Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are you welding it with that process!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fat-Fab.com View Post
    Just trying to keep up with my fan mail glad I could help

Send a SASE (self addresed stamped envlope) and Ill return a signed photo.
    include $25.00 shipping and handling.
    don't really know how to take that one,but regardless well let it go really don't have time or engery to get in pissing match.

Comment

Originally posted by stick man View Post
      don't really know how to take that one,but regardless well let it go really don't have time or engery to get in pissing match.
      OK then we'er finished with all of this and we can all go on
      I admitted to being an insensitive slob and that you and weldingrod can sling mud
      lets get back to welding

Ill still post as I see fit and Ill try not to p*ss off the members you try not to take it personal

Deal?
      TJ______________________________________

Comment

Originally posted by Fat-Fab.com View Post
        You would not understand it. sorry
        Geeze, must be a canuck thing eh

just a rhetorical question but how much 4130 does a welder in alaska get to weld?

Edit: oh wait, you probably dont know what rhetorical means
        mm210
        maxstar 150

Comment

Originally posted by phaxtris View Post
          Geeze, must be a canuck thing eh

just a rhetorical question but how much 4130 does a welder in alaska get to weld?

Edit: oh wait, you probably dont know what rhetorical means
          You might be suprised at the number of light aircraft in Alaska.
          I think Anchorage lays claim to the largest # of TO's and Landings at a seaplane port, Lake Hood.
          I don't weld as much here as I did in California all in all I have welded more al and stainless than 4130 and you are right I ignore rhetorical questions as they are mostly sarcastic (sp) but for you and the sake of ending the pounding I am getting I answered you.

Now is that the end or do more of you feel the need to tell me that I did not consider you feelings enough

SORRY!

Comment

I think that TJ's point is that the proof of the pudding is in the eating... You can use MIG, TIG, O/A, JB weld, or bubble gum as long as your welds consistently meet engineering requirements...

No offense, but if you don't know what a PQR is then you probably aren't in the welding business. The commonly used welding codes require that all welding be performed in accordance with a written welding procedure specification (WPS). A WPS is written instructions for a welder defining how to make a good weld. Some welds are so basic and proven that they can be analagous to a recipe in a cookbook: follow the recipe and your welds will meet performance requirements.

Other welds, depending on the materials and processes, are more challenging and require that you provide your own recipe to achieve performance requirements. When there is no pre-qualified "recipe", you have to prove that you can make good welds per your own recipe, recording the testing on a PQR, or Procedure Qualification Record. Once the recipe is proven and tested, the WPS for the welder can be written based on the PQR.

I didn't read that TJ is saying that his way is the best... I think that he is saying that there are many ways to weld 4130 and how you "feel" about a particular process is irrelevant if that process is capable of producing welds with acceptable performance.

As far as I know, oxy-acetylene is still the preferred method for joining 4130 tubing for airframes. Why not GTAW??? Because O/A welding meets engineering requirements...

Regards,
            Bill
            "The more I learn about welding the more I find there is to learn..."

Comment

Originally posted by BillC View Post
              No offense, but if you don't know what a PQR is then you probably aren't in the welding business.
              oh yea eh, lets get a show of hand's here, how many canadian's or people outside of the united states know what 'PQR's are, or use them on a regular basis

or mabye how many american's know what w47.1 or w47.2 standard is, or bill c45

a 'pqr' is an aws thing, why on earth would i know or use 'pqr's made up by the american welding society, key word being american, we have differant standard boards in canada, as a result welding is done to CSA and CWB standards using CSA and CWB weld procedures

and i have yet to see your 'PQR' or more commonly know name 'weld procedure' for 4130, do you yourself know the 'proper' procedure
              mm210
              maxstar 150

Comment

know what 'PQR's are, or use them on a regular basis

Originally Posted by BillC
                No offense, but if you don't know what a PQR is then you probably aren't in the welding business.
                I have to agree, have never read a code book on welding, really cant recall ever seeing one and even when I was working in the trades all that didn't mean much to me, someone pointed to the test booth and I did it. I leave it to the book types. Could have cared less what code it was under and like fab said, we just kind of generally know the procedure which is the way about 95% of the worlds welding work is done. All the qualification has its place but on the job I certainly don't think about it. Like a lot of things, they get done differently out there than they are written. Ask Carl about electrode storage, ask me about all those safety rules you can read then spend some time on a gettin ******** job. Ok, erecktion job then.

Comment

Originally posted by phaxtris
                  oh yea eh, lets get a show of hand's here, how many canadian's or people outside of the united states know what 'PQR's are, or use them on a regular basis

a 'pqr' is an aws thing, why on earth would i know or use 'pqr's made up by the american welding society, key word being american, we have differant standard boards in canada, as a result welding is done to CSA and CWB standards using CSA and CWB weld procedures

and i have yet to see your 'PQR' or more commonly know name 'weld procedure' for 4130, do you yourself know the 'proper' procedure
                  Good grief Charlie Brown: did you not read what BillC wrote or what I wrote. Do you read? Can you not infer anything besides a personal attack?

