Machining a MIG weld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machining a MIG weld

I am just a hobbiest but have a hard time machining a mig weld (mild steel) as it is so hard on bridgeport cutters. Any thoughts? Do I need to go with another process?

Originally posted by cgustafs View Post
    I am just a hobbiest but have a hard time machining a mig weld (mild steel) as it is so hard on bridgeport cutters. Any thoughts? Do I need to go with another process?
    What feeds and speeds are you using? Cutter type? Depth of cut? Are you using oil?

Comment

You might try annealing the weld brfore machining?

TJ
      TJ______________________________________

Comment

Is that big thing necassary???
        I usualy have no problem with machining mig welds. They seem a little gummy at times. I usualy use no larger than 1/2 4 flute carbide cutter, in high gear low speed, with a coolant mister. A rougher mill will cut .500 deep full dia no problem, a straight spiral I never use more than 1/2 diameter and 1/2 the depth. With a manual machine I use steady pressure on the handle.
        Trailblazer 302g
        coolmate4
        hf-251d-1
        super s-32p
        you can never know enough

Comment

Originally posted by dyn88 View Post
          Is that big thing necassary???
          I usualy have no problem with machining mig welds. They seem a little gummy at times. I usualy use no larger than 1/2 4 flute carbide cutter, in high gear low speed, with a coolant mister. A rougher mill will cut .500 deep full dia no problem, a straight spiral I never use more than 1/2 diameter and 1/2 the depth. With a manual machine I use steady pressure on the handle.
          I rarely use carbide tools on a Bridgeport unless I'm doing something like stainless. A 1/2 carbide cutter on mild steel is usually best around 2000-2500rpm. They don't like to be run slow. If the machine is up to it, spin it at 2k and see if that helps. If not, us a HSS cutter instead. Also, you are conventional cutting right? Only climb cut on a finish pass where you're taking off .005" at most on a manual mill.

If those tips don't help, then your weldment has hardened considerably and needs to be annealed.

Comment

Should machine pretty easy. I just tapped some 35mm holes that we completely welded up on a Wirtgen Milling machine strut. Tapped pretty easily. Dave

Comment

Working...
            X