Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kohler!!!!

Comment

Kohler is the engine manufacturer that both John Deere and International Harvester used That's gotta say something about the company.....

I've personally experienced one on the governor pulling hard for hours on end, as well as a Kohler living at 6000RPM and putting out close to 60HP.... And knowing what they look like on the inside(doing one now), can say they're stout..
      Curt
      Dynasty 200Dx
      Millermatic 185

Hypertherm 600

Comment

Welder Tue Up KIts

Miller has tune up kits for Kohler, Robin, Kubota and Onan engines on their welders these come with the plugs,fuel filter, air filter and pre filter and oil filters . We carry them all at

http://www.brweldingsupplies.com/par...ndex.cfm?ID=66

Comment

Kohler,good company they stand behind thier products.They might be rebadging some of thier smaller engines, as I believe The Blue Star 185 engine is made by Yamaha.

Piper

Comment

2 Cents

Originally posted by Miller John View Post
            Railmen,
            Living in Canada does change my tune a tad. The Kohler is a little more friendly in cold weather and if cold ever does become a problem, Kohler has a couple cold weather kits that can be used. Our Canadian customers tell me that Kohler has more service and support outlets where they are needed in Canada as well.

Have fun with your new machine
            I have an 06 TB302G with the 20 horse Kohler that I ran at -47c (ouch, I know) and I just ordered an 07 with the new 23 horse and with synthetic oil in them u can't go wrong. The Kohlers have never let me down in extreme heat or cold. You can get parts anywhere which i rarely need in the first place. The other thing is that they run so smooth that it reflects in a super smooth arc that u used to only get from the big diesels. Have fun with your new toy and regardless of engine, you are gonna love that TB.
            owner of EVOLUTION WELDING

Comment

The Kohler is easy to get parts for, there has been a pushrod problem with them,ie, rockers comming loose and letting go of the push rods, no damage other than a $2 push rod replacement.

When the Kohler finally wears out (around 3000-5000 hrs) It's relitively simple and inexpensive to over haul. When the Robin / Onan needs an overhaul, it's way cheaper to buy another welder at that point than to spend the big dollar on an overhaul or replacement engine.

Don't like the cold weather kits, I find they bake the oil, a more simple solution is to seal the back of the top plastic air cleaner shroud with a piece of radiant insulation, simply doesn't allow cold air to freeze the back of the carb. And it's 50 cent reliable and hassle free fix.

Comment

Seems like most would pick the Kohler. I agree, Nothing wrong with Onan and there are lots around but the new Kohlers run very well with little maintenance. Its the same engine most "big" commercial mowers use so parts are easy to get. Kohler had some head gasket issues at first with the new V-style engines, but now seem to be great. Not to mention the new kohlers sound awesome
                Scott
                HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

Originally posted by brwelder View Post

Miller has tune up kits for Kohler, Robin, Kubota and Onan engines on their welders these come with the plugs,fuel filter, air filter and pre filter and oil filters . We carry them all at

http://www.brweldingsupplies.com/par...ndex.cfm?ID=66
                  Hey BR, Where's White Plains MD?
                  Scott

Comment

Just got a new TB 302 with the Robin, only have 2 hrs. on it but will let everyone know if I have any problems with it. So far so good.

I figure when I get about 25 to 50 hrs. on it I will switch to synthetic as I use that in all of my other small engines.
                    Trailblazer 302
                    Lincoln SP-135-T
                    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
                    Smith torch
                    Spoolmatic 30A

Comment

I have a Ranger 8 with Onan power It just passed 1200 hours I have no idea how old it is I bought it used for $400 added $200 for a fan, battery, filters and oil. Runs just fine.
                      TJ______________________________________

Comment

Since I work for a dirt moving outfit I lean towards diesel motors. Fuel is everywhere more so than gas. At two clock in AM and welder puckers, gas is hard to find, but I'm surrounded by diesel machines.

Comment

I wonder which engine is the quietest, or should i say the least irritating to listen to all day? Anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by ShieldArc View Post
                            I wonder which engine is the quietest, or should i say the least irritating to listen to all day? Anyone know?
                            The Kohler seems pretty quiet. Our Diesels are very loud [high RPM] The new "Big Blue air pac" is pretty quiet. It has a Duetz in it [diesel, 64hp]
                            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by ShieldArc View Post
                              Between the Kohler and the Robin, the Kohler is quieter by 1db. The Kubota Diesels are 5db louder. Kohler,75.5 db....Robin 76.5db and the Kubota is 80.5db. Not too much difference.

I have to be in close proximity to a low rpm diesel extremely often. They can be just as irritating as a high rpm gasser. Been listening to the high rpm gassers for over 20 years now. They will bother you if you let them. Mind over matter....or noise.
                              Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                              '06 12RC feeder
                              Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                              Esab Multimaster 260
                              Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

The kohler is a V-twin, what is the others?

Comment

Working...
                                X