Counting inches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counting inches

Wondering if I have this right. When counting inches sch'd 40 equals 1.5x's, and sch'd 80 equals 2x's.

8" sch'd 40 pipe= 12"
    8" sch'd 80 pipe= 16"

Correct?

BigRed

Not too sure of your question but check out this site for pipe dimension and respective schedule number.

http://www.onlinepipe.com/pipechart.html

Comment

If you're talking about production, I've always been under the assumption that if its 8" pipe, its called 8" of weld. Interested to know if I've been giving them more than I had to all these years!

Comment

Question is making sense now. Different world out there.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed
          Wondering if I have this right. When counting inches sch'd 40 equals 1.5x's, and sch'd 80 equals 2x's.

8" sch'd 40 pipe= 12"
          8" sch'd 80 pipe= 16"

Correct?
          Hi BigRed,
          In my experience inches have always been counted like this:

Sch. 40 = nominal pipe size ( example 8" 40 = 8 inches of weld )
          Sch. 80 - 4" and up = 1.5 times ( example 6" 80 = 9 inches of weld)
          That is how most places that I have worked have counted them.
          Remember, this is the Interweb so the above information may not be 100% correct
          JIM REID
          2004 Lincoln 300D Kubota
          2001 GMC 3500 c/w deck
          Assortment of tools that keeps growing

Comment

Originally posted by Irwelder View Post
            Hi BigRed,

you sir are correct sch40 2" to whatever is nominal pipe size anything over sch40 is pro rated carbon is one thing stainless monel and inconel are more.

Comment

big inches

Hi BigRed,

I ve always counted as 8" pipe= 8" . On a good day I am about 70-75" in a 10hr day But I do like Irwelders way cause that would mean I would get more
              inches in a day, at least on paper Its funny when guys boast about 130+ inches in a day(or so they say) cause we all get let go at the end of the job, thats when the real inches are laid on the table

Irwelder where have you been? Your pockets must be full of coin If you've been work'en this whole time Is it slow up in GP? I know some guys from up there and the one guy(consultant) for Conaco philps says it will be a real dead sumer up their he says it wont fire again until next fall
              DODGE 1 TON 6.7
              PIPEPRO 304
              TO MANY TOOLS
              JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
              rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
              and easily upset
              go flames go

Comment

Please note that this is not the actual inches of weld but just the way it is counted on a pipeline I'm assuming? To find the actual inches of weld you would multiply diameter x pi (3.1416) x amount of passes. An 8" pipe is approximatly 25" in circumference.
                MM250
                Trailblazer 250g
                22a feeder
                Lincoln ac/dc 225
                Victor O/A
                MM200 black face
                Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                Arco roto-phase model M
                Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                Miller spectrum 875
                30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                Syncrowave 250
                RCCS-14

Comment

I have always concidered
                  8" pipe equals 8" weld
                  Then you take diameter X wall thickness + 20% clean up
                  8" pipe with 1/2" wall thickness = 4 hours + 20% clean up = (+ - ) 40 minutes
                  That would be for an Xray quality weld.
                  Thats what I bid my work at.
                  Hope this helps?
                  Terence

Comment

Originally posted by pipeline Dan View Post
                    I ve always counted as 8" pipe= 8" . On a good day I am about 70-75" in a 10hr day But I do like Irwelders way cause that would mean I would get more
                    inches in a day, at least on paper Its funny when guys boast about 130+ inches in a day(or so they say) cause we all get let go at the end of the job, thats when the real inches are laid on the table

