Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are you welding it with that process!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fat-Fab.com
    replied
    Originally posted by stick man View Post
    don't really know how to take that one,but regardless well let it go really don't have time or engery to get in pissing match.
    OK then we'er finished with all of this and we can all go on
    I admitted to being an insensitive slob and that you and weldingrod can sling mud
    lets get back to welding

Ill still post as I see fit and Ill try not to p*ss off the members you try not to take it personal

Deal?

Leave a comment:

• stick man
    replied
    Originally posted by Fat-Fab.com View Post
    Just trying to keep up with my fan mail glad I could help

Send a SASE (self addresed stamped envlope) and Ill return a signed photo.
    include $25.00 shipping and handling.
    don't really know how to take that one,but regardless well let it go really don't have time or engery to get in pissing match.

Leave a comment:

• Fat-Fab.com
    replied
    Originally posted by weldingrod View Post
    you way too sharp for us fat fab.
    You keep coming back for more?

Leave a comment:

• weld-tek
    replied
    You would not understand it. sorry

you way too sharp for us fat fab.

Leave a comment:

• Aerometalworker
    replied
    Im worried what the picture will be of

-Aaron

Leave a comment:

• Fat-Fab.com
    replied
    Originally posted by phaxtris View Post
    wooooow, someone is a little excited, ive never even heard of a PQR, mabye thats because i dont live in the all mighty US of A

instead of making posts trying to make other members look stupid why dont you just post up your 'PQR' for 4130
    You would not understand it. sorry

Leave a comment:

• Fat-Fab.com
    replied
    Originally posted by stick man
    well I guess you told me.
    Just trying to keep up with my fan mail glad I could help

Leave a comment:

• stick man
    replied
    None on 4130 steel. Two on stainless pipe and one on a 3" *** out of 150 to 200 welds not gerat I know but I kept the job as long as I wanted it.

TJ
    well I guess you told me.

Leave a comment:

• Fat-Fab.com
    replied
    Originally posted by stick man View Post
    I wonder how many x ray test hes passed on cromoly pipe. well I guess I just missed spelled that word. oh well last time I checked this was a board for welders not rocket sce******.
    None on 4130 steel. Two on stainless pipe and one on a 3" *** out of 150 to 200 welds not gerat I know but I kept the job as long as I wanted it.

TJ

Leave a comment:

• phaxtris
    replied
    wooooow, someone is a little excited, ive never even heard of a PQR, mabye thats because i dont live in the all mighty US of A

instead of making posts trying to make other members look stupid why dont you just post up your 'PQR' for 4130

Leave a comment:

• Billet Benny
    replied
    I got the MYTH thing from this poster

Billet Benny
    Senior Member Join Date: Jun 2005

Wow, for the record, there's more myths than facts in this thread.

TJ
    Yes, I said that. If you search lots of my old posts you will find the things/ideas I don't subscribe to. I have gotten somewhat tired of typing the same info over and over in threads about 4130, tube, and the like. It's all here somewhere under the bigger threads discussing the topic. Now if someone comes with an old quote of mine or a spin off question looking for an explanation I'd be more than happy to elaborate on the issue at hand.

You will find I will tend to agree with anyone that can produce sound reasons for their methods as I believe there are many methods for every application. However, there are also methods that aren't obviously the best if a little research is performed. I do have strong opinions, but it is based on my knowledge, experience, applications, and experiences. No, I am not the know-all of everything, but I belive I do have areas of expertise.

One of the best threads on this board began with 'ol Matt looking for suggestions on his automated method with his Dynasty for welding threaded bungs into tubing. I gave him some input and explained what I didn't agree with per se. He came right back with sound reasonings for his method and I could only agree with him. Sound reasoning wins everytime whether it fits my method or not.

As for members saying welding 4130 with oxy/fuel isn't acceptable, well I just don't know what to say. Also, I often see the misconceptions about haz sizes with each process. This was another comment in the thread this thread is stemming from.

One last thing for Fat-Fab. 4130 never reaches 100ksi + in a stress relieved condition. It reaches this in a hardened or hardened and tempered condition. Stress relieving is a type of annealing which increases ductility, reduces built in stresses, and decreases hardness and yield strength. There are multiple types of annealing such as bright, full, stress relief, etc. A yield strength number of 90,000 psi is 4130 in something resembling a normalized condition (although 90ksi is pretty generous). If you use it in the annealed condition it is much less than this and you can often get 4130 in an annealed condition. It is also commonly produced and purchased in the normalized condition. Just nit-picking

Leave a comment:

• Pile Buck
    replied
    Originally posted by Clay Walters View Post
    Until this thread I'd never heard of a PQR, don't have one and don't intend to get one.Clay
    FYI Clay if you ever find that you do need one, there are plenty of us on these boards that have PQR’s, WPS,s. If I have the one, or even close, I have no problem scanning it, then posting. Seems as I just did this not to long ago for someone looking for a WPS for welding re-bar.

Leave a comment:

• Fat-Fab.com
    replied
    Originally posted by Clay Walters View Post
    Well, I've read your posts in just this thread and cannot say if you are usually helpful or not so please understand this observation is based entirely on the information in this thread.

I understand just enough of what you are saying to appreciate your intentions too. But do you realize you could have just provided the information ( or a good bit of it ) in the same space as your diatribes above?

Until this thread I'd never heard of a PQR, don't have one and don't intend to get one. Now, could be that a thoughtful response might have included information about what a PQR is, where to get one, and how it would benefit anyone possessing one. I presume its some sort of reference.

Because I do like your point that most if not all processes are approved for chrome-moly steel it would have been nice if you would have just outlined the procedures for each one of those processes in lay terms for all of us to enjoy and other pros to critique if they found exception to your statements.

If you've already done so I failed to note it in the posts above. And being a newby I would have appreciated your personal information and insight so much more than just telling me to go to school or directing me to a reference manual.

Off the soapbox,

Clay
    Thank you Clay for pointing out where I went wrong in all of this.

I do tend to step in a lot of sh*t because of my mouth. I do almost have total recall of things I read so I end up sounding like the nerd with the pocket protector.

In answet to some of you questions PQR Procedure Qualification Record is the American Welding Society standard term for the Record that shows a weld made a certin way is ok to duplicate.
    Any welder that has certified to AWS standards has done so to an AWS PQR no way round it.

Every aircraft manufacture that welds 4130 has a PQR and I'll bet that while many might be simular no two will be the same. Google search 4130 steel and you will find many who claim to know what it is all about. In the end, if you want to know if something you intend on welding will work weld a sample and try to brake it then you'll know.

TJ
    again thanks Clay

Leave a comment:

• Aerometalworker
    replied
    Ok I was just curious.

Anytime you have a group like this, with people from different Industries, it can get confusing.

I make it my practice to only advise on what I have data to back up.

And realizing every application and Industry has found out through time what works best for them. Thats what makes the Forum useful, there is always someone here who is very versed on a particular application of welding, and we can go to them for advice.

Its been more then useful for me.

-Aaron

Leave a comment:

• Fat-Fab.com
    replied
    Originally posted by Aerometalworker View Post
    Thats why the government has standards and procedures for aircraft work. If we let every guy who thought they knew the best way to do something, it would be chaos.

I for one stick with engineering proven and time proven methods.

I would be curious as to exactly what "Myths" are being discussed here.

-Aaron

I got the MYTH thing from this poster

Billet Benny
    Senior Member Join Date: Jun 2005

Wow, for the record, there's more myths than facts in this thread.

TJ

Leave a comment:

Working...
X