Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller John
    replied
    Every engine in every thing I own seems different. In this case though, Kohler wants the dip stick pushed all the way in or screwed all the way in to get the proper level. Be careful not to overfill as too much oil (or especially oil that foams) will start to plug off the breather that drives the fuel pump starving your engine of fuel.

Leave a comment:

• weld-tek
    replied
    thanks cruizer,im having a tough time getting right.sticker on hood says just set dipstick on threads,and im doing that and getting different readings.sticker also says 1.6 quarts,but im using the big napa filter.oh well i will get it.

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    You'll find that with the exact oil installed as per data plate on the Kohlers, if you screw or plunge the dipstick in all the way in, you'll think that there is too much oil in your engine. This is checked after the engine is warm and ran up. now if you don't plunge the dipstick in or screw it in. The oil level is right on.

The oil level or pressure senders are finickly little buggers. Often if it senses a little oil present it allows the engine to work, but doesn't send any 12Vdc to the control boards to make them go.

Leave a comment:

• weld-tek
    replied
    im having a hard time getting mine rite,changed oil and filter,2 quarts of oil and seemed perfect.checked a couple days later and showed overfull,so drained a little out and looked perfect.worked yesterday and checked when i got to shop and it is showing low now.mine is screw type,and im checking by just setting cap on threads like manual says.

Leave a comment:

• Coalsmoke
    replied
    Sorry about that then, I thought they changed over for the 04 year.

Leave a comment:

• lramberson
    Guest replied
    My early 04 302G had the push down, my mid year 05 302LP has the screw type.

Leave a comment:

• g5spfan
    replied
    The manual I have was published in 2004 and appears to be a push cap type in the picture. Coalsmoke's must be the new type.

Leave a comment:

• Coalsmoke
    replied
    Originally posted by acx780 View Post
    Coalsmoke,
    It was a while ago when I was messing with these things. You are right, the newer engines are supposed to be checked by placing the dipstick in the tube and rotating it counterclockwise till the cap drops down. Not really much of a difference but that is what the manufacturer says. Then again if it had a Briggs.....
    I think the 2004 Kohler is the same as the 05 Kohler where you do exactly as you described, do you happen to know when they switched to the screw cap? I know mine is an 05 and it has the screw cap. I think g5spfan might be referring to an older model with those instructions

Leave a comment:

• acx780
    replied
    Coalsmoke,
    It was a while ago when I was messing with these things. You are right, the newer engines are supposed to be checked by placing the dipstick in the tube and rotating it counterclockwise till the cap drops down. Not really much of a difference but that is what the manufacturer says. Then again if it had a Briggs.....

Leave a comment:

• g5spfan
    replied
    The Kohler service manual says to fully seat the dipstick. See pic
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Coalsmoke
    replied
    according to kohler, you set the dipstick in put don't push it all the way down, and that's where you take your reading from. I think people often take readings when the dipstick is pushed all the way in or screwed all the way down (depending on M.Y.) and and therefore are running low on oil, which explains why so many people have low oil shutdown issues without know what the problem is, because as far as they are concerned the oil level looks fine, but in fact its at the bottom end of the level, now put your machine on a bit of a slope and you could be without oil pressure, hence the mysterious shutdowns.

When you say dirt on the bottom plate, what exactly do you mean by bottom plate, do you mean the intake plate that the filter sits on, or the plate that the welder sits on? I clean my cooling fins with a stiff bristled brush and always try to clean up and oil drips to promote a clean and cool engine.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Metal
    replied
    Makes sense to me.

MM

Leave a comment:

• acx780
    replied
    I have always checked the oil level in Kohler engines with the dipstick in the normal running position. I take a thin rag and run it down the dipstick tube and then check the oil level. At least that is the way I was taught in Kohler factory mechanics school.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Metal
    started a topic Trailblazer Oil Levels

Trailblazer Oil Levels

I have seen some conflicting info on the procedure for checking oil level on the dipstick. should it be read just prior to snaping the dip stick on the o ring. or should you snap it on the o ring pull it and read. Any help here would be appreciated. I also have some dirt deposits on the bottom plate.blown air is not removing it, too tight to get a vac or hand in there any ideas?
    2004 TB 302 w/ Kohler.

Thanks
    MM
Working...
X