Irwelder where have you been? Your pockets must be full of coin If you've been work'en this whole time Is it slow up in GP? I know some guys from up there and the one guy(consultant) for Conaco philps says it will be a real dead sumer up their he says it wont fire again until next fall
                    Hi Dan,
                    For some reason my computer won't let me log in to the forum and I have been lurking the forum since October 2006. I decided to try my Kid's computer and I am able to log in from it, and that is how I was able to post today, finally.
                    It is not overly busy up here right now. However there are many fellow welders not working. Fortunately, I have been working fairly steadily since Christmas and was very busy up until Christmas.
                    Might pick up in awhile?? I still say the Oil companies are trying to get the price of services down by backing off on projects until they can get a lower price for labour , etc. That's my opinion anyway.
                    Some of the consultants that I have known for years are saying that it will be even slower after this winter. Hopefully that info is incorrect but I guess all we can do is wait and see what happens. The biggest problem with the slowdown is that we have so many people that have gotten into the trade in the past few years. Nothing wrong with that, but when it gets slower rate cutting, etc. etc. happens..... there are reports of a few rig welders telling dispatcher's that they will work for way below the going rate just so they can work. Luckily they haven't been taken up on their offers ...yet.
                    Remember, this is the Interweb so the above information may not be 100% correct
                    JIM REID
                    2004 Lincoln 300D Kubota
                    2001 GMC 3500 c/w deck
                    Assortment of tools that keeps growing

Comment

Hi Dan,
                      I still say the Oil companies are trying to get the price of services down by backing off on projects until they can get a lower price for labour , etc. .
                      The biggest problem with the slowdown is that we have so many people that have gotten into the trade in the past few years. Nothing wrong with that, but when it gets slower rate cutting, etc. etc. happens..... there are reports of a few rig welders telling dispatcher's that they will work for way below the going rate just so they can work. Luckily they haven't been taken up on their offers ...yet.
                      Ya thats the way it is aready going, Fort Mac is at 78 as compared too 2 years a go, cause nobody wanted to go and they where paying 100+. Now l
                      see "welders" from out east will work for anything cause there's no work back home. I am all for guys doing better for their familes and coming here to work but dont come here and scr*w it for the rest of us I see it like this, They mabe only get say 40-50per hr back home, Come to Alberta for
                      almost double that @ around 80. Stay for 6 months make your money and
                      go home and sit on your ace for the rest of the year It shows what kind of guys they are cause they could be getting 115+ per hr but no lets scr*w over the guys that made that rate in the first place When I go get coffee from Timmys in the morning I see all kinds of trucks from out
                      east. they are all loaded with wood tools and they them selves are grease *****, hailed out look'en guys and there building houses left right
                      and center. Ya its funny cause Alberta Is the way it is today cause of hard work, drive, take'n a gamble kind of stuff and its all going down the drain as each day goes by. By the time the big dogs in the government catch on
                      it will be too late and we'll be along time before it gets back to the way it
                      was. I've heard of a few outfits that have had to pack it in already, just wait
                      until springbreak up I think you'll see alot of companies start selling out
                      DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                      PIPEPRO 304
                      TO MANY TOOLS
                      JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                      and easily upset
                      go flames go

Comment

I heard the price of natural gas was way down, so there is no big push for it. Alteast thats what I heard for BC. I doubt it has much to do with the rates, they make so much money of oil and gas that paying a guy 20 bucks less wouldn't be enough reason to slow all operations down. Atleast thats what I think. Like everything, shoulda been there last year.

Comment

Well I guess we will just have to go where no one else is willing to good to make the bike bucks. Hey Lynx, didn't you say they're pipeling at the north pole

Comment

union welders

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
                            Well I guess we will just have to go where no one else is willing to good to make the bike bucks. Hey Lynx, didn't you say they're pipeling at the north pole
                            Ya I heard that as well but it seems like its all union stuff and you are by
                            hand
                            DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                            PIPEPRO 304
                            TO MANY TOOLS
                            JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                            and easily upset
                            go flames go

Comment

Hey what about the pipeline that was going in between kitimat and Edmonton then back again? I know local 170 bid on that job i'm not sure if they won the bid but i'm pretty sure they did.then the whole thing got put on hold whats up with that?this was going to employ over 5000 jobs directly and indirectly.

Darmik

Comment

Working...
                              X