So now you are saying I offended you and all of Canada because I talked about AWS as apposed to the CWB. Get a life. I am in the USA why would I care about the Canadian standards. As the AWS serves as the world leader in welding standardization and I am in the USA and that my cliental requires me to work to the AWS standard and I am a former AWS CWI this is what I speak to.
                  The CWB has very similar requirements to the AWS the terms are different because you folks never got out from under the thumb of the British Crown. What about the people not from either country. Good thing they have the ISO.
                  As to your foolish question that’s shows definitively that you do not read or understand what you do read and I quote “ and i have yet to see your 'PQR' or more commonly know name 'weld procedure' for 4130, do you yourself know the 'proper' procedure” .

Your use of the word “proper”, there is no one proper way to weld anything. If you in your wonderful world come up with an idea as to welding 4130 or anything else and you can prove it will function as prescribed for its application then you can have the “proper” way to weld.

Until then Pull your head out I think you are suffering from a lacking of oxygen.

form a1 AWS PQR as follows.

Form A-1
                  Pass
                  No. Electrode Size
                  Welding Current Travel Speed
                  (or Weld Time for
                  Arc Spot Welds) Melting Rate
                  Wire
                  Feed
                  Amperes Volts Speed
                  JOINTS (Table 4.1)
                  Type of Welded Joint(s) ________________________
                  one side____________ both sides ____________
                  BASE METAL (1.2)
                  Material specification type and grade:
                  Sheet steel _________ to ___________________
                  Thickness __________________________________
                  Support Steel
                  Thickness __________________________________
                  Base Metal Preparation________________________
                  POSITIONS (Table 1.2)
                  Position of Groove ____________________________
                  Position of Fillet ______________________________
                  Progression _________________________________
                  GAS (1.4.6.2)
                  Shielding Gas ________ Flow Rate _____________
                  Percent Mixture_______________________________
                  FLUX (1.4.5.2)
                  Filler Metal (Table 1.1):
                  Specification _________________________________
                  Classification ________________________________
                  COATING(S)
                  Type _______________________________________
                  Thickness ___________________________________
                  SAMPLE FORM FOR WELDING PROCEDURE QUALIFICATION TEST RECORD (PQR)
                  Company Name __________________________________________________ ________________________________
                  Procedure Qualification Test Record No. ____________________________________ Date ___________________
                  Welding Procedure Specification No._______________________ Rev __________ Date ___________________
                  Welding Process(es) ___________________________________ Type ____________________________________
                  (Automatic, manual, etc.)
                  Mode of Transfer for GMAW______________________________________________ ___________________________
                  (Short circuiting, spray, etc.)
                  end

TJ

Comment

Originally posted by One Arm Steve View Post
                    Ok you asked for it. I have been riding bikes with Chromoly frames for over 20 years so I know what I'm talking about. I think you need some glasses because I never called it cromoly, take a second look. Also aint is not a word.

ain't
                    One entry found for ain't.

Main Entry: ain't
                    Pronunciation: 'Ant
                    Etymology: contraction of are not
                    1 : am not : are not : is not
                    2 : have not : has not
                    3 : do not : does not : did not -- used in some varieties of Black English
                    usage Although widely disapproved as nonstandard and more common in the habitual speech of the less educated,
                    ain't in senses 1 and 2 is flourishing in American English. It is used in both speech and writing to catch attention and to gain emphasis <the wackiness of movies, once so deliciously amusing, ain't funny anymore -- Richard Schickel> <I am telling you--there ain't going to be any blackmail -- R. M. Nixon>. It is used especially in journalistic prose as part of a consistently informal style <the creative process ain't easy -- Mike Royko>. This informal ain't is commonly distinguished from habitual ain't by its frequent occurrence in fixed constructions and phrases <well--class it ain't -- Cleveland Amory> <for money? say it ain't so, Jimmy! -- Andy Rooney> <you ain't seen nothing yet> <that ain't hay> <two out of three ain't bad> <if it ain't broke, don't fix it>. In fiction ain't is used for purposes of characterization; in familiar correspondence it tends to be the mark of a warm personal friendship. It is also used for metrical reasons in popular songs <Ain't She Sweet> <It Ain't Necessarily So>. Our evidence shows British use to be much the same as American.
                    You are right you called it

" One Arm Steve
                    Junior Member Join Date: Nov 2006

Its called Chromoly."

But that is just like the aint thing. a "nonstandard" term whitch is what I was raving about in the first place.

