            MM 350P
            MM Passport Plus
            Spectrum 375 Extreme
            08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Thanks Kevin

Comment

I have a small jet band saw I bought at the local big box home improvement store. It cuts straight, but is hard on blades. I don't get very many cuts before the blade breaks. I have gone through 2-3 blades a day sometimes. I've tried different speeds, different tensions on the blade, nothing seems to make a difference. They don't break on the welded seam, and I've tried different blade brands., so I don't think it's a blade quality problem. I've been considering buying a different unit.

Comment

Harbor Freight 4"x6", liked the price on that one, but anything to do with blades was a chore.

Grizzly G9742 4" x6", liked the vice/foot print/down-feed, but shared all the adjustment traits as HF 4"x6" all disliked.

Kama EV996, like the footprint/coolant/adjustments/speeds/kill switch/and more..
                  , but dislike.. err.. the fact I did not buy what I really wanted the first time.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I have the Ellis 1600 and it seemed kind of expensive. Until I used it a couple times
                    Jeff

Comment

Come buy my MSC saw so I can get a Ellis 1600.

Tobin
                      MM251
                      Miller Dialarc HF-P 310 Amp Tig
                      Victor O/A Setup
                      Lincolin 225Amp Buzzbox
                      Cummins Freak

Comment

Thanks again

Hey Pro, what is the model of the Jet that you are having so many problems with??
                        XRay, do you own a KAMA? I have never heard of this saw. Who sells them and what is the price?
                        Thanks,
                        Nick

Comment

Originally posted by KIWI View Post
                          XRay, do you own a KAMA? I have never heard of this saw. Who sells them and what is the price?
                          Thanks,
                          Nick
                          Yes, that attachment is a picture of it.
                          The saw is made in Italy and this place sells them here (USA). They have other resellers but this is the homepage .

http://www.kooltools.com/kama_bandsaws.html

That link also has current retail pricing.

Comment

Nick,

I've had the Jet HVBS56M for three years. For the money, is has been a great tool, as have my Jet woodworking tools, which were bought in 1990, and have manufactured a few dozen kitchen cabinets, a half-dozen mantles, a several pieces of furniture.

If budget is a problem, and time isn't, try to find on old-school "power hacksaw". Porte-Cable, Dayton, Delta, and a few others made them in the '60's and they cut true, they just cut slow!

I have never expereinced the blade problems on my Jet that the Z28 pro does. Proper tooth pitch, band tension, and guide adjustment give me months of use from one bi-metal Morse band.

Hank
                            ...from the Gadget Garage
                            Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
                            Handler 210 w/DP3035
                            TA185TSW
                            Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Hey Guys,
                              I have gotten lots of good information. So as it stands I am going to look into the Jet, KAMA and the power hacksaw. If anyone else has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated.
                              Thanks,
                              Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X