Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AL covers

To All,
    I need to make covers for a piece of [email protected] out of AL and,as much as I hate to admit, I'm not sure of what type Al that I need to order. Most of the AL I repair is an unkown type...........I usually weld it with 4043 OR 5356.
    Ant advice as to the # I should request????????5356 4043 6061!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you in advance!
    Mike
    MACH4
    [email protected]

Most widely used Al around here is 6061 or 5052. Are you going to need to form any of the parts? If so, you will want to go with 5052 as 6061 will crack. If not, either will work just fine and I would go with what is less expensive. A little more info might be helpful though as to what kind of conditions will it be subjected to and what kind of finish are you thinking of. Both 6061 and 5052 have their strengths so knowing a bit more about your job would get you a better answer.
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Aluminum

Agreed,
      What alloy you want is dependant upon what you need to do to it.
      5052 has good corrosion resistance, is not heat treated, and can be formed easily on the "0" condition, if you get H16 or H32 you may have to anneal if you have heavy forming to do.

6061 has higher tensile strength, slightly less corrosing resistance (if bare it has none), is heat treatable, and is easy to form in the T0 condition. If you buy T4 or T6 you can do a heat/quench to anneal it to T0 condition, and the hardness will return to almost what you originally had in about 30 hours or so.

3003 is nice and soft, doesnt work harden very fast, very good corrosion resistance and is welded easily with 1100 filler.
      "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
      Miller Dynasty 200DX
      Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
      Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
      Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Comment

KB and Aero, great info. I'm a bit curious about how 6061 would weather in a natural environment compared to 5052. Would there be much difference? I'm thinking in terms of something like these equipment covers Mike is doing, or a welding deck in my case.
        hre

Comment

COAL,
          6061 alclad is not too bad provided you are not in a costal area or anyplace that has road salt. I would still etch, alodine, and epoxy prime it though. 5052 is a natrual for outdoor environments as it builds its own oxide layer (transparent) within minutes. 5052 is used heavily in the marine industry for this reason, but it has some fatigue problems.

-Aaron
          "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
          Miller Dynasty 200DX
          Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
          Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
          Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Comment

Originally posted by Aerometalworker View Post
            COAL,
            6061 alclad is not too bad provided you are not in a costal area or anyplace that has road salt. I would still etch, alodine, and epoxy prime it though. 5052 is a natrual for outdoor environments as it builds its own oxide layer (transparent) within minutes. 5052 is used heavily in the marine industry for this reason, but it has some fatigue problems.

-Aaron
            He's right on Coal. Remember that boat dodger I made? I went with 5052 for the exact reasons that Aaron stated. I like working with 5052 myself, It welds really nice to.
            Dynasty 350DX
            Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
            MM 350P
            MM Passport Plus
            Spectrum 375 Extreme
            08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Thank you guys for the info, very much appreciated. I live in the land of road salt and I really don't want to paint my next deck. My local supplier stocks 6061 so I'll have to find a source for 5052 for the next deck. I'm really glad I asked
              hre

Comment

Just abit more info on the covers I asked about yesterday[Thurs.]These covers are for product[threonine]chutes that carry product"cake" to receiver bins. The covers are to allow the maint. people a "safety" when working on the the press system.I put in a requisition today for either 5052 or 6061 material. The covers will not support any weight other than their own, and the only "known" contaminant is H2O.Thanks for the info!
                Mike
                MACH4

Comment

Aluminum

I work in commerical truck and I use 6061 I either get benable or none to me it doese'nt matter because if it's not I pre heat to about 500F using a temple stick then quench and it will bent a sharp 90 with out breaking or spliting at the corners I weld it with 5356 this is what I would use to build your box or cover.

Comment

I use 5052-H14 .090" rolled sheets for parts I manufacture. This alloy forms well in the pressprake, welds easy, and is very durable. I weld it to 6061-T6 machined parts with 5356 filler.
                    MILLER DYNASTY 200 DX
                    MILLER COOLMATE 3

Comment

Working...
                    X