I stand corrected. thanks for pointing out my error

TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                      know what 'PQR's are, or use them on a regular basis

Originally Posted by BillC
                      I have to agree, have never read a code book on welding, really cant recall ever seeing one and even when I was working in the trades all that didn't mean much to me, someone pointed to the test booth and I did it. I leave it to the book types. Could have cared less what code it was under and like fab said, we just kind of generally know the procedure which is the way about 95% of the worlds welding work is done. All the qualification has its place but on the job I certainly don't think about it. Like a lot of things, they get done differently out there than they are written. Ask Carl about electrode storage, ask me about all those safety rules you can read then spend some time on a gettin ******** job. Ok, erecktion job then.
                      yea and what you guys are saying is if someone doesnt know what a pqr is, a fancy american term for welding procedure, you dont know or work in industry, give me a break, you think because americans use the term PQR everyone does, i work in an iso and cwb cert company, we have no book filled with PQR's, plent of books filled with welding procedures and welding codes

i have yet to see another canadian reply saying that they use these famous PQR's you guys talk about, mabye because we dont call them the same thing, and you guys being so full of it cant see even begin to understand why someone from another country has never heard of a 'PQR', and because of that they dont have a clue
                      mm210
                      maxstar 150

Comment

yea and what you guys are saying is if someone doesnt know what a pqr is, a fancy american term for welding procedure, you dont know or work in industry, give me a break, you think because americans use the term PQR everyone does, i work in an iso and cwb cert company, we have no book filled with PQR's, plent of books filled with welding procedures and welding codes

i have yet to see another canadian reply saying that they use these famous PQR's you guys talk about, mabye because we dont call them the same thing, and you guys being so full of it cant see even begin to understand why someone from another country has never heard of a 'PQR', and because of that they dont have a clue
                        No that is not what I am saying I am saying that you have in your shop some thing that is the equal to thr PQR I don't know what it because of the same reason you don't know about PQR

This whole thing started because I wanted to point out the so many peoplw wrer telling this guy that they had "the way" to weld what he wanted welded. and that is so far from reality. I'll bet he could use any of the procedrues he was told about and ride his bike for a long time with no issues.

The AWS may be the leader in welding standards it is not the the final answer. I m not a member because they want to suck too much money for what they offer. I do not agree with all things AWS. As you know their are a thousand ways to skin a cat wich one is the best/ My way of course lol...

TJ

Comment

i wasnt trying to start a **** fest, what i was trying to get at is your thread would have been much more effective had you actually informed of the aws procedure for welding 4130 instead of trying to make other board members look stupid, ive been on many forums over the years and thats a gaurnteed **** fest starter

and yes we do have many books filled with welding procedures, under w47.1 and w47.2 and several other codes, very large binders, i try to stay away and do my job as best i know how, i leave it up to the qa guys to inform me of any new or incorrect procedures

no hard feelings

and for the record, chromoly and chrome moly are both common abreviations for 4130, 4130 is chromium-molybdenum steel, so your both wrong
                          mm210
                          maxstar 150

Comment

OWNED !

lol
                            mm210
                            maxstar 150

Comment

i wasnt trying to start a **** fest, what i was trying to get at is your thread would have been much more effective had you actually informed of the aws procedure for welding 4130 instead of trying to make other board members look stupid, ive been on many forums over the years and thats a gaurnteed **** fest starter

no hard feelings

and for the record, chromoly and chrome moly are both common abreviations for 4130, 4130 is chromium-molybdenum steel, so your both wrong
                              No problems here
                              I did not see it at the time that any one person or a group of people would take it so personal. I just let my mouth lead the way and as usual it filled up with foot. lol
                              I see welding in this light: on any given day MY weld will be holding up a beam that can weigh hundreds of pounds per foot with people working /living under that beam. It has to be right. I don't want to live with the thought that my weld failed and some kid, mother, dad was hurt.
                              I welded trailer hitches to semi truck trailers so they could haul dubbel trailers. I hated when the boss foreman not owner would come out and try to cut corners I always was thinking of my mother riding behind that trailer. It had to be right. I wanted proof that the engenering was sound that I had enough weld of a big enough size. thus the recipe for the weld in AWS terms WPS welding procedure spesifacation. If you or any body would like mor info on WPS PQR or most anything reguarding "code welding I will do my best to find the correct answers for you I enjoy doing it as it re-enforces my ablities to find the info as well teaches me things along the way. All of this was with out sp check hold me to no errors.

TJ

Comment

Originally posted by phaxtris

a 'pqr' is an aws thing, why on earth would i know or use 'pqr's made up by the american welding society, key word being american, we have differant standard boards in canada, as a result welding is done to CSA and CWB standards using CSA and CWB weld procedures.
                                Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a border conflict. Canadian, American, or European, the codes contain many of the same concepts. All I was trying to do in my previous post was elaborate on the concept of a PQR and how it (or the equivalent) is used to support a written welding procedure. You probably don't qualify new procedures on a regular basis, but if you are performing welding to a code then you have welding procedures.

I think that working welders should understand that procedures are based on testing. From Cary's response I guess I was wrong in assuming that welders are provided with procedures when they are qualifying or performing code work. It sounds like everybody is either told what to do or just "knows" what to do from experience.

CSA prescribes WPSs and WPDSs. Is there a CSA equivalent to a PQR? Is it the WPDS? How do you qualify welding procedures for CSA/CWB code work per your structural steel welding code W59?

Regards,
                                Bill
                                "The more I learn about welding the more I find there is to learn..."

Comment

Working...
                                X